So I'm looking at selling my 5S because I've preordered the iPhone 6--it'll be here Friday. My phone is currently on 7.1.2 and jailbroken. As such, I'd like to keep it jailbroken to maximize the amount of potential buyers that might be interested in my phone...however, by the time I'm ready to ship the phone out (this coming Friday), iOS 8 will have released, thusly closing the book on restoring to iOS 7 via iTunes.

If I'm already on 7.1.2, can I use the "Erase All Content and Settings" feature and restore to 7.1.2? Or will it OTA update to iOS 8?

I've never used this feature before, as I've always just restored in iTunes to a clean install of iOS before selling a phone.

Any help is appreciated!
    2014-09-15 01:43 AM
    No, don't use that feature. that can leave a jailbroken device in boot loop requiring a restore, which come Friday will put you to iOS 8. You can use iLex or Semirestore to wipe your device without needing to restore in iTunes.
    2014-09-15 01:57 AM
    No, don't use that feature. that can leave a jailbroken device in boot loop requiring a restore, which come Friday will put you to iOS 8. You can use iLex or Semirestore to wipe your device without needing to restore in iTunes.
    Will that feature 100% put me into a bootloop? Or is it hit and miss?

I've not heard of either iLex or Semirestore--have you used them? I see you're a mod here, so I'm going to trust your judgement. If you have used them, do they actually imitate a full restore (i.e. no identifiable data left on the device)?
    2014-09-15 02:06 AM
    Yes, if you are jailbroken that feature almost always will leave you in boot loop. I have used both ilex and semirestore and havent had issues with either, both will wipe your device and put you to the activation screen just like a real restore would.
    2014-09-15 02:30 AM
    Agree, either iLex Rat or Semirestore is the way to go, Trust Simon, he is one of the best.
    2014-09-15 02:33 AM
    I wasn't thinking straight, and I performed the "Erase all content and settings" function on my iPhone 4S. I plan on selling it on Ebay, with options to ship it either on 7.1.2 w/JB, or on iOS 8.

I have my new iPhone 6 Plus activated.

I had no trouble booting up my iPhone 4S, but I don't know how to check if everything is still in good working order... I don't know how to get through the initial set-up without activating the phone.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

**EDIT** I'm aware the signing window is still open and I should just restore/re-jailbreak to ensure everything is in good working order. But again, I'm not sure how to go about this with my iPhone 6 Plus already activated.
    Last edited by altoiddealer; 2014-09-22 at 04:51 AM.
    2014-09-22 04:48 AM
    Ant cheap prepaid SIM card around, maybe
    2014-09-22 07:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD