User Tag List

Okay, finally getting around to trying to format my iPod by putting it in DFU mode, I did so, and went in iTunes. The reason why I need to is because I tried to install Icy from a repo my friend recently added, I forgot the name. When I opened Icy, it set itself up, but froze partway through. I attempted to open it up again, but it crashed. The same thing happened to Cydia, and it probably would've happened to my other jailbreak apps had I checked before rebooting.

After rebooting, all my icons on my dock were deleted, and most stock applications, including FaceTime, Notes, Contacts, iPod (which I got from a jailbreak tweak, getting rid of the Music and Videos apps), Safari, iTunes, App Store, and some others. All the other applications worked, but the jailbreak applications were gone.

I decided to rejailbreak using redsn0w, thinking that I might be able to at least get Cydia back, or possibly overwrite the firmware and make it new.

This didn't work. I ended up with a white Cydia icon on my springboard. When I opened it, it claimed it was setting up the filesystem. It, once again, froze, so I rebooted the system (obviously not learning from my previous actions).

Nothing else had happened after that, and the Cydia icon was still white, but nothing else happened.

I decided that it was time to try and fix this (the reason why it was so complicated is because I had RecoveryGuard installed).

iTunes reported that it found an iDevice in Restore Mode after I put it in DFU mode.

I then downloaded FW 4.3.3, which I have on my device currently. I got an error before the restore process, but this was because the TSS Server from TinyUmbrella wasn't up. (Note that I do have the 4.3.3 SHSH blobs, and I also have the 4.3 and 4.2.1 SHSH blobs if needed.)

I activated it and restarted iTunes. I then tried to restore again. Before the restore started (but it got farther than before), I encountered error 1600, which is likely due to the fact that I'm not in a pwned DFU mode, or iBoot needs to be patched.

Okay, I need to know exactly what to do to fix this, and if I can't fix it with the current setup, can I kick it out of DFU mode? I'm pretty sure I can by using redsn0w again, or possibly sn0wbreeze.

Or would downgrading to 4.2.1 help (I refuse to downgrade to 4.3, due to it's horrible battery life and how glitchy it is unless necessary)?
    2011-08-04 08:28 PM
    If you get into pwned dfu mode with redsn0w, in TinyUmbrella click Save SHSHs then run the TSS server, then open iTunes to do the shift+restore to custom 4.3.3, you shouldn't have any errors. Do those steps in the specified order and you should succeed.

Edit: you can do it with custom 4.2.1 as well, just as long as you do the process in the right order and not missing a step
    2011-08-04 09:47 PM
    If you get into pwned dfu mode with redsn0w, in TinyUmbrella click Save SHSHs then run the TSS server, then open iTunes to do the shift+restore to custom 4.3.3, you shouldn't have any errors. Do those steps in the specified order and you should succeed.

Edit: you can do it with custom 4.2.1 as well, just as long as you do the process in the right order and not missing a step
    I can't save SHSH with TinyUmbrella, it fails to recognize the device, although in Log, it notices a device in DFU mode.

Should I still use redsn0w to enter the pwned DFU mode?
    2011-08-04 10:34 PM
    Does it allow you to start the TSS server?

Pwned DFU is absolutely required when restoring to custom firmwares.

Edit: pwned DFU does not equal regular/manual DFU. it must be done through redsn0w, pwnagetool, or iReb.
    2011-08-04 10:41 PM
    Yes. I'll try it now, my dad wants me to do it right now.

EDIT: My iPod, after it restored, said that it would restart, as normal. After that, it said it had to restore the device before it could be used. I'm assuming this is normal, going into recovery mode and having to restore a second time.

EDIT2: The iPod, after attempting to restore it a second time, ended with the same error as before, error 1600. TinyUmbrella now recognizes it and I have the option to 'Exit Recovery'. I'm assuming I'm in a recovery loop. I will await further instructions before proceeding.
    Last edited by CyphericAcid; 2011-08-04 at 11:13 PM.
    2011-08-04 10:56 PM
    You still got 1600 even after using redsn0w to enter DFU mode and restoring to a custom firmware?
    2011-08-05 02:53 AM
    You still got 1600 even after using redsn0w to enter DFU mode and restoring to a custom firmware?
    I was trying to restore to a stock 4.3..3 firmware, unmodified.

Should I make a custom firmware with sn0wbreeze or redsn0w?
    2011-08-05 01:44 PM
    Follow this
    Start tu
    Save shsh
    Start TSS server
    Open iTunes
    Shift restore 4.2.1

Edit : one question cfw on iPod ? Y??
    2011-08-05 01:51 PM
    Bc it's more convenient for some. Just restore and you are already jailbroken. No need for a restore to stock and jb after with a separate tool.
    2011-08-05 02:49 PM
    Bc it's more convenient for some. Just restore and you are already jailbroken. No need for a restore to stock and jb after with a separate tool.
    So do I just revive it with redsn0w by installing Cydia? Or make a custom firmware via sn0wbreeze and use iTunes to apply it?
    2011-08-05 07:28 PM
    First you wanted to use custom fw then you changed your mind and used a stock fw, could you please specify which method it is you want to use so that it would be less confusing in order to address what your next course of action would be?
    2011-08-05 07:35 PM
    First you wanted to use custom fw then you changed your mind and used a stock fw, could you please specify which method it is you want to use so that it would be less confusing in order to address what your next course of action would be?
    I never stated I wanted to use a custom firmware.

Whichever method is easier, though.
    2011-08-05 07:51 PM
    It doesn't matter it's personal preference. Each method has its own advantages.

So you have SHSHs and you want to get to 4.3.3, but you're erroring out. Running the TSS server and then opening iTunes to shift+restore to a stock 4.3.3 fw should be fine. It shouldn't give you any errors especially on an iPod.

You could try a custom fw if you're not having any luck with a stock fw for your restore to 4.3.3. A custom fw always requires pwned dfu mode before restoring to, so if you choose to do so don't forget to do that step (iReb or redsn0w will do pwned dfu)
    2011-08-05 08:38 PM
    It doesn't matter it's personal preference. Each method has its own advantages.

So you have SHSHs and you want to get to 4.3.3, but you're erroring out. Running the TSS server and then opening iTunes to shift+restore to a stock 4.3.3 fw should be fine. It shouldn't give you any errors especially on an iPod.

You could try a custom fw if you're not having any luck with a stock fw for your restore to 4.3.3. A custom fw always requires pwned dfu mode before restoring to, so if you choose to do so don't forget to do that step (iReb or redsn0w will do pwned dfu)
    I'll try the custom firmware, the above scenario is true.
    2011-08-05 08:48 PM
    Hope it works
    2011-08-05 08:59 PM
    Hope it works
    Can I get sn0wbreeze linked to me locally, or uploaded to FileTrip? Hotfile is not a very good site, according to MyWOT, and my computer doesn't play well with viruses, obviously.
    2011-08-06 07:41 PM
    ? Just go to ih8sn0w.com and download it
    2011-08-06 08:07 PM
    ? Just go to ih8sn0w.com and download it
    Nevermind.

Okay, I created a custom firmware with sn0wbreeze, kicked the device into pwned DFU mode via redsn0w, and had the TSS server running from TinyUmbrella.

I was about to leave for church. I direct iTunes to the custom firmware file, and it applied it. On my iPod's screen, I saw the sn0wbreeze logo, and a progress bar, appearing after the Apple logo, as normal.

I had to leave for church then. I came back later, to find iTunes stating that it found a device in Recovery Mode. This was the same as before, as if the device was stuck in a restore loop or DFU loop.

Should I kick the device out of DFU mode with something? If so, what?

Note that I don't have the SHSH blobs stored locally, as I thought I did. I do, however, have them on my Uncle's computer, I believe.

I can try to see if I can extract the SHSH blobs via TinyUmbrella or iFaith (allowing me to go to 4.1) if you'd like.
    2011-08-07 12:00 AM
    Yeah get the SHSHs with TinyUmbrella onto your computer and then start the TSS server and do the process again.

I'm trying to think why it's doing what it is, it happened to my iPod touch before too. Can't remember what I did to fix it. I'll get back to you on that.
    2011-08-07 01:34 AM
    Yeah get the SHSHs with TinyUmbrella onto your computer and then start the TSS server and do the process again.

I'm trying to think why it's doing what it is, it happened to my iPod touch before too. Can't remember what I did to fix it. I'll get back to you on that.
    Can't save the SHSH for the device. After turning off the TSS server, pressing Save SHSH does nothing.

I also tried to download IFaith from iH8tsn0w's website, but when selecting the Windows version, it says "Wait for update."

Is there any other tool I can recieve my SHSH Blobs from? TinyUmbrella has my ECID, so that's good.

Also, in TinyUmbrella, it says it can see a device in DFU Mode in the Log, but it doesn't see the device in the sidebar. It does, however, see the Recovery Device '1114119'.

I noticed that if it sees my ECID, it knows my SHSH blobs saved to Cydia, so that couldn't be the problem.

Also, a few more questions.

Why isn't the answer as simple as using a program to kick it out of the DFU Loop?

The only reason I couldn't just press 'Restore' to do this is because I installed RecoveryGuard. Obviously, the firmware has been overwritten multiple times now, so would I be able to just press 'Restore' on iTunes? At this point, I don't even care about jailbreaking, I can just downgrade afterwords, anyways.
    Last edited by CyphericAcid; 2011-08-07 at 08:13 PM.
    2011-08-07 08:10 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD