im just curious, what's apple's reasoning behind not having any mms capabilities with the new phone?
    2008-06-13 03:14 PM
    I'm not sure, but it does become one big negative on the iPhone for myself, my wife, and our friends. How is it that every cell phone out there can send/receive MMS but not the iPhone. Try explaing that to a family member that wants you to forward them a picture from your ultra cool phone.
    <--- I'm new so don't hit me just yet.
    2008-06-13 03:50 PM
    Because Apple will have to either create an MMS client stack for iPhone - which is more standards(OMA)-orientation than real technology OR they will have to license the MMS client stack from someone. There are way too many patents associated with MMS too.

Moreover, whatever you do with MMS can essentially be done by emailing over a faster data connection.

Just my 2 cents.
    2008-06-13 03:51 PM
    That is true about the email but I do have some friends that don't have email access (as odd as it is now-a-days) and they want the picture sent to their phone. Or, like my parents, don't have a way of getting pictures to their phones from their computer/email.

The bottom line is that this is one glaring oversite to many people that should have been fixed with the 2.0 software announcement. To be honest my wife and I have been talking about going to BlackBerry as you can do MMS and Video recording on their newer devices - two things left out of the iPhone but yet able to do on a Treo and other devices.
    2008-06-13 03:56 PM
    Why won't people email the pics?!
    2008-06-13 04:21 PM
    Again the problem with email is that some people don't have email so they can't get the picture from you OR others don't have a way of getting the picture to their phone from their email. MMS is a simple way of sending picture messages from one phone to another without having to go through hoops to be able to view the picture.

Motorla, Palm, Research in Motion, LG, Sony, all have this ability on their manufactured phones. Why can't apple add this as a feature to the iPhone?
    2008-06-13 04:51 PM
    marketing strategy or not, its ********. apple has no right to hold back MMS which was available on the RAZR for christ sake!!!! i mean seriously, the razr has a feature that every iphone owner is dieing to have. a free phone thats almost 4 years old has MMS and the amazing iphone (the at one time, $800 phone) doesn't!!!! and the second version doesn't either!!!! it is seriously ridiculous
    2008-06-13 04:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD