Hey guys, on the 28th of March I won a bid on eBay for my 8gb iPhone. I received it last Friday the 11th of April and everything is working fine. However I was a little bit suspicious when I opened up the package and discovered that the box my iPhone came in was plain white with the words "iPhone" and "Apple Certified" on the front rather than the standard black box.

After inspecting the contents, some of which had small particles of dust and dirt (I have taken photos of all contents before opening them individually to use), I emailed the seller about this. He said that the iPhone had been "recalled" by Apple shortly after the new 1.1.4 software update had been released and thus given back to him with all the contents etc with 1.1.4 installed. In the listing he had stated it had been recalled and also firmly stated the iPhone and all contents were BRAND NEW.

After looking around a little on Google, I discovered that iPhone's shipped in a white box meant that it had been refurbished. I have not come across anyone that has experienced or known of iPhone's being recalled by Apple to update the firmware software.

The questions I'd like to ask are these:

--Do you know of any instances of iPhone's being recalled by Apple?

--If my iPhone is in fact a refurbished model, do I have anything to bring up with eBay or the seller and possibly ask for some money back? After all he had stated that the iPhone and contents were brand new.

--Is it true that recalled or refurbished iPhone’s are in fact better performers than those bought in store, as they have been tested toughly by Apple and checked for defects?

I want to keep my iPhone if I am able to get some amount of money back for it, rather than ship it back to him and have to use old mobile and then have to look for another.

I paid $560 for the iPhone and another $20 for registered post and insurance, so $580 all up. The seller is Australian in Brisbane.

What do you guys know of this? Especailly people quite familiar with eBay and its policies.

Thanks.

P.S I know that buying from eBay can be risky etc etc so please keep the rants for another time.
    2008-04-15 01:11 PM
    Refurbished 8GB Apple iPhone Goes On Sale for $249
    http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C14850/
    SkiHound ,,, Loves his Iphone,
    2008-04-15 01:56 PM
    --Do you know of any instances of iPhone's being recalled by Apple?
    skinhound replied to you there are yes.. and on ebay hundreds

--If my iPhone is in fact a refurbished model, do I have anything to bring up with eBay or the seller and possibly ask for some money back? After all he had stated that the iPhone and contents were brand new.
    maybe with a paypal dispute

--Is it true that recalled or refurbished iPhone’s are in fact better performers than those bought in store, as they have been tested toughly by Apple and checked for defects?
    its a matter of choice. some need to have their items brand new. look at ur self. you bought a refurbished phone and dont really like it.. imho i would buy a refurbished phone if the price was good enough and there where no scratches or marks

I want to keep my iPhone if I am able to get some amount of money back for it, rather than ship it back to him and have to use old mobile and then have to look for another.
    A paypal dispute is the furthest step u can make.. You'll be discussing with the seller and a solution will be found.

I paid $560 for the iPhone and another $20 for registered post and insurance, so $580 all up. The seller is Australian in Brisbane.
    ouch.. i bought mine for $400 all included..
    Thanks is an acknowledgment
    2008-04-15 02:30 PM
    I guess it depends on where u are and your buying availability, I pad 349 for my refurb from apple and that was over six months ago. Works perfect no problems at all. Good luck with the ebay and paypal disputes that is the correct course, as stated above..
    2008-04-15 02:44 PM
    daaaaaaaamn. you could have gotten a new 16 gigger for that much money
    2008-04-15 04:12 PM
    If the seller did not state that it was refurbed then you will have a strong case with Paypal in the form of a dispute as they have a "Item significantly not as described" which is what I would classify a refurbed iphone being sold as brand new as!

It may be a bit of a hassle and take quite a long time ( most disputes do ) but you would probably end up with paypal giving you a refund and you sending the phone back to the seller, so in the end the hassle may not be worth it, if the phone is fine, not scratched or playing up or anything, then you mate be better of in terms of a stress free life just to stick with it.

The seller has been naughty though, and obviously did not say it was refurbed to get maximum profit.

Have any friends in Australia? Send them round his house with some rattlesnakes lol
    2008-04-15 04:22 PM
    Note: Refurbished is next to the SAME thing as brand new.

Don't kill the ebay seller. I have used a refurbed iPhone for 1-2 months now and its been perfect. Many others have the same experience. I buy refurbished products all the time due to low costs.

$560 USD is expensive, but if you bid you pay. But if its $560 AUD its a little lighter on the bank.
    2008-04-15 06:39 PM
    Good luck dealing with paypal. Even if you win your case, which is a sure bet, the seller will have most likely transferred the funds from his paypal account over to a bank. Paypal will then say "we attempted to retrieve the funds from seller account but no funds are available. Thanks for using paypal, go screw yourself"

I hate ebay scammers.
    2008-04-15 06:49 PM
    you can never be sure what you are buying on ebay. Be sure you read everything that the seller puts in the description, if some information is false, contact ebay service and they will file a report of false advertisment in which both parites will be forced to undo the transaction, compliance with this is a must or authorities will be contacted by ebay
    2008-04-15 07:36 PM
    i just got finished with a pay pal dispute. i got my money back, but it took 3 months of a lot of back and forth ****.
    2008-04-15 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD