Anyone know if this will work on the iphone 3g
    2008-11-09 06:39 AM
    Just to ease everyone's minds.Here it is!
    Improving lower speaker output
    Having a hard time with your speaker phone or enjoying music? Many people in this forum thread are discussing a method of improving audio by poking a needle through their antenna cover to remove some of the padding material between the antenna cover and the speaker feed horn.

In my example below I've removed my antenna cover (you do not need to do this). A blue rectangle has been drawn around the padding material over the microphone, just to show you what the material that you must poke through looks like. The green rectangle has been drawn around the speaker feed horn that has had the padding material completely removed. You can see that it is safe to poke a needle through the material into the speaker feed horn as there is nothing to damage on the other side of it.

Cheers: ~2isted~
    Last edited by 2isted; 2008-11-09 at 07:42 PM.
    2008-11-09 07:34 PM
    I read the original suggestion, and it got me interested.
    I went a step further. I opened the antenna cover, and removed the whole membrane, rather than just punching holes in it.

I can confirm that it is louder now.

To remove the antenna cover, it was quite easy. I just used tape, following the suggestion from here:
    [1.1.2 OTB] How to open the antenna cover? - Hackint0sh

Just try to remember how to put it back
    2008-11-17 06:33 AM
    Dont think I will be trying this lol
    2008-11-17 10:15 AM
    Dont think I will be trying this lol
    I did this a while back, and it def. works. After I did it, and actually not too long ago, I was trying to replace the backplate on my iPhone, and screwed my antenna plate up pretty good. Anyways, long story short, I had the antenna plate off, and the speaker is nowhere to be found (It's actually in quite a bit, and wouldn't be affected by a pinprick). All you are going through is a protection screen so dirt doesn't get into the speaker. But with a pinprick hole, it dirt still can't get through.
    2008-11-24 07:39 PM
    This really worked for me. I thought for sure this was a software issue and I was busy reading how to reset the volume by using openSSH, etc., and decided WTF? Let me just try this poking-the-speaker-hole method. And I was blown away. 60%? No way, for me it went from having to put my ear right next to the speaker to hear any sounds (music, podcasts, system sounds, etc.) to being able to hear it LOUDLY. Now, it is the same volume I experienced when I first bought it. I keep my iPhone in my laptop bag and it does pick up quite a bit of dust/dirt when I travel. I'd say the volume increased net for me by 300%. Thank you everyone.
    2008-12-10 02:23 AM
    I can't believe it's been almost a year since I wrote about this. Everyone I know have performed this trick with great results. Many threads and blogs have written about it and there are even videos showing how its done. For those that never took the risk, you don't know what you've been missing.

skorpiond
    NetJavu
    Last edited by skorpiond; 2008-12-10 at 02:47 AM.
    2008-12-10 02:44 AM
    I used the tape method to take off the antenna cover and took the little black cover off, and it is AMAZING how much of a difference it made! This method to me was safer to me than poking holes in my phone and I would suggest this one instead!!! Thanks Yakuza77 for the tape suggestion!!!!
    Last edited by betbet02; 2008-12-20 at 03:38 AM.
    2008-12-20 03:31 AM
    I used the tape method and then removed the speaker screen completely. It amazing how thin it was and yet how much it impacted the sound. I use a handvac to suck dust out the area from time to time.
    Last edited by ZipZapp; 2008-12-31 at 03:42 PM.
    2008-12-20 01:42 PM
    It works !!!!!

After much hesitation, finally got my self an unbent staple pin & then bingo !

After having done it and knowing how gently I pushed, a purely selfish feeling tells me that I didnt make any "holes" so that dust/moisture will be an issue :-)

Heres wishing everybody a very Happy New Year.

cheers.
    2008-12-31 01:20 PM
    If folks are worried about pushing in a pin, remove the antenna cover and puncture the screen from behind. I removed it completely.

I think the screen is made from some sort of sound absorbing material as I cannot figure how something so thin made such an impact to the sound.

If you worry about dust or moisture, get a SENA ultra slim case to keep the phone clean and safe while in your pocket.
    2008-12-31 03:45 PM
    i've seen it asked about 3 times in this thread and i havent seen an answer to it...does it work for the 3g. or did they remove this flap or filter thing? i want to try this on my fone but i dont know if it'll help any.
    2009-02-03 05:16 AM
    anyone?!?!?!?!
    2009-02-06 06:20 AM
    i mite do this even tho i gt a 16 gig... how deep should the needle go? also I'm sure that if a drop of water gets in ur screwed. Once when i had a 4gig my phone was literrally inside a snowball and it survived, so this might destroy its waterproofness
    Just put the needle in the LEFT HOLE IN THE MIDDLE (srry caps lock)

you should feel a very thin plastic material DO IT SLOWLY do not push too deep or you might kill you speaker just do it slowly and easly and its like 50% more louder
    2009-10-20 02:42 AM
    Be sure you poke the speaker side. I opened the phone and the speaker does not appear to be right at the grill.

Its a wave tunnel.
    2009-10-20 05:07 PM
    I dont think this will work for any other iphone except the 2g, because the 3g and 3gs have a metal mesh, so to answer (if this works on 3g) questions,No, sorry.
    2009-10-20 05:15 PM
    Or, you could take the black plastic cover off of the back of the 1st gen iPhone and remove the black piece of mesh tape covering the speaker...lol, that would be easier than poking through it wouldnt it?
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2009-10-21 01:52 AM
    Yep... I am with Dallas on this one. Wouldnt mind trying it, but would like to see someone with some pics to make sure.
    2009-10-21 10:47 AM
    just gotta share, after poking those holes, it is very loud n clear now!!!

awesome!!

to add : right now my ringer at 50% is loud enough!
    Last edited by hingmin; 2009-10-23 at 07:59 PM.
    2009-10-23 07:56 PM
    Its not much louder lol i removed protection fon nothin. I phone volume and battery blows goats for nickles lol love it still hacks addictive
    2009-11-18 08:21 AM
222 ... 9101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD