User Tag List

Hello,

I had a brain fart a few weeks ago, don't know what took me, and I upgraded my iphone 4 to ios 7. I like ios 7, but it is way too slow for an iphone 4 (it starts being okay'ish on the 4S). The problem is that, to extend the brain fart, I did not save my shsh blob so I cannot downgrade.

Having said this, correct me if I'm wrong but it's actually the ios firmware that validates the signature of a firmware upgrade file. If that is correct, this means that a jailbroken firmware could in theory accept any firmware even if it is a downgrade.

So here's my question. With the recent ios 7 jailbreak, if I actually flash to a jailbroken ios 7, will that in turn allow me to downgrade to a "legit", stock ios 6?

Thank you.
    2014-02-12 08:32 AM
    No.
    The theme in my posts is 3 4 All, by Sk37cH.

The numerous versions released, and infinite versatility, beats IconOmatic mods. By quality.
    2014-02-12 08:58 AM
    Alfroggy, do you mind expanding a bit? Is it not the firmware that's in charge of accepting/denying the signature? Or is it indeed the firmware but the jailbroken firmware does not change the behaviour?

Cheers.
    2014-02-12 09:05 AM
    iTunes requests the unique shsh code in order to load the firmware onto the phone. No code, no firmware
    2014-02-12 09:13 AM
    Alfroggy, do you mind expanding a bit? Is it not the firmware that's in charge of accepting/denying the signature? Or is it indeed the firmware but the jailbroken firmware does not change the behaviour?

Cheers.
    Apple signs the firmware. If that's unsuccessful, then the device keeps the installed version.
    The theme in my posts is 3 4 All, by Sk37cH.

The numerous versions released, and infinite versatility, beats IconOmatic mods. By quality.
    2014-02-12 11:27 AM

Cheers.
    The first round of signature/SHSH verification occurs within the bootrom of the phone before any piece of the firmware is loaded--this verification can't be avoided, nor has anyone found a way to run unsigned low-level code in spite of this check.
    2014-02-12 09:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD