View Poll Results: How functional is the browsing experience with WiFi (no Edge)?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brilliant~ as good at the Network you access. Even grabs embedded photos and video with ease.

8 61.54%
  • Not bad~Text is fast, but it takes its sweet time for embedded photos or videos.

5 38.46%
  • Not fun~Only good for major websites like NYT or Apple. It's too slow to browse comfortably.

0 0%
  • Awlful~ only good for Text based websites and it still sucks. Wait for 3G!

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    So I'm trying to decide whether I buy a version 1 iPhone now, or wait and pay alot more for the 3G phone...

I would hope to turn off the edge network altogether and just access the email/safari web stuff through local wifi networks. I read in these forums that the Edge network's transfer rate is somthing like 300 kilobytes per second, whereas the 3G network can transfer around 1.5 megabytes per second.

But how is the browsing experience with the current phones using WiFi? Any idea what the transfer speeds are? But more importantly what's the load time on a couple of websites? Is it annoyingly slow, or functional for daily browsing?

And with all these third party apps. coming out that allow you to stream stuff from your own computer or over the web. Will that be a good possibility with the current hardware?
    2008-05-13 03:37 PM
    You are asking people for their PERSONAL opinion which may greatly differ from your own even given the same "browsing experience". If I had to draw an objective analogy I would say edge is to wi-fi as dial up is to DSL.
    2008-05-13 03:52 PM
    plus wait a month to make a choice. version 1 is gonna be cheap as hell (filling the world with iphones as if their ipods :@) when v2 is coming to town
    Thanks is an acknowledgment
    2008-05-13 04:22 PM
    I'd love to wait a month, but my phone died and I have get something quick! I'm liking the phone as it is, assuming that all the same software experiences and upgrades will be supported on the older hardware.

I would be nice if those prices would drop now, of course. If anyone has a phone in good shape now, we should chat.
    Last edited by bjlawrence11; 2008-05-13 at 04:58 PM. Reason: signature
    My current phone's toast and I want an iPhone!
    2008-05-13 04:55 PM
    my wifi experiance is great, with a nice connection,my home connection is awsome., it can almost (keyword almost) compete with my laptop, and no i dont have a 2000 dollar laptop. its more like 500 but my top can run circles around every one in my house and they spent at least a grand
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!
    2008-05-14 06:48 AM
    Well i think it could be faster. When im going to sites on my iphone that have a regular amount of GFX like myspace, it takes a few. 3G will solve my problem

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro
    2008-05-14 08:41 AM
    he was asking about wifi. is the iphone 2 really gonna get better wifi..? i doubt it. it may get the mighty "n" whtever it is but honestly who has a router that supports that new standered
    2008-05-14 01:01 PM
    Brilliant!
    It is looking more and more like I won't wait for iPhone Version 2... I don't want to lock myself into a new Roger's Canada contract when it's released.
    2008-05-14 04:30 PM
    Wifi works quite well but it seems to be slower than my network. I have a wireless laptop that is faster, still not bad though. What is annoying is when Ihave a very weak wifi signal, the pages almost stop loading. I have to shut off wifi and use edge in those cases its actually quicker. So in a nutshell, when the wifi is working its great.
    2008-05-14 05:10 PM
    i still wish it would load flash so lame why cant adobe and apple just be friends
    2008-05-15 04:22 AM
    All depends on the connection. Though, I'd give it about a 93% (compared to my computer being 100%). Wifi's pretty much wifi. Only difference compared to a computer would be a slower processor, ram, etc.

If i were you, I'd wait.
    Borrow a phone from a friend, or find a really cheap one to hold you over.
    2008-05-15 09:41 AM
    Thanks everyone. It sounds like i would be totally happy with Version one's wireless...but it looks like I'll wait out the month and see what Steve has on offer. Of course now I'm dreaming up the possibilities...
    2008-05-16 04:30 AM
    lol yeh if ur gonna spend the 500 it might as well be the latest and the greatist
    2008-05-16 08:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD