User Tag List

Hi, I just purchased an iPhone a few days ago and there are some burning questions that i have...if you could answer any of the following, that would be greatly appreciated

1. Is there a radio? (i.e. is there any FM radio?)

2. I have an "installer" application on my home page and it shows all these programs and applications i could potentially install on my phone when connected to the internet....are therse applications/programs free to download when connected with wi-fi? I know that using EDGE they charge a certain about per KB you download, but is it free with wifi?

3. What is the avg battery life of the iphone? I've been playing music on it using the speaker for about 3 hours and its drained half the battery...is this normal?

4. Can you download things using safari if you're connected with wifi?

5. How can you get ringtones on your iPhone without purchasing them through a 3rd party company? is it possible to put ringtones on the iphone through itunes or something?

6. Does the battery have "memory"? i.e. if there is still half batter left in the phone and i plug it into the computer to charge...is it bad for the iphone? should i wait until the battery has drained before charging? or does it not matter?

7. Is it possible to watch TV on the iPhone without paying my service provider for it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any of these questions for me!!
    2008-04-20 03:29 PM
    for number 2...yes its free when you are conntected to wifi. number 3 yes it is normal...number 5 its better to get them through installer because you have to buy them throuh itunes where installer is free....number 6 it doesnt really matter but its best if u your charging the phone while not using it...number 7 not yet but there are some videos on youtube that show/talk about that.
    2008-04-20 03:38 PM
    you said there was a program i could get from installer for ringtones? Do you have a name for the program or how to use it?

Thanks
    2008-04-20 04:50 PM
    1. Is there a radio? No, but there is a 3rd application in installer that you can get radio. I havnt used this myself because im in australia

2. I have an "installer" application on my home page and it shows all these programs and applications i could potentially install on my phone when connected to the internet....are therse applications/programs free to download when connected with wi-fi? I know that using EDGE they charge a certain about per KB you download, but is it free with wifi? Yes its free when you connect to a Wireless connect aka Wifi.

3. What is the avg battery life of the iphone? I've been playing music on it using the speaker for about 3 hours and its drained half the battery...is this normal?
    Up to 8 hours talk time
    Up to 250 hours standby
    Up to 6 hours internet use
    Up to 7 hours video playback
    Up to 24 hours audio playback
    source from http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/#23.1
    To be honest with you i recon those numbers are B.S. My battery dies halfway when playing 1-2 hours of music

4. Can you download things using safari if you're connected with wifi? You can only surf and stream media (if you have the right 3rd applications)

5. How can you get ringtones on your iPhone without purchasing them through a 3rd party company? is it possible to put ringtones on the iphone through itunes or something? Yes you can get ringtones for the iphone WITHOUT paying through iTunes. Though its a pretty long process through the 1st round and takes 3 mins second time round.

6. Does the battery have "memory"? i.e. if there is still half batter left in the phone and i plug it into the computer to charge...is it bad for the iphone? should i wait until the battery has drained before charging? or does it not matter? Doesnt matter, eg. Lets say the batter has only 10 charges before you need to replace it. Your battery is now at 50% and you put it on the charger. You will now have 9.5 charges left.

7. Is it possible to watch TV on the iPhone without paying my service provider for it? Dont know but there is Youtube
    2008-04-20 05:11 PM
    for #4, you said that you can surf/stream media if you have the right 3rd applications....what are these 3rd applications? Thanks!
    2008-04-20 05:47 PM
    You can install sendsong and that will allow you to do ringtones from your current media library. Also allows you to send them via email.

If you dont want to use EDGE then i would download bossprefs as well so that you can turn off edge. The phone typically pushes everything through edge when it doesnt have a wifi connection. This will make sure that edge is not used.
    Last edited by kcisjojo; 2008-04-20 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    16 GB 1.1.4 Ziphone Unlocked, Activated, Jailbroken
    If I helped you make sure to hit the thanks button

[How To] Customize on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4......Windows Guide...............OS X Guide

How To Fix A Broken Ringer/Silent Switch
    2008-04-20 06:05 PM
    ederoo,

A simple search of the forums would have given you the answers to these questions. Searching is an integral part of forum existence. Other than that...

Welcome to modmyi.com!
    2008-04-20 06:38 PM
    for #4, you said that you can surf/stream media if you have the right 3rd applications....what are these 3rd applications? Thanks!
    Your lookin at iTransmogrify and videohamster, you have to google it in your iPhone. These are NOT in installer.....

You have to save these two as bookmarks and edit the url addresses so the url starts with "java2786blah blah blah blah"
    2008-04-21 02:04 AM
    get iTunes 7.4(ThIS IS NOT THE LATEST)
    Get the song you want to become your ringtone. If necessary cut it down to the part you want.
    Put the song into your itunes library
    Right click it and convert it to AAC
    Go to control Panel(make sure its in classic view)
    Click on folder options then click on the "View" Tab
    Uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types"
    Click "Apply" the "Ok"
    Locate your song and change the the extension "m4a" to "m4r"

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro
    2008-04-21 02:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD