So for the past few months I haven't been paying much attention to the latest apps and firmware for the iphone/ipod touch since I was fairly content at the moment with what I had. Lately my phones been really buggy and figured that updating the firmware and starting fresh may address some of the issues (not getting text messages for up to 2 days, unable to hear sound from the phone... yet QT is fine, screen stays black even when pressing home/power buttons, etc)

Anyway, I'm running windows and really really don't want to install itunes. I tried the upgrader to 1.1.3 via the installerapp but since I don't have 1.1.2, it wouldn't let me use it.

Does such an Application exist? I tried upgrading on my friends mac, via itunes, and it would crash it for whatever reason (pinwheel of doom?). I really dislike itunes and would prefer not using it if I don't have to. I even tried installing itunes under my XP virtual machine but the USB support is limited and wouldn't work correctly. Last time I had it running on my machine I ran into all sorts of headaches and since this is a pretty fresh install of Vista, I'd rather not have to format and start over again. I'm very anal about installing software with a large footprint

any ideas?

edit: I guess if worse comes to worse, I could install it on my old P3 machine to upgrade
    2008-03-28 04:52 PM
    Why don't you want to install iTunes? This is the only program that will interface with your iPhone to upgrade and install firmware.
    2008-03-28 05:04 PM
    eh, that figures. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet then.

thanks for the heads up

as for itunes, I just don't care for it. When I activated my phone originally, I noticed itunes was running like 5 processes in the background on a fresh boot and was eating up resources. I honestly prefer running portable applications a majority of the time since they generally have a very small footprint, and once you close them... they don't leave anything running in the background nor do they load anything into memory on initial boot (except for applications that I use a lot [3dsmax, photoshop, illustrator, etc])

It's not that I don't have the overhead to spare, I'm just obsessive compulsive about stuff like that lol call me crazy

thanks again
    2008-03-28 05:33 PM
    Just turn off the agents so it doesn't use up resources unless you open it up. start > run > msconfig - go to the startup tab and uncheck itunes and itunes helper.
    2008-03-28 05:38 PM
    yeah, I had thought about that. I may or may not install it on my primary machine... still undecided.

if not, the P3 should make a perfect "itunes" machine, albeit a bit slow
    2008-03-28 06:26 PM
    Yeah I am going to call you crazy dr. Stevil because iTunes is great, just kill the itunesmobile process and dont allow those extra processes to run on start then if you don't want them, it isn't hard to do. Why go through all that hassle, lol, that is so hilarious that you wouldn't just install itunes. If you're running Vista, you can spare RAM rofl. If you can't, clean up and don't allow processes I don't even see a problem here this is just funny!

Not to mention those processes aren't using jack of any of your memory if you have to RAM to run vista. This is silly, I'm literally laughing my *** off.
    Last edited by prodigy; 2008-03-28 at 08:11 PM.
    2008-03-28 08:08 PM
    eh, to each their own. I wouldn't call it great by any means, but that's just my personal opinion.

at any rate, I got it done via the old HP machine just fine. No problems, no mess and it'll be there for the next firmware revision.

thanks again
    steve
    2008-03-30 11:22 PM
    I'm with Steve on this one!

iTunes has got to be one of the worst (and I hate to use the term) media "management" software packages out there.

A friend was going to start development on an alternative sync tool, but ran into some issues and the project has been dead since (never really got off the ground).

iTunes DOES close properly NOW, but it used to be hit and miss.

We can already browse files, and most know how to drag and drop... why create another layer to do what is already being done? The concept is STUPID and so is the implementation of the logic behind it. The list is TOO LONG so don't even ask.

Anyways... /RANT
    2008-04-07 07:12 PM
    I have it on my x64 Vista and works great. Like others said just msconfig and shut itunes boot systems down. When you need it run it - it will take longer to load but oh well. Then when done restart the computer....

There is a 64 bit version for Vista!!
    Last edited by rfracing; 2008-04-07 at 07:41 PM. Reason: add info
    2008-04-07 07:40 PM
    Itunes, on my XP PRO SP2, never closes properly. I have to close it by task manager. For those who can manage their phones, with explorer or similar one we can use explorer for managing it. I'm thinking as 1BADRIDE. What is enraging, when I close itunes (by task manager, because I it does not close with exit ) a new one is opening
    2008-04-10 12:03 PM
    Personally, my home computer is also a server I use for testing purposes (IT student) so I refuse to install iTunes on it. I did find that installing the free VMware Server into Vista (x86,x64, or any 2008 version) works just fine. You just need to make sure you have the VMware window in focus when you plug in the iPhone so it can take control of the USB device and leave it in focus while you are messing with the phone.

My OS in VMware is Windows XP Professional 32bit because that is really the best OS for modding Motorola and Apple phones.
    2008-04-11 01:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD