Hey guys, this was just a random idea that popped in my head yesterday. Hopefully if this is a good idea, it could help you too!

I was reading on the news forum on the front page, "Almost everything you wanted to know about the 3G Iphone" and i came across the part where it talks about trading in your current iPhone.

it says, "So if I bought an original iPhone, I can trade it in for an iPhone 3G?

Yes, but only if you bought it AFTER May 27th, 2008. Anyone who bought theirs before that has to live with their purchase."

Now im a iPhone owner since june 27th of last year... i bought a 4gb iPhone and accessories for over $600... but recently the 16gb iPhone came out and i wanted to sell mine and get that. So i did... I bought a 16gb iphone back in Febuary, but heres the thing.... i never activated it through iTunes.. i just jailbroke and unlocked it right out of the box....

So heres the question... if i restore my iPhone and activated it through iTunes(now that its after May 27th) do you think im eligible for a trade in?
    2008-06-17 04:13 PM
    I don't think so since you can see on the serial number which week it it was made.

Edit: Try this:
    Brick your iPhone in any way.
    Take it to any Apple Store and tell them some crap (e.g "my phone suddenly stopped working bla bla").
    Since the 1st gen iPhones are out of stock they'll give you a sweet new white 16gig iPhone 2nd gen
    Last edited by oskarki; 2008-06-17 at 05:50 PM.
    2008-06-17 05:48 PM
    Or another option would be to go into the apple store, look at one of the demo units and cut the cable and run like hell.

If you are going to steal, go all the way, leave no gray area.
    2008-06-17 06:05 PM
    old for new never works.....out of stock only means they wont sell it. apple keeps numerous old refurbs around for us trade-up wannabes ....for example they swapped my 2nd gen black and white 20 gb ipod all while laughing at me for thinking i couldve at least walked away with a color or video ipod.
    2008-06-17 07:05 PM
    Not gonna happen.

Besides, the 3g phone can not be successfully jailbroken/unlocked at this point... and the phone is cheaper than what you paid???
    2008-06-17 07:47 PM
    Or another option would be to go into the apple store, look at one of the demo units and cut the cable and run like hell.

If you are going to steal, go all the way, leave no gray area.
    Are the 3G demo units even in the Apple stores yet?
    2008-06-17 09:44 PM
    Are the 3G demo units even in the Apple stores yet?
    Nope.

But I figured if he was willing to steal when they come out, just go all the way and stop trying to hide behind a thin veil or morality.
    2008-06-17 10:30 PM
    you wont get a 3g unit. they have tons of phones on stock for replacements. i went last week cause my 4 gig died. guy came out with like 6 4 gig phones.
    2008-06-18 02:52 AM
    There gonna go by the receipt also. Ummmmm, of course. Unless you can brick that too
    2008-06-18 04:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD