User Tag List

I'm on iphone 3gs vs 3.1.3 and I jailbroke it I want to update to latest version but want to know if I don't uninstall cydia before I update will apple brick my phone (or is this impossible). I have backed up on itunes, saved shsh on cydia and hd and will probably break again after update. And also will my back up restore my sms, pics, contacts and apps etc.

Cheers.
    2011-08-17 01:39 AM
    Warning: If you're not an AT&T customer and need an unlock, always restore with a custom firmware, never stock Apple

Don't mess with Cydia. In fact, don't delete anything. There's really no reason to do so .....

An iTunes backup / restore will restore sms, pics, contacts. A sync takes care of apps, music, etc

It's advisable to have more than 1 backup for contacts and calendar. Like sync'ing with Outlook or Google.
    2011-08-17 02:06 AM
    Warning: If you're not an AT&T customer and need an unlock, always restore with a custom firmware, never stock Apple

Don't mess with Cydia. In fact, don't delete anything. There's really no reason to do so .....

An iTunes backup / restore will restore sms, pics, contacts. A sync takes care of apps, music, etc

It's advisable to have more than 1 backup for contacts and calendar. Like sync'ing with Outlook or Google.
    Cheers for reply. I'm not on at&t don't know what you mean by custom firmware, where do I get it, I was going to just update from itunes is that ok. Before I do I would ssh my stuff just to make sure as well as an itunes back up. But should I restore before I update to vs 4.....
    2011-08-17 02:27 AM
    ....I was going to just update from itunes is that ok. ....
    NO!!!!!!!!!

If you're not an AT&T (or an authorized Apple carrier, or factory unlocked) you will not be able to use your SIM.

Before I begin .... I strongly suggest you read the links found in my signature below.
    Yea .... it's a lot of reading. But it's important to know.

Phone: 3GS
    Current iOS: 3.1.3
    Proposed iOS: ????????
    Modem firmware: ????

Download and run Tiny Umbrella (also in my sig below), and select Save SHSH with your phone connected.
    What is in the General screen?
    2011-08-17 02:35 AM
    ok, just to clarify I am on a registered carrier im on 02. So I should be able to itunes update without any probs....
    2011-08-17 02:44 AM
    ok, just to clarify I am on a registered carrier im on 02. So I should be able to itunes update without any probs....
    Almost yes......

An unlock is not important to you ... it makes your situation easier.
    However, the standard and current Apple update (4.3.5) is not fully jailbreakable.

If you want an untethered jailbreak, iOS 4.3.3 is the maximum. (current is 4.3.5)

That's why you need to run Tiny Umbrella and get your SHSH blobs (if any).
    With those blobs, your iOS restore options will be clear.
    No 4.3.3 SHSH blob = no restore to 4.3.3, etc, etc
    2011-08-17 03:08 AM
    ok got it, run tiny umbrella to back up current shsh then download ios 4.3.3 and install that then run restore from my back up on itunes to get my stuff back. But if I install from itunes know it will put on 4.3.5 and I'll have to wait until that ios is availeble to jailbreak. One more question how do I install an older ios.
    2011-08-17 03:32 AM
    ok got it, run tiny umbrella to back up current shsh...
    Yes ... We're hoping you have some

.... then download ios 4.3.3 and install ..
    Yes, If you have 4.3.3 SHSH blobs

...then run restore from my back up on itunes to get my stuff back. ...
    Yes, If you restored.

But if I install from itunes know it will put on 4.3.5 and I'll have to wait until that ios is availeble to jailbreak....
    Absolutely. Not a good idea

...One more question how do I install an older ios.
    Using TU + TSS Server and iTunes shift/click select 'older version' & restore
    2011-08-17 03:43 AM
    Thats great cheers for help......
    2011-08-17 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD