hello all
    i have a iphone 3gs version 3.1.3 (7e18)
    firmware 05.12.01
    model mc135ll
    it was a gift and is was already jailbroken and unlocked.
    can somebody tell me what i need to upgrade to 4.3.3
    i am new to all this so the simpler the better
    thank you all and sorry if this is something you've seen before

p.s i have windows xp
    2011-07-09 02:48 PM
    If unlocking the 3GS for use on any cellular network is important to you ....... always build and load a custom firmware ipsw ... no exceptions!! Whatever iOS version you load now and in the future, it should be custom built - Rule #1! By doing so, the modem firmware / baseband will remain untouched ... and unlockable with Ultrasn0w. Installing almost any standard Apple firmware will change the baseband and your unlock will be lost.

Next ... because it's a 3GS, SHSH blobs are required to load any version. Apple provides SHSH blobs for only the current version (4.3.3). Older versions could possibly have been saved by Cydia or Tiny Umbrella. Download TU ( The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella ), connect your iPhone, and select save SHSH. TU will identify your iPhone and retrieve SHSH blobs that are available. You may never need these, but they are good to have.

Finally ... 4.3.3 is a good version to load. It's unlockable (when loading a custom firmware), untethered, and Cydia apps & tweaks are updated. Apple is also authorizing 4.3.3 so the update should be smooth. iTunes may report error 1013 because the baseband was not updated. This is normal. Use TU to kick it out of the error.

Two utilities are available to create custom firmwares: PwnageTool (Mac) and Sn0wbreeze (PC) A good place to find tutorials is iClarified.Com / Tutorials.
    Use this: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.3.3] Using a Mac is the best. Sn0wbreeze does the same on a PC: iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    Both PwnageTool and Sn0wbreeze offer activation. Select this option if you don't have an authorized SIM.

Reading, re-reading, and understand the process is important. Don't jump unless you know what you're doing and where you're going.

Note: Many posts/tutorials use Redsn0w and the just released JailbreakMe3.com. These are great jailbreaking utilities, but don't use them or you will loose your unlock. Rule #1: Always build and load a custom firmware to preserve your unlock.

Good luck.
    2011-07-09 06:56 PM
    thank you Mes!!!
    2011-07-09 08:56 PM
    getting a error 1600 in itunes what is this? please help
    2011-07-10 01:06 AM
    The device must be in pwnd-DFU mode. You must follow the countdown timer from PwnageTool, Sn0wbreeze, Redsn0w, or iREB to enter this state.

iTunes Errors - The iPhone Wiki
    2011-07-10 01:58 AM
    ok i put it in dfu mode but know it says error 21?
    2011-07-10 10:10 AM
    i did it!!! first time upgrading!!!
    many thanks to Mes you are the best!!!
    2011-07-10 08:17 PM
    You are welcome. Glad it worked
    2011-07-10 08:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD