So, I recently received an iphone 3g from a friend for free, its not turning on and he said if I fixed it, I could just keep it, so obviously I'm here trying to make something of it aha! It doesn't turn on at all if it isn't connected to a power source, and when I do connect it to my computer, it will boot up and show the apple logo, then turn off after like 30 seconds and thats it. I managed to get it into dfu mode and tried to do multiple restores. I've put it into dfu mode and tried to restore to stock firmware 4.1, also the old 3.1.3 firmware. I've also entered pwned dfu mode through redsn0w, choosing the stock 4.1 firmware while doing this, then after entering the pwned dfu mode, opening itunes and trying to restore to a custom 4.1 firmware, which still results the same way. Each and every time I try to restore, it will extract software, then verify iphone restore with apple, then begins to prepare the phone for restore, it even looks like its about to restore, screen lights up, makes the itunes beeping sound when its connecting and disconnecting a few times, then screen turns white, and bam, error 23! Not really sure whats wrong with it, maybe a hardware issue. Oh, if it helps, I'm using itunes version 10.2.1.1. So yeah, if any of you could help me out or tell me whats wrong, it would be very greatly appreciated haha! Thanks in advance!
    2011-08-15 09:00 AM
    According to the iPhone wiki for error 23:

Cannot restore or update due to hardware problems.
    In software you have to set default web browser.
    In hardware, it's a communication problem. Check all connections, also try to change battery.
    faulty baseband flash or processor
    Happens frequently after water damage. Remove and clean motherboard.
    2011-08-15 09:36 AM
    According to the iPhone wiki for error 23:

Cannot restore or update due to hardware problems.
    In software you have to set default web browser.
    In hardware, it's a communication problem. Check all connections, also try to change battery.
    faulty baseband flash or processor
    Happens frequently after water damage. Remove and clean motherboard.
    So I just found out that my friend had updated firmware to 4.1 and flashed baseband to 6.15 so he could jailbreak and unlock, right now its still on 6.15, maybe its a baseband issue because I have opened it up and made sure all connections are good, don't think its been dropped in water...not really sure what else to try, I don't think I can downgrade baseband either?
    2011-08-15 07:41 PM
    Typically yes the iPad bb has side effects, but it shouldn't keep you from restoring to stock 3.1.3. All that would happen is you'd receive error 1015 and just exit recovery with TU. no problems there.

If your 3G has bootloader 5.8 you can downgrade the bb but you can't do so until you get the phone up and running. We can check for that later tho if you still want.

Try a custom fw for 3.1.3 instead if stock isn't working for you. Just remember to pit device into pwned dfu mode before restoring.

However if that doesn't work I'm inclined to say your device has some hardware damage.
    2011-08-15 08:25 PM
    Try changing other hardware pieces too, like the cable, USB port (no hub!!), different computer.
    2011-08-15 08:27 PM
    I'll download a custom 3.1.3 now and then let you know how it goes, also I have changed the usb cable and port, doesn't change anything. However, when I opened it up a little while ago, and checked to make sure all connectors were good, connector 3 seemed to be missing? Like there is connector 1 and 2, and then the 3rd one which should be right next to them isn't there. Not sure what that means, but the rest of the connectors were good.

Looks like my device has hardware damage, just put it into pwned dfu mode, and tried to restore to custom 3.1.3 firmware, no good, still got the same error 23. It's stuck on a white screen atm, but as soon as I unplug it from computer, it just turns right off. Maybe battery is fried?
    Last edited by Ela407; 2011-08-15 at 09:27 PM.
    2011-08-15 08:47 PM
    ...Maybe battery is fried?
    Could be .... or .... easily could be much worse. It doesn't hurt to try changing
    2011-08-15 09:30 PM
    Well apparently error 23 it tells you above to do multiple things like the battery, clean the main board, etc. Not exactly narrowing it down, until you can get to doing those things and figuring it out.
    2011-08-16 12:35 AM
    2011-08-16 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD