While attempting to downgrade to "iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw" and following a video tutorial to use iBrickr .91 I got to where it asked if the screen was Green or Red, it was Green so it asked to do another Restore and I tried, accept now every time I try and Restore it gives me the "iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (6)" and basically over and over again "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone with iTunes before it can be used with iTunes." The phone seems be be either permanently stuck in DFU I guess because it won't turn on any other way. It is always detected by iTunes, ZipPhone says it's in DFU mode, and iBrickr won't recognize it at all. The only time the screen seems to turn on is when iTunes tries to restore the firmware, unfortunately it's useless because it gets an error every time it tries to restore.... help!
    2008-06-23 01:02 AM
    ok first problem usage of ziphone,inshort ziphone spoils the iphone
    next
    Download iliberty+ (theiphoneproject.org)
    Restore your iPhone into DFU mode (dont know how to DFU use iliberty+),then restore it using itunes to the latest version 1.1.4
    then jailbreak,unlock,installer etc at your own convenience.
    2008-06-23 01:38 AM
    Well whenever I connect the iPhone to my PC it seems it already is in DFU mode. iLiberty says DFU Mode at the bottom right, and everything is greyed out so I can't click anything in the program.... unless I choose a Restore in iTunes, which then will give me a couple seconds (apple logo pops up on screen) where I can click "Jump out of Recovery Mode" or "Enter DFU Mode" in iLiberty.

While being DFU Mode under iTunes and attempting to Restore to 1.1.4 it also gave me the same error (6).

Now, I want DFU Mode (which I'm obviously getting), so that I can then get into Recover Mode (which also appears to happen). I just don't understand the errors. This phone does nothing and shows nothing unless it is in Recovery Mode (apple logo, spinny at bottom).
    2008-06-23 02:12 AM
    Well whenever I connect the iPhone to my PC it seems it already is in DFU mode. iLiberty says DFU Mode at the bottom right, and everything is greyed out so I can't click anything in the program.... unless I choose a Restore in iTunes, which then will give me a couple seconds (apple logo pops up on screen) where I can click "Jump out of Recovery Mode" or "Enter DFU Mode" in iLiberty.

While being DFU Mode under iTunes and attempting to Restore to 1.1.4 it also gave me the same error (6).

Now, I want DFU Mode (which I'm obviously getting), so that I can then get into Recover Mode (which also appears to happen). I just don't understand the errors. This phone does nothing and shows nothing unless it is in Recovery Mode (apple logo, spinny at bottom).
    Try to restore back to 1.1.4 and see if you get the error 6 problem if so check this link:

iPhone and iPod touch: Unable to restore
    Last edited by hiflyer; 2008-06-23 at 03:05 AM.
    2008-06-23 02:55 AM
    Try to restore back to 1.1.4 and see if you get the error 6 problem if so check this link:

iPhone and iPod touch: Unable to restore

Hmm same thing, I can't get anything to show on this phone unless it's in "Recovery Mode", it'll be the black screen with Apple logo, and if I mess w/ iLiberty I can get a Green screen w/ Apple logo or a Red screen w/ Apple logo. The update/restore seems to go through it's process, but once it finishes/verifies is when I get the error.
    2008-06-23 03:10 AM
    When you plug your phone into itunes, is the screen black with no logo or already has the apple logo. If you have a logo showing then it is not in DFU mode.

This method should get you into the proper DFU mode:
    1. Connect to your computer, hold the power and home buttons down (the iphone will power off after about 10 seconds, but keep holding both buttons down)
    2. As soon as the iPhone powers off, (black screen) release the power button (but keep holding the home button down). (If you see the apple logo or connect to itunes logo you are not in DFU mode so try it again)
    3. After about 20 seconds or so, Itunes should see your iphone. It is now safe to release the home button, and your iPhone is in DFU mode.
    Now iTunes should ask you to restore its firmware.
    Last edited by hiflyer; 2008-06-23 at 03:21 AM.
    2008-06-23 03:15 AM
    When you plug your phone into itunes, is the screen black with no logo or already has the apple logo. If you have a logo showing then it is not in DFU mode.
    I can't get the phone to turn on or do anything when it isn't plugged into the PC.... so the screen is black (no logo) when I plug it in, I hold lock/home until it is recognized through usb/iTunes and tells me it found an iPhone that needs to be restored (still no logo). So I click Restore (either SHIFT+RESTORE for an old firmware, or just RESTORE for new firmware) either way it'll flick the phone on to a White screen, then turn into the black screen w/ Apple logo and the spin loader at the bottom. It prepares, installs, verifies, gets error. Then phone shuts off again.
    2008-06-23 03:35 AM
    One other thing. Have you tried the ziphone modes "restart in normal mode"
    2008-06-23 03:48 AM
    I'm in almost exactly the same boat as you toddsfeinb

I's wanting to restore back to 1.1.4 and all i get is "Error 6" abou 1/3 of the way into it. My iphone is in constant restore mode as i can see the connect to ipod icon constantly however i can fairly easily get into DFU mode by the modmyi prescribed method and using Iliberty+

Prior to all this i altered accidently something very simple in changing dial screen, i'd backed up the Mobilephone.app folder and deleted the contents of it then transfered the backed up content back and wam all my icons were strangely dead & inactive, click on them and they dont do anything...

So thought dam! tried a few things and was advised to "restore to 1.1.4, setup as NEW. Jailbreak & with iliberty+".

Sweet, i thought and then Bam the "Error 6" keeps coming up and it's locked into Restore Mode, IBrickr makes my phone Green so, Itunes it is then but Hey?

What's up with this "Error 6"?

I've read a lot about people with similar situations and tried a huge amount of methods but at this moment nothing has been successful...
    2008-06-23 03:55 AM
    One other thing. Have you tried the ziphone modes "restart in normal mode"

I actually have been trying to do that, I can have ZipPhone opened while iTunes prepares it's Restore and hit Normal Mode and it says it's booting it up in Normal Mode, it also tells me Done! .... however the phone stays in basically the same state it has been (no Normal Mode).
    2008-06-23 05:15 AM
    lets all jump to Diamonds thread and ill try to troubleshoot you both at the same time... i dont want to type things twice, not because im an *** just because im not in the mood tonight haha... todds ill see you there his is titled error 6 something something...

It Is What It Is...
    2008-06-23 05:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD