i just got my iphone and installed iLiberty. i dont want to be charged fees for using the edge network. how do i turn it off? its not under settings/general/network.

where would i go to turn it off?
    2008-05-20 03:43 AM
    wht? umm.. airplane mode, in settings at very top, but i think this turns off wifi to. but if u dont have a plane u wont be able to use edge. also be alil more specific next time. im still not even sure what ur question was. if its already jailbroken use bosspref to turn off edge
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!
    2008-05-20 04:54 AM
    1.You need a program like WINSCP
    2. ssh into your iphone
    3. cd /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
    3.5. copy (or duplicate) preferences.plist to preferences.plist.orig (to make a backup)
    4. download preferences.plist to your desktop and open in plain text editer
    5. search for "cingular"
    6. This should bring you to a code chunk that has the following
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>wap.cingular</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string>CINGULAR1</string>
    <key>username</key>
    <string>[email protected]</string>
    7. replace wap.cingular with 'nowhere' (no quotes, and you can basically type anything in there)
    8. Save and upload to the phone
    9. reboot phone and now it should tell you it can't find EDGE network -
    10. when you want to get back onto EDGE, simply SSH into phone, goto the respective directory, rename preferences.plist to preferences.plist.off and then rename the .orig file back to the original name (by removing the .orig) and the reboot and you will be able to reconnect...

If all this seems a bit complicated, do your homework and you'll figure it out. Between this website,google, and youtube, you can learn alot. good luck.
    2008-05-20 05:14 AM
    why would he need to do that, if its already jailbroken he can just install boss prefs and turn it of with the slide of a button, telling noobs to ssh to phone and mess with file system is the last thing u waNNA DO
    NO OFFENSE BOUT THE NOOB COMMENT ooops sry caps
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!
    2008-05-20 06:00 AM
    thanks guys for the help! is there a reliable/safe place where i can get bosspref?
    2008-05-20 08:28 AM
    I disagree. That's a good point but the more apps you install on your phone, the more of a chance your taking on there being a conflict or problem of some kind. And if you don't know how to SSH into your phone, then maybe you shouldn't be hackin with it at all, and the sooner you learn the better, in case sometime you may have no other choice. Not to mention that you should do your "homework" before attempting anything. There are plenty of guides,tutorials, and visual guides both here and on youtube to teach you. That's how I learned and I've jailbroken, ssh'ed, restored, jailbroken again etc. with both itouch and iphone and haven't had a single problem. But I spend hours studying before any modification and I highly recommend not to try anything until you've done likewise. And I use youtube a lot because there are some highly skilled individuals that post videos regularly and there's nothing like a visual guide to build confidence!
    2008-05-20 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD