Are there any apps that will allow you to add a second APN to your iPhone? My work email requires access to a specific access point, which won't allow access to other data...

I'm using the iphone on the O2 network in Ireland.

Thanks!
    2007-11-05 07:47 PM
    Are there any apps that will allow you to add a second APN to your iPhone? My work email requires access to a specific access point, which won't allow access to other data...

I'm using the iphone on the O2 network in Ireland.

Thanks!
    iPhone also has VPN settings, which sounds more like what you need.
    2007-11-05 08:02 PM
    That's what I thought as well. But I checked, and my work email uses IMAP, so I told it had to be done through the APN and not VPN?

Can you use the VPN as a bypass for the APN (possibly a stupid question, apologies if it is!!).
    2007-11-05 08:06 PM
    Strange for an office to do that, but whatever. If that's the case, you can just use the Mail application, and create an IMAP account using your work's settings.
    2007-11-05 08:15 PM
    Strange for an office to do that, but whatever. If that's the case, you can just use the Mail application, and create an IMAP account using your work's settings.
    I've done that - but the work mail will only work with the access point address they use, and it won't allow general "internet" data browsing.

What I need is one APN "account" for work, and another to use for general browsing / gmail retrieval. My old w950i let me create multiple internet accounts for this...
    2007-11-05 08:22 PM
    You drive a hard bargain. Ok, edit the apn.plist files (from here: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/UnknownCarrier.plist)

And simply add another <dict> reference with your works' APN settings. Hopefully you know how to edit these things?
    2007-11-05 08:34 PM
    You drive a hard bargain. Ok, edit the apn.plist files (from here: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/UnknownCarrier.plist)

And simply add another <dict> reference with your works' APN settings. Hopefully you know how to edit these things?
    Cheers - I'll try that!

...thought I had it, but the advanced settings don't change...must be doing it wrong!

Any idiot-proof solution out there?!
    Last edited by Sparky10; 2007-11-06 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-11-06 12:47 AM
    is the first time that i try to personalize the iphone and i have the same problem how can i edit that file
    tks
    2008-01-07 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.