I have a 1.1.1 phone running unlocked on Tmobile. For whatever reason, I can't send emails - from a POP or IMAP account because the phone won't save the outgoing (SMTP) info - the "authentication" menu is disabled in the Advanced menu of the email settings. Without being able to modify that, the mail program can't properly access my mail server. When I try to send, it gives me a "Cannot send mail: The connection to the outgoing server 'mail.server.com' failed."

I've tried everything I know to do to fix it - the settings themselves are correct.

- I've deleted the account and added it back on the phone
    - I've deleted the account and then synced the phone to let iTunes add it back
    - I've appended the port number at the end of the SMTP server

The phone won't let me add an SMTP password (it says 'optional' and when I change it, it doesn't save and the authentication method can't be modified either).

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this?
    2007-11-27 06:58 AM
    I have exactly the same problem.
    I'm on firmware 1.1.2 and the option to enter a password for smtp is greyed out!
    HELP!
    I've deleted and re-entered the account four times, very carefully and I still can't send mail.
    The syncing with IMAP is awesome, I just wish I could send...
    2007-11-29 07:00 PM
    Same issue here with aol. I receive mail fine but my mail will not send. Any insight is greatly appreicated.
    2008-01-04 03:04 AM
    let's figure this out, as I am having the same problem, except I no longer even see a place to enter my password on 1.1.2 for AOL on T-Mobile. And all of this was working fine a few days ago. What programs have you guys installed recently, could swirlymms or Boss Prefs mess with any of these settings? I think I'm going to try downloading the iTouch mail client and see how that goes, this is just frustrating now
    2008-01-11 05:13 AM
    anyone figure this one out?
    -Ben
    2008-02-05 07:36 AM
    I stopped having this problem after updating to 2.2.1 then jailbreaking and unlocking with quickpwn.
    2009-03-06 11:44 PM
    Change permissions in /var/Keychains to 777
    2009-03-07 02:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD