i asked a phone guy at costco about jailbreaking and verizon, and he said you couldn't do it with verizon for some reason. I took what he said with a grain of salt, but I thought I'd ask here, anyway. I have a normal phone plan with verizon. Can I jailbreak my iphone and just add it to the plan without having to pay for 3g or whatever?

Second question: when iphone5 comes out, how long do you (anyone) think it will take before a good jailbreak program is out for it?

Thanks!
    mighty
    2011-08-10 09:11 AM
    You can jailbreak an iPhone on the Verizon network. My girlfriend recently purchased an iPhone 4 with 4.2.8 software, and jailbreak-me did the job.

ios5 is already jailbroken with redsnow. Though it is a tethered jailbreak. It is uncertain if an untether will ever come out for ios5, but with the current community of hackers im sure it will happen. It might take some time though.

Hope that helps,

AMS-Magic
    2011-08-10 10:09 AM
    if you have a reg verizon plan... u can still use your iphone... as a glorified "phone"... but w/o a data plan you won't be able to do the internet stuff unless there's wifi...
    2011-08-10 07:18 PM
    if you have a reg verizon plan... u can still use your iphone... as a glorified "phone"... but w/o a data plan you won't be able to do the internet stuff unless there's wifi...
    do I have to jailbreak my phone in order to do this, or can I just leave it how it is? The verizon guy said I would have to pay for 3g even if I bought the phone without a plan, then connected it.
    2011-08-10 08:30 PM
    New VZW iPhone can be jailbroken but if it is on fw 4.2.9 or 4.2.10 it will be tethered and buggy. Suggestion is to not jb it if it isn't on 4.2.8

Any iPhone purchase with contract with official carrier requires a data plan, you don't have a choice of whether you want it or not. You can of course use wifi if available, but like I said you'll still end up having a data plan.
    2011-08-10 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD