Hello to all, First let me say that I have searched this issue high and low and as of right know no solution has been found. I did notice that alot of the threads that I did find where out dated or for older firmware (1.1.1 and later).

This is the rundown of my problem, a friend received a new iphone in the mail as a gift from a family member that lives in a nother state when he got the phone he asked me to unlock/jailbreak/activate it for him I have done this a few times with a 100% success rate. Don't get me wrong I don't consider my self a pro but im not a noob either. Once I got the phone I used Ziphone to do it all, after doing it all I checked the phone to see what firmware it was runing on and it was on 1.1.2. At this point I decided that I would update it to 1.1.3 and run it through Ziphone again so far no problem. I then swapped out the Att SIM and replaced it with my activated T-Mo SIM. I now had the phone runing 1.1.3 with my T-Mo sim with no problem so I proceeded to set up the Edge settings. Edge settings where in and phone was working with no issues at this point I then started to add Apps. to the phone like BSD sub., SMB, some themes, open ssh and more sources. once that was all installed I tried out some themes and noticed that some were not working correctly so I fired up WinSCP to take a look inside I found that some of the themes were being sent to a location in var. but it seems that the new summerboard is retreiving themes from private/mobile/summerboard/themes (not 100% sure about that location as I do not have WinScp open now) so I then moved the themes to the location were SMB is retreiving from, checked the themes and they were working perfectly. So I Log off of WinSCP and and unplug phone and power it off and back on. Once it powers back up I notice that I have no Signal !! My house is pretty spotty when it comes to service so I step outside and nothing. I then did a Network reset power cycled the phone again and no luck, then I reset all the settings and still nothing at this point I decided to check my network settings and T-Mo was no longer there all I got was Automatic or Manual so I Restored the phone and re did the process again, after doing this several times and restoring to all firmwares (.1,.2 & .4) I always got the same result. I then ran it through Ziphone's refurbish option and locked up the phone and restored it at 1.1.2 to start from a clean slate and still no signal. it has now been about a week that I have been dealing with this so today put my sim back into my friends phone to givie it another try and it still said "no service" but this time I decided i would just leave it as is and go out to take care of a few things with the phone on me, well as I am out and about it seems that the phone received signal but all it did was show the signal display with no bars but it said T-mo as carrier. I checked network settings and T-mo was there too. I drove a little more and noticed that the bars where not coming up so I stopped and tried to make a call and surprizingly it went through, three min. later I ended the call and checked the phone and it tells me that the "network was lost" ?!? I hadn't moved ?!? so im back at square one can anyone help me out

BTW I have put my friends iphone and my iphone side by side and when his says no signal I swap the sim back to my iphone and it gets good signal, WTF is going on !?!

some people are stating that apple has released some kind of update into Itunes that cripples unauthorized carriers could this be true ?

Thank you all for your help in advance !!
    2008-04-21 07:03 PM
    Your best bet is to just upgrade to 1.1.4 and use the pwnage tool to jailbreak and unlock. It should work like a charm on your friends phone.
    2008-04-21 07:58 PM
    i would use ziphone to restore to stock state and upgrade to 1.1.4 in itunes then unlock with your program of choice. pwnage works the best so does bootneuter. \

apple has not updated or cripple non-att carriers. =] good luck and DFU restore and upgrade
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon
    2008-04-21 08:04 PM
    Well I am now starting to think that this is a defective phone. Another friend came by and dropped off his iPhone stating that he "Accidentally" updated it to 1.1.4 I pluged his phone in, ran Ziphone and was working with no prob.

Does anyone know the best way to send the problimatic phone back to apple to have it exchanged, is it possible to go to the apple store and exchange it ?? If so what are the proceedures ? I have never sent a phone back to apple nor do I know anyone that has so I dont know if they do any kind of questioning. Since we are using t-mo and we do not have an active cingular accnt. it makes it kind of hard to explain the issues with out voiding the warrantee.

By the way im runing Windows and since WinPwn is still in beta stages only thing that can be done is jailbreak according to most tutorials, Is this true or has the full version came out yet ?
    2008-04-22 04:44 PM
    winpwn can be unlocked after you use the winpwn jailbreak with installer. theres a post here to do it. i havent tried it yet. i would DFU restore and upgrade to 1.1.4 then try agiain.
    you might be able to return or exchange if you are within the 30 days of purchase. if not i have heard of people who have bought a prepaid att sim and used that but im not positive if they got it passed apple
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon
    2008-04-22 05:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD