SOMEONE HELP ME!
    heres the scenario.... I used independance to 'jailbrake' my phone... I installed some apps, TTR etc. BUT i DID NOT install the 'UNLOCK' application ( the one that installs the modified file onto the phone that takes like half an hour.) now I NEED to upgrade the firmware to 1.1.1 (or whatever it is.) and i am worried that the new firmware will 'BRICK' my phone. Now i have only heard this happens only if you have used that unlock application. but i NEED confromation.

Another small concern of mine is that when i go to 'RETURN TO JAIL' it fails to enter recovery mode....

I NEED HELP! ASAP! pleaaase.
    -Wy
    Last edited by wyeth; 2007-10-10 at 03:32 AM.
    2007-10-10 03:29 AM
    pc or mac?
    2007-10-10 03:39 AM
    Why do you need to upgrade? You will lose all your hacks and mods.
    Bit if for some odd reason you do, just do a restore before upgrading and you will be fine.
    2007-10-10 03:42 AM
    DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR PHONE AT THIS TIME. There's no reason to. Just say no when iTunes prompts you. Irrespective of the unlock you've used (the pay or free unlock), your phone will be immobilised if you upgrade since there is no way to activate and/or jailbreak it under 1.1.1 at this time.

Assuming that you do upgrade your phone to 1.1.1, with the free unlock your OOL (out of luck) and your iphone will be toast for reasons that I'd be happy to explain to you at a later date. . With the IPSF unlock, your iPhone will remain unlocked, but the only way to use it will be to downgrade to 1.0.2 using the KMAC method since there's no activation/jailbreak program available for 1.1.1 right now and an unlock presupposes that the phone is activated/jailbroken to work.

In conclusion, just say no.......In 4-5 days the 1.1.1 activator/jailbreaker will be ready to go....

Re: the IPSF unlock, the reason that this remains is because the unlock reprograms the EEPROM before reflashing the BB with a clean copy of the BB that receives instructions from the EEPROM to "flash as unlocked."

Why do you need to upgrade? You will lose all your hacks and mods.
    Bit if for some odd reason you do, just do a restore before upgrading and you will be fine.
    "Just do a restore before upgrading and you will be fine"???!!! Think that modmyi is not the right forum for me. With advice like this, one really has to wonder whether this is a delibrate attempt to destroy someone's iPhone or just sheer stupidity. And this coming from a moderator makes it all the worse.

Snowbird over and out. Please delete my user!
    Last edited by Snowbird; 2007-10-10 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-10 04:01 AM
    okay okay... (THANK YOU VERY MUCH) but is there any way to 'restore' the phone in its current state to the 1.0.2.

i have jailbroken the phone and installed a couple apps. but NOT the CARRIER UNLOCK APP

iTUNES will only 'let' me upgrade to 1.1.1... so my question is, if there is, is there any way to over ride itunes and 'restore' to 1.0.2. maybe then i can upgrade on to 1.1.1.

Ill come clean here and just say that this is my friends phone i modded (successfully) but he would like to upgrade for blah bla reason "i want the iTunes Store...)

.... and theoretically.... wouldnt it make sense, that if you could restore the 1.0.2, then you could upgrade with no worries??/

MAC!

IMPORTANT!-------- I DID NOT UNLOCK THE PHONE FOR ANOTHER CARRIER.. just 'jailbroke' it
    Last edited by wyeth; 2007-10-10 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-10 04:07 AM
    "Just do a restore before upgrading and you will be fine"???!!! Think that modmyi is not the right forum for me. With advice like this, one really has to wonder whether this is a delibrate attempt to destroy someone's iPhone or just sheer stupidity. And this coming from a moderator makes it all the worse.

Snowbird over and out. Please delete my user!
    Ummm... Wyeth said about a dozen times that he had only installed third-party apps, not unlocked his phone. I believe he, like many of us, is actually on a legitimate AT&T plan activated through iTunes. If this is the case, he will have absolutely no problem upgrading his phone to 1.1.1 (especially if he restores first as Dash suggested). So while he will lose the ability to install 3rd party apps (Dash even mentioned this), he will still be able to have a working iPhone.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify this all for you... Maybe next time you should read a teensy bit more carefully before criticizing someone, especially a forum moderator.
    2007-10-10 05:09 AM
    Ummm... Wyeth said about a dozen times that he had only installed third-party apps, not unlocked his phone. I believe he, like many of us, is actually on a legitimate AT&T plan activated through iTunes. If this is the case, he will have absolutely no problem upgrading his phone to 1.1.1 (especially if he restores first as Dash suggested). So while he will lose the ability to install 3rd party apps (Dash even mentioned this), he will still be able to have a working iPhone.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify this all for you... Maybe next time you should read a teensy bit more carefully before criticizing someone, especially a forum moderator.
    i agree...
    2007-10-10 05:13 AM
    you guys ARE the BEST!. thanks alot. uhh so ONE more TIME... JUST to make myself 101% clear... i have nO way of restoring my iPhone without upgrading to 1.1.1... which i AM FINE with... i have 'jailbroken' the phone. but i should be FINE with upgrading?, just the mods will be lost. my phone will still be functional?

(the reasoning for my concern is that i heard/read that if you modify the phone (i think specifically unlock) and go to restore with 1.1.1, the iPhone basically 'bricks' the communications feature.)

Thanks Again!

that being said... (one more inquiry) what is 'jailbraking' exactly? if it's not 'unlocking'... i am aware that unlocking is more specific to (for instance) unlocking the phone to function with other carriers. but then, again, how do you describe the process that an application like 'independence' uses called 'jailbrake'???
    Last edited by wyeth; 2007-10-10 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-10 05:26 AM
    there is a chance it might happen but if it does try this:

http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7584
    2007-10-10 05:27 AM
    THANK YOU SO MUCH, that is what ive been looking for... (how to tell itunes which firmware file to restore with)

YOU ARE THE BEST! much thanks.

i am going to restore the phone to 1.0.2 and then try upgrading... does this process also work with downgrading?
    2007-10-10 05:45 AM
    yup....
    2007-10-10 06:05 AM
    Another issue. i didn't have the restore 1.0.2 file. so i downloaded it. i have it. BUT all it is , is an 'update' FOLDER. not the file type that you see in the iphone updates folder. And iTunes wont let me 'choose' the FILE> so how do i convert the folder into an "ipod software update file" like the others????
    2007-10-10 07:42 AM
    Is it a .ipsw file type? If not, rename it using that ending.
    2007-10-10 08:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD