Hello there...

I upgraded my iphone 4S to the latest firmware version 7.0.6, but I started having a lot of issues related to Wifi: the Wifi wouldn't connect, it would be too slow, and all of a sudden, the Wifi option was totally grayed out.

I called Apple's tech support on the phone and they suggested me to reset network settings (after performing a backup on iTunes, of course). This didn't help at all. The phone is now more than a year old (14 months), so no warranty is availabe. I went online to research about this problem, and found lots of threads out there from people having the same issue (some with earlier versions of the OS). Some people posted solutions, which go from placing the iphone in a sealed bag in the freezer, using a hair dryer, etc, to performing some other actions on the iphone itself (restore options, restore from earlier iTunes backups, etc). Unfortunately, none of these worked (I didn't try the freezer or dryer options, though).

I was thinking that mabe if I downgrade the OS to something different than 7.0.6 that would do the trick, but before doing so, I wanted to ask this question here and see if somene could have an answer. Also, if downgrading is the only choice, could anyone help me perform it?

Thanks!
    2014-03-06 04:56 PM
    Can't downgrade a 4s. When you restored did you do a Dfu restore and set up phone as new?
    2014-03-06 08:34 PM
    Can't downgrade a 4s. When you restored did you do a Dfu restore and set up phone as new?
    No, I restored using iTunes, but didn't do as you suggest. Actually, I have never performed such operation (DFU) in this iphone. If you think that could help, could you guide me through the steps to give it a try?

Thanks.
    2014-03-06 08:52 PM
    No, I restored using iTunes, but didn't do as you suggest. Actually, I have never performed such operation (DFU) in this iphone. If you think that could help, could you guide me through the steps to give it a try?

Thanks.
    Sure give this a try.
    http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034
    2014-03-06 09:14 PM
    OK, I'll give this a try. In the link you provided, it says I have to use iTunes as well. Will iTunes ask me if I want to set up the phone as new? By doing that, will the OS be changed to something different? Or will it still be the current version?

Thanks!
    2014-03-06 09:18 PM
    iTunes will yes and it will bring you to 7.0.6 which is current and jailbreakable
    2014-03-06 09:52 PM
    iTunes will yes and it will bring you to 7.0.6 which is current and jailbreakable
    I'm already restoring using DFU. I had already made a backup earlier today, so my last question now is if it would be OK to go ahead and restore from that backup after the DFU restore is finished. I'd love to be sure that the Wifi works now, before attempting to restore anything else in the phone.

Thanks.

Well, the DFU restore has finished, and I decided to set up the iphone as a new one (instead of using an earlier backup). It has finished, but the Wifi setting is all grayed out. Does this mean this is a hardware problem? Is there another way to fix this issue at all?

Thanks.
    Last edited by shaka.d.virgo; 2014-03-06 at 10:47 PM.
    2014-03-06 10:35 PM
    If you restored as new and are still having the issue, the chances are pretty good that it is a hardware issue.
    2014-03-06 11:23 PM
    Agree^^^^

Sounds like it to me
    2014-03-06 11:53 PM
    i did exactly as this guy , it works 3 minutes hair dryer on upper side then turn off on warning then let it cool and put it in freezer wrapped inside a polythene jacket for 3-5 minutes or infront of AC ,set at 16degree cent. switch it on wifi is there but use it carefully and not to often , this will be my last iphone , i am totally disappointed by giving alot of chances to apple.
    2014-03-08 01:12 PM
    ^wut?
    2014-03-08 04:41 PM
    i did exactly as this guy , it works 3 minutes hair dryer on upper side then turn off on warning then let it cool and put it in freezer wrapped inside a polythene jacket for 3-5 minutes or infront of AC ,set at 16degree cent. switch it on wifi is there but use it carefully and not to often , this will be my last iphone , i am totally disappointed by giving alot of chances to apple.
    Wow really lol
    2014-03-08 04:42 PM
    After reading comments and watching other videos, it actually seems like that works. Go figure.
    2014-03-08 04:57 PM
    UPDATE : Fix worked but i usually turn wifi off and remain on GPRS for gmail , one day i forgot to turn off wifi and the problem returned and i had to redo the said fix this is second time in a month on 7.0.6 , i noticed the problem generally comes when i use YouTube videos or Facebook on a hot day like 25-30degree centigrade , so i try to avoid using it for App Store Updates or facebook or youtube ,i use laptop or mac for that.
    2014-03-25 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD