User Tag List

So I have an iPhone 3GS which is jailbroken and unlocked running 4.1 with bb 06.15.00. I want to upgrade the firmware (still need the phone to remain unlocked because I'm on Tmobile) because ios5 looks pretty cool, what are my options here? Can I upgrade to ios5 at all? Which versions can I upgrade to? And how would I go about doing it? Thanks!
    2012-07-30 06:00 AM
    Yes you can, but you need to make a "Custom Firmware" via snowbreeze or redsn0w with no BB Update and use that, also you will need to be in pwnDFU mode to upgrade to this CFW.
    For anything SB-HTML or Themeing based help feel free to MSG me!
    2012-07-30 06:19 AM
    Yes you can, but you need to make a "Custom Firmware" via snowbreeze or redsn0w with no BB Update and use that, also you will need to be in pwnDFU mode to upgrade to this CFW.
    Ok thanks! Do I need to worry about saving SHSH's or anything like that? Can you tell me which version of ios5 I'd be able to upgrade to and still be able to unlock later?
    2012-07-30 06:46 AM
    Ok thanks! Do I need to worry about saving SHSH's or anything like that? Can you tell me which version of ios5 I'd be able to upgrade to and still be able to unlock later?
    The current version of iOS (5.1.1) is a suitable target version to upgrade to, downgrade your baseband to 05.13.04, and then jailbreak/unlock.

The only real wrinkle in this process is: you must make a custom no-baseband IPSW file using redsn0w to do the Shift- or Option + Click restore to through iTunes (and Pwned DFU), like Kioes described. Because Apple is still signing iOS 5.1.1, caching or stitching SHSH blobs is unnecessary--a clean restore with Apple will suffice.
    2012-07-30 06:56 AM
    The current version of iOS (5.1.1) is a suitable target version to upgrade to, downgrade your baseband to 05.13.04, and then jailbreak/unlock.

The only real wrinkle in this process is: you must make a custom no-baseband IPSW file using redsn0w to do the Shift- or Option + Click restore to through iTunes (and Pwned DFU), like Kioes described. Because Apple is still signing iOS 5.1.1, caching or stitching SHSH blobs is unnecessary--a clean restore with Apple will suffice.
    Ok, I did not know that it was possible to downgrade from ipad bb. So I make the custom IPSW first, then shift+restore in iTunes, then run redsn0w again to downgrade bb, right?
    2012-07-30 07:19 AM
    Ok, I did not know that it was possible to downgrade from ipad bb. So I make the custom IPSW first, then shift+restore in iTunes, then run redsn0w again to downgrade bb, right?
    yes that is correct
    2012-07-30 08:03 AM
    yes that is correct
    So I probably should have made sure of this before, but I need an untethered jailbreak, and this one is tethered as far as I can tell. I already did the whole process, now how can I untether it? Can I just make a custom 5.0.1 IPSW in redsn0w and then re-JB? Even though apple isn't signing 5.0.1? How would I get around that?
    2012-07-30 08:32 AM
    So I probably should have made sure of this before, but I need an untethered jailbreak, and this one is tethered as far as I can tell. I already did the whole process, now how can I untether it? Can I just make a custom 5.0.1 IPSW in redsn0w and then re-JB? Even though apple isn't signing 5.0.1? How would I get around that?
    why do you want to go to 5.0.1?

the latest firmware, 5.1.1, contains an untethered jailbreak

if you want to 5.0.1, you need to have SHSH blobs + aptickets for 5.0.1 since Apple is not signing it anymore, the shsh blobs are the only workaround

if you want to know if your phone has 5.0.1 shsh blobs, download a program called tinyumbrella, plug your phone into the computer and click on "SAVE ALL SHSH" and it will tell you whether you have any blobs for any firmware
    2012-07-30 08:38 AM
    why do you want to go to 5.0.1?

the latest firmware, 5.1.1, contains an untethered jailbreak

if you want to 5.0.1, you need to have SHSH blobs + aptickets for 5.0.1 since Apple is not signing it anymore, the shsh blobs are the only workaround

if you want to know if your phone has 5.0.1 shsh blobs, download a program called tinyumbrella, plug your phone into the computer and click on "SAVE ALL SHSH" and it will tell you whether you have any blobs for any firmware

According to one of the stickied jailbreak threads on this forum, 5.1.1 on 3GS using redsn0w is a tethered jailbreak. And I can confirm that because the only way I can now restart my phone is by "just booting" from redsn0w. I want to go to 5.0.1 so that I can be untethered. I found a guide on this site that could get me untethered on 5.1.1 using absinthe, but I am not sure if that will work since I am already tethered-jailbroken. Should just I restore again to the custom 5.1.1 IPSW and then re-jailbreak using absinthe instead?
    2012-07-30 09:03 AM
    I am not quite sure where you saw the sticky on this forum stating 5.1.1 on 3Gs using redsn0w is a "tethered", but that is false, and indeed 5.1.1 is untethered using either redsn0w OR absinthe.

If you create the custom firmware using redsn0w, then all you have to do is make sure you are using redsn0w v0.9.14b2, then use redsn0w to Jailbreak it, and it will become untethered
    2012-07-30 09:09 AM
    Ok, so I decided to just re-jailbreak with redsn0w, and I even got a message warning me that this 5.1.1 jailbreak is tethered and that I would have to "just boot" the device every time I had to restart it. So... again, how would I untether? Is there a way to do it through Cydia? Or is there a workaround for "device must be activated first" for absinthe? Or should I just downgrade to 5.0.1?
    Last edited by DoctorLexus; 2012-07-30 at 09:56 AM.
    2012-07-30 09:37 AM
    once you click Jailbreak in redsn0w, follow the instructions, and once its done, it will BECOME untethered

the reason why it says tethered is because "originally" when 5.1.1 was released, there was already a jailbreak for 3gs, but it was tethered (unless you had a old bootrom), but the Dev Team and Pod2g found a way to untether it
    Last edited by EVO; 2012-07-30 at 10:00 AM.
    2012-07-30 09:57 AM
    once you click Jailbreak in redsn0w, follow the instructions, and once its done, it will BECOME untethered

the reason why it says tethered is because "originally" when 5.1.1 was released, there was already a jailbreak for 3gs, but it was tethered (unless you had a old bootrom), but the Dev Team and Pod2g found a way to untether it
    Ok, I have tried shift+restoring to custom 5.1.1 and then jailbreaking in redsn0w three times now, and every time I am stuck in a tethered jailbreak. As far as I can tell, the reason for this is that after shift+restore completes, the phone is stuck in DFU mode. I connect it, while in DFU mode, to redsn0w and then jailbreak. The jailbreak that takes place is not the "rocky racoon" thing, but what appears to be a regular jailbreak, thus it leaves me tethered. So I have tried this: after shift+restore to custom 5.1.1, I'm stuck in DFU as usual, so I exit recovery using TU, and I have the phone working and at the ios5 setup screen. At this point, I connect to redsn0w and hit jailbreak, it starts the "rocky racoon" thing, but then it tells me that the phone needs to be activated in order to jailbreak. That's plain ridiculous! The whole reason I want to jailbreak is to activate the phone! Not the other way around... So, how can I use the redsn0w rocky racoon method without activating my phone? I don't have an at&t sim card. Is there no way for me to run 5.1.1 untethered then?
    2012-07-30 08:47 PM
    Ok, I have tried shift+restoring to custom 5.1.1 and then jailbreaking in redsn0w three times now, and every time I am stuck in a tethered jailbreak. As far as I can tell, the reason for this is that after shift+restore completes, the phone is stuck in DFU mode. I connect it, while in DFU mode, to redsn0w and then jailbreak. The jailbreak that takes place is not the "rocky racoon" thing, but what appears to be a regular jailbreak, thus it leaves me tethered. So I have tried this: after shift+restore to custom 5.1.1, I'm stuck in DFU as usual, so I exit recovery using TU, and I have the phone working and at the ios5 setup screen. At this point, I connect to redsn0w and hit jailbreak, it starts the "rocky racoon" thing, but then it tells me that the phone needs to be activated in order to jailbreak. That's plain ridiculous! The whole reason I want to jailbreak is to activate the phone! Not the other way around... So, how can I use the redsn0w rocky racoon method without activating my phone? I don't have an at&t sim card. Is there no way for me to run 5.1.1 untethered then?
    Okay, we're going to go a slightly different route with the redsn0w jailbreaking part. After opening redsn0w (make sure you're using the most recent version, 0.9.14b2), put your 3GS back into DFU mode, then click the "jailbreak" button. That should initiate the limera1n jailbreak method instead of the VPN method. At this point, you should have a "Hacktivate" option along with the "Install Cydia" option, select it.

That'll get your iPhone past the activation requirement (and you should now have an untethered jailbreak), but you will have to use SAM in Cydia (install it free from the repository http://repo.bingner.com/) to de-activate and re-activate your iPhone legitimately, fooling iTunes into believing you have an AT&T SIM card in your phone.

Once you've got a legitimately activated and jailbroken iPhone, then it's time to begin the baseband downgrade process within redsn0w.
    2012-07-30 09:54 PM
    Okay, we're going to go a slightly different route with the redsn0w jailbreaking part. After opening redsn0w (make sure you're using the most recent version, 0.9.14b2), put your 3GS back into DFU mode, then click the "jailbreak" button. That should initiate the limera1n jailbreak method instead of the VPN method. At this point, you should have a "Hacktivate" option along with the "Install Cydia" option, select it.

That'll get your iPhone past the activation requirement (and you should now have an untethered jailbreak), but you will have to use SAM in Cydia (install it free from the repository http://repo.bingner.com/) to de-activate and re-activate your iPhone legitimately, fooling iTunes into believing you have an AT&T SIM card in your phone.

Once you've got a legitimately activated and jailbroken iPhone, then it's time to begin the baseband downgrade process within redsn0w.
    I've done the process as you describe up to the point where you say "(and you should now have an untethered jailbreak)" three times already, and I haven't been able to get an untethered jailbreak. What I have right now is an iphone restored with custom 5.1.1, already on 05.13.04, and I haven't attempted any jailbreaks after this most recent re-restore. I now just need to untether-jailbreak it. How do I do that? If I go into redsn0w with the phone in DFU and click jailbreak, it jailbreaks it and hacktivates it with the limera1n exploit. After that everything is fine, the phone works well and Cydia is installed. However if I turn it off, I can't turn it back on, I have to "just boot". Like I said I've done this exact process three times, each time re-restoring with the custom 5.1.1, I don't see where I'm going wrong, are you absolutely sure this method should give me an untethered jailbreak? I have also tried a different method, connecting the phone to redsn0w while the phone is on the set-up screen. This way when I hit jailbreak, redsn0w starts with the rocky racoon screen, and then tells me my phone needs activation.

TL;DR: Just restored to custom 5.1.1, already on bb 05.13.04, how to jailbreak it so that it is untethered? redsn0w only gives me tethered jailbreak or activation error, depending on whether I'm in DFU or not when I click "Jailbreak"...
    2012-07-31 12:44 AM
    I've done the process as you describe up to the point where you say "(and you should now have an untethered jailbreak)" three times already, and I haven't been able to get an untethered jailbreak. What I have right now is an iphone restored with custom 5.1.1, already on 05.13.04, and I haven't attempted any jailbreaks after this most recent re-restore. I now just need to untether-jailbreak it. How do I do that? If I go into redsn0w with the phone in DFU and click jailbreak, it jailbreaks it and hacktivates it with the limera1n exploit. After that everything is fine, the phone works well and Cydia is installed. However if I turn it off, I can't turn it back on, I have to "just boot". Like I said I've done this exact process three times, each time re-restoring with the custom 5.1.1, I don't see where I'm going wrong, are you absolutely sure this method should give me an untethered jailbreak? I have also tried a different method, connecting the phone to redsn0w while the phone is on the set-up screen. This way when I hit jailbreak, redsn0w starts with the rocky racoon screen, and then tells me my phone needs activation.

TL;DR: Just restored to custom 5.1.1, already on bb 05.13.04, how to jailbreak it so that it is untethered? redsn0w only gives me tethered jailbreak or activation error, depending on whether I'm in DFU or not when I click "Jailbreak"...
    Yes. On a 3GS, redsn0w should be giving you an untethered jailbreak through either the "DFU to limera1n" or "normal mode to rocky-racoon" method. After going with the DFU booting method, double-check in Cydia that you have the Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untether package from Telesphoreo installed and up to date (redsn0w should install it by default, current version is 1.0-3). If you don't have it, simply install it through Cydia, and you should be golden.

If it's indeed there and you're still not booting up untethered, the only other thing I can think of is: did you make an old-bootrom IPSW and have been restoring it on your new-bootrom 3GS? If you're unsure what bootrom device you have, it's prudent to assume you possess a new-bootrom device.
    Last edited by Orby; 2012-07-31 at 04:41 AM.
    2012-07-31 04:39 AM
    Thanks for all your help guys, really I appreciate it, I think the problem was the old/new bootrom ipsw mixup. I've gotten some more problems after trying some various methods... I'll spare you the details.

Anyway, as of right now I have a fully-functional, hacktivated, jailbroken (with redsn0w) iPhone 3GS, serial#: 8502392XEDG, new bootrom, running on ios 4.1, baseband 06.15.00. Everything works great on the phone. I want to update to 5.1.1 with the 05.13.04 bb, and I need it to have an untethered unlock+jaibreak. I have no SHSH blobs or anything like that. What is my course of action from here?

So far, I have tried upgrading to custom 5.1.1 through iTunes (which I couldn't do). I made a custom new-bootrom 5.1.1 in redsn0w and during that process I got a message in redsn0w saying I will still need SHSH blobs in order to restore to this custom 5.1.1 firmware if my bootrom is new (which it is), so does this mean I can't upgrade to 5.1.1 at all (since I don't have the SHSH)? I've tried shift+restoring to this custom 5.1.1 anyway a couple times, but each time I do that, I get error 1600 (yes I do it from pwned DFU). I would just exit recovery on TU each time and the phone is back to the regular state described in the 2nd paragraph. So, how do I upgrade to 5.1.1 and have the 05.13.04 baseband unlocked and untethered?
    Last edited by DoctorLexus; 2012-07-31 at 09:56 PM.
    2012-07-31 09:48 PM
    Thanks for all your help guys, really I appreciate it, I think the problem was the old/new bootrom ipsw mixup. I've gotten some more problems after trying some various methods... I'll spare you the details.

Anyway, as of right now I have a fully-functional, hacktivated, jailbroken (with redsn0w) iPhone 3GS, serial#: 8502392XEDG, new bootrom, running on ios 4.1, baseband 06.15.00. Everything works great on the phone. I want to update to 5.1.1 with the 05.13.04 bb, and I need it to have an untethered unlock+jaibreak. I have no SHSH blobs or anything like that. What is my course of action from here?

So far, I have tried upgrading to custom 5.1.1 through iTunes (which I couldn't do). I made a custom new-bootrom 5.1.1 in redsn0w and during that process I got a message in redsn0w saying I will still need SHSH blobs in order to restore to this custom 5.1.1 firmware if my bootrom is new (which it is), so does this mean I can't upgrade to 5.1.1 at all (since I don't have the SHSH)? I've tried shift+restoring to this custom 5.1.1 anyway a couple times, but each time I do that, I get error 1600 (yes I do it from pwned DFU). I would just exit recovery on TU each time and the phone is back to the regular state described in the 2nd paragraph. So, how do I upgrade to 5.1.1 and have the 05.13.04 baseband unlocked and untethered?
    The SHSH problem shouldn't be insurmountable: Apple is still signing 5.1.1 firmware requests, and therefore, they'll provide your SHSH blobs for your restore. Your hosts file, however, cannot have any editing from TinyUmbrella to Saurik's server in there for the restore to work properly. The 1600 error generally supports this diagnosis (but can mean a multitude of other things, so it's by no means cut-and-dried). Please make sure no entries for "gs.apple.com" exist in your hosts file.

If you want to double-check your hosts file is configured correctly:
    (OS X) Open Terminal, and type the following in (without quotes): "ping -c 5 gs.apple.com". If the replying server's address starts with 17, you're connected to Apple. If you're seeing 74.208.10.249, however, you're connected to Cydia's server and a direct restore will not work.
    (WINDOWS) Hit the Windows key plus R, and type "cmd" (no quotes) in the Run... dialog. Type "ping gs.apple.com" in the window. Same rules as above apply: if the replying server's address starts with the number 17, you're connected to Apple (and are in good shape). If it's 74.208.10.249, then you're connected to Cydia and it won't work.

If you'd rather, you can use redsn0w to stitch your blobs to your custom IPSW file (the "Stitch" is located in Extras -> SHSH blobs -> Stitch, FYI. Cydia should work for the location of blobs if you don't have them locally). That will totally obviate the need for iTunes to connect to a remote server for the blobs, and your restore should go through.

Once iTunes has confirmed the restore from Pwned DFU has gone through successfully, try the redsn0w DFU jailbreaking process again, and we'll go from there.
    2012-08-01 06:05 AM
    looks like Orby's got my back....I'll just sit back and watch
    2012-08-01 09:21 PM
    Ok, so I managed to get everything working the way I want it to. I'm not sure why I kept getting error 1600 in iTunes after trying to restore to custom 5.1.1, I tried it another time and didn't get the error and successfully restored. Weird. Maybe it had something to do with opening the command dialogue to check the server? It was Apple's server btw, and I didn't do anything to mess with it, I just followed Orby's suggested steps to see what server I was pinging.

Anyway, after successfully installing custom 5.1.1, I was now on 5.1.1 with ipad baseband. From here, I followed the exact instructions presented on the Dev-Team Blog. Then I unlocked with ultrasn0w. Everything works great now, I'm untethered and unlocked. In the end, I think I was getting tethered jailbreaks before because of the bootrom IPSW mixup.

Some more info on the problems that I was having earlier which I didn't care to elaborate on, just in case someone else is having the same issues and is googling for them:

After trying to jailbreak several times with no success (well, it jailbroke, but it was tethered), during one of the attempts, the phone just froze up. It was a white screen with vertical and horizontal yellow lines running criss-cross through it. These yellow lines eventually fade a little and the whole screen gets darker. Nothing could be done to get out of this state. I'd put it into DFU, TU exit recovery, and then I'd be back to the same screen. I tried to restore, but I could not restore to any IPSW, kept getting itunes error 28. So what I did was disconnected the battery (you have to take out the logic board to do this, as the contact for the battery is on the bottom of the logic board) and left it overnight. After putting it back together, I was able to successfully restore to 4.1, and the rest is detailed in the above posts. I'm pretty sure if you get a white screen with yellow lines running through it like I did, your only hope is to disconnect the battery, because I tried everything and that's the only thing that worked.
    2012-08-02 02:00 AM
21 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD