Help guys

Realised there is 260 MB of Others in my iPhone storage. Didn't realize until a mate pointed out to me. Does anyone know what the Others files are and can I delete them. I suspect its residual files from my Ziphone jailbreak

Currently running 1.1.4 8GB iPhone.

TIA
    2008-04-14 05:00 PM
    the others are the enemies of a crushed oceanic flight in an island full of misterious things going on :P

“other” is undeleted email.

You have to go to your email and delete your emails on the iPhone. Even if you delete them on your computer, they are still in your iPhone and must be trashed on a regular basis, especially if you have been sending and receiving large pdfs by email.
    Thanks is an acknowledgment
    2008-04-14 06:33 PM
    do you know the dir they are stored in?
    2008-04-14 06:50 PM
    as posted: You have to go to your email and delete your emails on the iPhone.
    2008-04-14 06:52 PM
    This is not true. I can take any phone OTB and ziphone it and it ALWAYS uses 260MB of data (out of the 300MB on the OS partition). Mail has nothing to do with it. The firmware takes up about 160MB and the rest is fonts and misc files. If you download and run BossTool to move fonts you will free an additional 100MB+ of space on your OS partition. Another route would be to download and instal Cydia which frees up all this space during installation.
    2008-04-14 07:01 PM
    This is not true. I can take any phone OTB and ziphone it and it ALWAYS uses 260MB of data (out of the 300MB on the OS partition). Mail has nothing to do with it. The firmware takes up about 160MB and the rest is fonts and misc files. If you download and run BossTool to move fonts you will free an additional 100MB+ of space on your OS partition. Another route would be to download and instal Cydia which frees up all this space during installation.
    You've added some more info to my post but what i said is infact true.

Additionally, yes, the internal library databases and other operating files easily take up 200MB or more. This number will in fact increase as you add more content to your iPhone, applications, fonts etc. even including album art, as each additional track still has to have it's metadata stored in the iPhone database.

Generally if it's below 300MB I wouldn't worry about it too much. Album artwork, games, and other data such as mail (which is a common thing) will of course increase this size, but at this point even on a fully-loaded 8GB iPhone it should never be over 2GB.

As Poseidon said, get the bosstool application and move your applications to the second partition as well as fonts and the summary will lower itself.
    2008-04-15 12:02 AM
    Thanks for the responses guys.

One thing is I didn't even set up my mail hence have not been receiving mails ever so the 260 MB can't be from mails.
    2008-04-15 12:45 AM
    download boss tool then
    2008-04-15 12:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD