I've got a Jailbroken 3GS that is running 4.0.1. I've got loads of stuff on it that I obviously don't want to lose but I could do with upgrading the software on it. Is there any way of backing my phone up so I can upgrade the software without losing anything I've got on it or it changing any of the theme settings or anything?

Also, I'm trying to put a custom ringtone on my phone but I get this message when I try to sync it from iTunes;

I've already got a custom tone on my phone but I thought it would just be a simple case of overwriting it but I don't understand why its saying my phone is synced with another iTunes library because it isn't. I've never connected my phone to another computer and I've never synced it to another iTunes
    2011-08-09 10:36 PM
    Ok do this
    Copy ur tone
    Go to the ringtone menu
    Paste it..
    I used this method for ages on my mums phone when transferring songs/movies/ringtones from a pc that the phone was not synced to.. Don know If it works nowadays but no harm in trying

U can use pkgbackup for backing up jailbreak apps/tweaks.. For everything else iTunes works .. Btw pkgbackup backs up everything else too :-)

Hope it clears up ur doubts .. One more thing .. Seeing ur firmware u might wanna update preserving your baseband.. U would have an unlockable one afaik. :-)
    2011-08-09 10:43 PM
    Thanks for that. How does pkgbackup work? Is it a programme on my laptop? Will it restore my phone to exactly as it is now, just with a more up to date software?

Another thing, I've just opened iTunes without my phone being connected and theres absolutely nothing in my library. Whats happened there then?
    2011-08-12 09:37 PM
    Pkgbackup is a paid app from Cydia. It saves your JB data as a contact, so when you back up your contacts through iTunes and restore them later to the phone, you just have to reinstall pkgbackup and hit "restore" in the app to reinstall all your jb data.

I don't know why there's nothing in your library, sorry

Personally I back everything up manually, I don't rely on apps and programs to do it.

1) I create a backup, transfer purchases from my phone to my iTunes, transfer my photos to iPhoto just in case for some reason the iTunes backup doesn't load (if you're on Windows just copy/paste photos/vids from My Computer>Your Device since there is no iPhoto for Win) and SSH in to back up Ringtones, Themes, Wallpapers, etc.

2) I'll manually write down everything I have installed in Cydia, I've had aptbackup and pkgbackup fail on me before
    3) In iTunes under Info, transfer all contacts to Address Book (for Windows: Windows Contacts)

Then I feel safe and I'm all set But I always restore from backup so that all my settings come back, I usually manually reinstall Cydia packages as personal preference.
    2011-08-13 09:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD