Basically after already hacking two iPhones first (new 1.1.1's, put in 1.0.2 firmware, then jailbreaked with AppTapp and activated with anySIM 1.1), I plugged in my own iPhone (straight out of the box), booted it in recovery mode and tried to "Restore" it to 1.0.2 by pressing Shift+Restore and selecting the 1.0.2 firmware file (iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw).

It started out normally and went all the way up until "Restoring iPhone Software", where it simply got stuck and wouldn't go any further, no matter how long I waited. After even longer waiting I started getting Windows error message "One of the USB devices has malfunctioned..." and iTunes keeps making the tiding sound as if something actually happened.

I then ended the iTunes.exe process and plugged my iPhone in again, but after that I have kept getting "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." -error message and I can't get the regular boot to the "Activate iPhone" screen.

So basically I can't restore my iPhone, not to the newest Firmware (1.1.1), nor to the old one (1.0.2) and my iPhone boots to the "Sync cable + iTunes logo", not the "Activate iPhone" screen.

How can I fix it? I'm using the newest version of iTunes on Windows XP.
    Last edited by tin77i; 2007-10-24 at 11:11 AM.
    2007-10-24 10:48 AM
    i ran into the same problem.... can't restore for nothing on my computer. Tried uninstalling itunes from windows and then deleting the following directories

CProgram Files\Common Files\Apple
    CProgram Files\iTunes
    CProgram Files\Apple Software Update "if it is there"
    CDocuments and Settings\Your user name on your computer\Application Data\Apple Computer
    CProgram Files\iPod

The only thing that brings my iphone back up is ibricker.

You could use ibrickr to get your phone to boot up in normal mode like i did..

Went to apple store and did a restore over there and it went by smoothly....

Good luck....
    Last edited by 808mp5; 2007-10-24 at 11:43 AM.
    2007-10-24 11:27 AM
    i ran into the same problem.... The only thing that brings my computer back up is ibricker.

You could use ibrickr to get your phone to boot up in normal mode like i did..

Went to apple store and did a restore over there and it went by smoothly....
    So how can I boot the phone up normally with iBrickr? I bought the phone from LA and live in Europe so going to an Apple Store isn't really an option ;/ Need to be able to figure it out somehow at home.
    2007-10-24 11:32 AM
    run ibrickr v.9 when you phone is connected in restore mode
    it should give you two option.
    Boot iphone
    or downgrade to 1.0.2

you could also try apptapp. though it never completed the restore but it was able to get the phone back up to normal mode.....
    2007-10-24 11:50 AM
    Well some voodoo tricks (changing iTunes language, USB port etc) finally worked and I was able to restore back to 1.0.2 and hack the iPhone, thx
    2007-10-24 02:42 PM
    glad you got it working
    2007-10-25 09:43 AM
    Just go to itune and hit restore to v1.1.3, you will not able get stuck with the apple logo but it's ok. Now you can try to downgrade your iphone to v1.1.1 or v1.0.2 now. If you need more helps then let me know. Good luck
    2008-02-19 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD