1. Criss's Avatar
    It gets caught in my fingernail it's about an inch long. How can i get it out? I read that I can use 2200 grit sandpaper and wet sand it out of the glass, but I really really really don't want to do that. Seems like sanding would be an easy way to cloud the glass and mess up the display a lot worse than this little ol' scratch.
    2007-08-09 10:12 PM
  2. Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Tried any of those cd scratch remover products?

    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2007-08-09 10:14 PM
  3. Criss's Avatar
    No I haven't tried anything yet. I'm too scared that something not made for glass will make it fog up and look horrible. I thought about trying to hide it with some car wax, but that would only be a temporary fix that I'd end up having to do repeatedly...
    2007-08-09 10:33 PM
  4. h3lpmedic's Avatar
    If the scratch is deep enough to catch your fingernails, then i don't recommend sanding. That would be a lot of material to remove, and you would have to dismantle the phone completely to WET sand the glass in one direction.

    You can try the following web site(they sell replacement components for the iphone):

    How did you damage your phone anyway?
    2007-08-09 11:09 PM
  5. Criss's Avatar
    I'm not sure... I keep it in a leather holster with micro suede inside 90% of the time. The other 10% it spends in a pocket with nothing else in it. I haven't dropped it, and I haven't dropped anything on it. I honestly have no idea where it could have come from. I'd feel a lot better knowing I had dropped it or something, at least then I'd know where it came from and that it was my fault.

    edit: thanks for the link, but for $200 +shipping I think I'd rather just put up with the scratch, in addition to the risk of disassembling - reassembling the phone.
    2007-08-09 11:17 PM
  6. h3lpmedic's Avatar
    I guess it wouldnt hurt to check with an apple store to see what could be done. perhaps they could give you a better deal on getting it fixed, or if you are really lucky and have knee pads in hand they may pass it through and cover it under warranty.
    2007-08-10 01:54 AM
  7. Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Yah I'd recommend CD scratch remover, but I'd ask Apple first just to make sure.

    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2007-08-10 09:25 AM
  8. Criss's Avatar
    No scratch removers worked. I tried several including CD types. The scratch was just too deep for any filler type thing to work, but there is good news to be had.

    I called Apple Care and got someone who could barely speak English, and she told me they wouldn't cover intentional damages to the phone, including scratches. So I then asked to speak to someone else and got a very friendly CSR named Travis, who didn't ask any questions. He said give me one second to read over the notes, and then said "Sir I'm sorry for all the trouble, we'll send you a loaner phone free of charge, and get your phone repaired ASAP." All of this without me saying one word to the guy, I was so thrilled, I didn't even care about the loaner, but it was icing on the cake. I'm definitely an Apple fanboy after this!
    2007-08-27 01:25 AM