Hi all,

I am completely new to jailbreaking and am worried about accidentally ruining the unlock. I have just bought a used iPhone 4 that is jailbroken and unlocked, and I got my new sim today and the phone works on my new network.

Before this phone, I had an iphone 3G that was NOT unlocked or jailbroken, and I would like to restore my texts, apps, notes, etc from my backup to this new unlocked/jailbroken phone. How, if possible, do I do this?

Version: 4.3.3 (8J2)
    Model MC318LL
    Firmware 04.10.01

Thanks,
    2011-06-26 05:36 AM
    Hi all,

I am completely new to jailbreaking and am worried about accidentally ruining the unlock. I have just bought a used iPhone 4 that is jailbroken and unlocked, and I got my new sim today and the phone works on my new network.

Before this phone, I had an iphone 3G that was NOT unlocked or jailbroken, and I would like to restore my texts, apps, notes, etc from my backup to this new unlocked/jailbroken phone. How, if possible, do I do this?

Version: 4.3.3 (8J2)
    Model MC318LL
    Firmware 04.10.01

Thanks,
    Just restore the iphone 4 from the last previous backup of the 3g. Since the firmware was lower it will backup like normal. Seeing as you are on a 04.10.01 baseband there is nothing to preserve and the only unlock that will work will be a gevey sim unless its already factory unlocked.
    2011-06-26 05:42 AM
    ihappy,

Thanks for the quick reply. Two question:

1. Unlocking : I am using something called Turbo Sim (not sure if this is the same sort of thing as the gevey sim you mentioned). Can you confirm for me that you foresee no issues with it still working if I restore?

2. Jailbreaking :If I restore, will my jailbreak still be there or do I need to jailbreak again?

thanks,
    2011-06-26 06:11 AM
    ihappy,

Thanks for the quick reply. Two question:

1. Unlocking : I am using something called Turbo Sim (not sure if this is the same sort of thing as the gevey sim you mentioned). Can you confirm for me that you foresee no issues with it still working if I restore?

2. Jailbreaking :If I restore, will my jailbreak still be there or do I need to jailbreak again?

thanks,
    1. A Gevey sim is actually a turbo sim that does the unlock for you. Gevey is just the name as its the most talked about one. Depending on the type of turbo sim you have you shouldnt have any problems updating to a different firmware so long as the turbo sim supports said firmware.

2. Anytime and everytime you restore or update to a different firmware you will always have to re-jailbreak afterwards.
    Last edited by ihappy; 2011-06-26 at 07:14 AM. Reason: added info
    2011-06-26 07:10 AM
    ihappy,

Okay, so I did the restore and I got all my old text messages/photos/wallpaper back. However, only some of the apps were restored... plus, my phone is still jailbroken! You mentioned that I always need to re-jailbreak.

Question 1: Do I need to re-jailbreak because it is really glitchy? (I read something somewhere about loosing some storage... is that why it says I have only 14GB available?)

Question 2: Can I use my turbo sim and have a phone that is unlocked, but NOT jailbroken?

Question 2b: If I must re-jailbreak, how do I do this? (I bought the phone unlocked/jailbroken)

Thanks,
    2011-06-28 05:09 AM
    ihappy,

Okay, so I did the restore and I got all my old text messages/photos/wallpaper back. However, only some of the apps were restored... plus, my phone is still jailbroken! You mentioned that I always need to re-jailbreak.

Question 1: Do I need to re-jailbreak because it is really glitchy? (I read something somewhere about loosing some storage... is that why it says I have only 14GB available?)

Question 2: Can I use my turbo sim and have a phone that is unlocked, but NOT jailbroken?

Question 2b: If I must re-jailbreak, how do I do this? (I bought the phone unlocked/jailbroken)

Thanks,
    That was a restore of a backup. I thought you mean a complete restore of the fw. Those are two different things. The backup will not make you lose the jailbreak. The fw restore will make you re-jailbreak. As far as apps go. Only official apps are restored through itunes. All you cydia (jailbroken apps) would need to be backed up using a backup program on cydia.

If the phone is already unlocked using ultrasn0w (which I dont see how since you're on 4.10.01) then you wouldnt need the turbo sim. But seeing as how youre on a baseband that isnt unlockable you just need to follow the instructions that came with the turbo sim and if none came then just look up what turbo sim you have and search the net for instructions.

No re-jailbreak is required unless you restore/update your fw.
    Last edited by ihappy; 2011-06-28 at 05:52 AM.
    2011-06-28 05:49 AM
    ihappy,

Thanks again for your prompt and helpful responses.

So, my main thing is that I'm finding having my phone unlocked to be quite glitchy. Most of my apps are not syncing (more than half of my originally purchased apps are not loading on, plus majority of the cydia apps are crashing as soon as I click on them). Plus, my iphoto is not syncing well. Also, I don't know why I only now have 14GB available of total storage.

I was wondering if I could (and whether you think it is a good idea) unjailbreak my phone, AND still keep it unlocked using the turbo sim.
    2011-06-28 06:05 AM
    ihappy,

Thanks again for your prompt and helpful responses.

So, my main thing is that I'm finding having my phone unlocked to be quite glitchy. Most of my apps are not syncing (more than half of my originally purchased apps are not loading on, plus majority of the cydia apps are crashing as soon as I click on them). Plus, my iphoto is not syncing well. Also, I don't know why I only now have 14GB available of total storage.

I was wondering if I could (and whether you think it is a good idea) unjailbreak my phone, AND still keep it unlocked using the turbo sim.
    Yeah unfortunately using a turbo sim isn't gonna be perfect but it will unlock your device. So far all the turbo sims out (with the exception of the new gevey ultra) don't require you to be jailbroken so thats a matter of choice on your part.

If you feel you're having too many issues then I would restore the firmware and start over as a new phone. Why you are having so many problems is beyond me but most of the time when people do fw restores, they usually just start as new. Its possible the backup could be crashing your device. Keep in mind itunes won't save anything once you start as new a phone. That means all your texts, notes, etc. will not be restored.
    2011-06-28 06:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD