Hi everone!

I am new to this forum, and also new to the iphone I just got one on the apple store in the 5th avenue on saturday

I am very lost, i have read many posts, and they talk about jailbreaking, activation, unlocking, devirgination..... :S

Could someone explain me in easy words what is all those things?

My phone asks me to activate it through itunes (but i am going to use it in SPAIN), so i don't know if i can activate it with itunes and then use it with a spanish SIM CARD.

I think, that basically there are 3 operations (please correct me if wrong)

1- Activate your iphone: Do that so that itunes recognizes it? Can you do it even if you are not going to use AT SIM CARD?

2- Unlock your phone: To use any SIM

3- Jailbreak: Install 3 party applications..

Another question would be, if i manage to do all the stuff to make the iphone work, when a new firmware is released, do i have to do the same procedure, loosing all my contacts, applications...?

Thanks a lot!!

ANDER.
    2007-11-18 03:45 PM
    jailbreaking is how you are able to install 3rd party apps.

unlocking allows you to use a non-AT&T sim card (since you are going to use it in spain you will not activate through itunes).

you will have to find the correct thread to match the firmware that is on your phone and it will explain the details in more depth.

read this thread about 1.1.2: http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15752

if you are lucky and your phone has 1.1.1 the goto jailbreakme.com
    Last edited by opusandbill; 2007-11-18 at 07:28 PM.
    2007-11-18 07:22 PM
    Hi Opusand!

Thanks for your reply!

I don't know the firmware, i have read that the iphones now come with the 1.1.2 and with a new bootloader... How can i check that?

Anyway, if i have 1.1.1, and go to jailbreakme.com, this page will allow me to activate/unlock/jailbreak the iphone?

On the other side, everytime you update your iphone to a newer firmware, do you have to reactive the iphone? Or only unlock and jailbreak?

Thanks again!!
    2007-11-18 07:48 PM
    yes jailbreakme does everything and if you update you would most likely need to rejailbreak. but you do not have to update just because there is a update. I am not sure how to check the firmware on a unactivated phone.
    2007-11-18 07:59 PM
    To check the firmware on a unactivated iphone:

Go to Emergency

call *3001#12345#*

The Firmware Version should be there.

If it is 04.xxx, then it is 1.1.1(ie. 04.01.13_G)
    BeerMan
    2007-11-19 12:54 AM
    Thanks for the reply!

I will be checking my firmware, and if it is 1.1.2, waiting until an unlocking and jailbreacking method becomes available...

Us phones are now selling with the new bootloader? Or since when have they started to?

Thanks!
    2007-11-19 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD