hell yeah i use "old phone"

ill try it soon but my mike is on the fritz and i want to find out if ima have to send this into apple before possibly voiding a warranty (maybe apple wont like the holes?)
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.
    2008-01-09 12:21 AM
    Just curious.

For those who have puched holes and saw no difference, did you have an old or new phone (what week)?

Those with succsss what version/week was your phone?

Perhaps iphonew built later had the issue resolved in manufacturing?
    2008-01-12 01:45 AM
    it worked for me.. week 39
    2008-01-12 02:10 AM
    Just curious.

For those who have puched holes and saw no difference, did you have an old or new phone (what week)?

Those with succsss what version/week was your phone?

Perhaps iphonew built later had the issue resolved in manufacturing?
    Perhaps folks aren't actually penetrating the shield, or haven't penetrated enough of the holes to make a difference in volume.
    2008-01-12 03:19 AM
    wow, haha.
    that rocks.
    it made it louder by atleast 50%.
    scared the crap out of me haha.
    this should be on the news section,
    everyone should do this.
    2008-01-12 04:56 AM
    I tried this method and it bricked my phone! Damn what do I do now?
    Smash your phone in your head. Very hard. Now that should straighten you out.
    2008-01-12 05:39 AM
    Tried it.....everything is now louder but I have a headache
    2008-01-12 06:03 PM
    i guess im going to try it!!!
    2008-01-12 11:48 PM
    Iam gonna try this soon but right now my speaker is loud
    2008-01-13 12:48 AM
    definatly has worked for me, went in about 1mm. felt resistance but didnt try to peirce it

maybe a 30% increase
    2008-01-14 02:45 AM
    Love it! Some holes resisted more, but it definitively works
    2008-01-17 06:12 AM
    Wow but isn't the plastic or foam or whatever it is suppose to prevent dust from getting in and causing any damage?........
    2008-01-17 07:26 AM
    Yessss.. it does work! I just tried it.. thanks!!
    2008-01-18 03:54 AM
    I cannot see how punching a few very tiny holes through a rubber gasket is going to somehow now open the floodgates for dust. Removing the flap is another story. If you are so worried....carry the phone upside down in your pocket.

What ever you do, I would not use compressed air to blow out the speaker...that WILL force dust into th iPhone.

If apple had been wiser they should have used speaker foam. At least foam lets sound waves pass.
    Last edited by ZipZapp; 2008-01-18 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-01-18 01:41 PM
    What about the sound quality? Does poking through this 'membrane' cause any kind of distortion or poor sounding music/ring tone? Loud music that sounds like crap isn't any better than soft music sounding great

vince
    2008-01-18 03:22 PM
    i'd like to introduce myself to the forums by offering for sale an official iphone speaker fixer tool for sale, $19.95 and FREE SHIPPING!! paypal accepted:
    2008-01-18 06:37 PM
    Interesting...
    Last edited by nuggett76; 2010-11-14 at 03:34 PM. Reason: TMI
    2008-01-18 06:39 PM
    I thought my sound volume was already pretty high, but this definitely did the trick! Did it while I played a song, and at the same instance my needle went into one of the holes I could hear the volume go up quite a bit!! Very good discovery :-) I don't think dust will be much of a problem.. I'll get iPhone v2 by the time it does ;-)
    2008-01-18 07:32 PM
    I thought my sound volume was already pretty high, but this definitely did the trick! Did it while I played a song, and at the same instance my needle went into one of the holes I could hear the volume go up quite a bit!! Very good discovery :-) I don't think dust will be much of a problem.. I'll get iPhone v2 by the time it does ;-)
    aint that the truth! the type of person that bought an iphone is the same type that will replace it with v2..lol
    2008-01-18 07:40 PM
    So being the cautious type, before punching a hole I took a needle and carefully cleaned out the gummed up holes in the speaker grille to see what diff it made.

To my amazement, whenever I lightly pressed down on the plastic (or whatever) barrier/cover Apple installed under the grille of the speaker, the volume increased a lot! Let go and the volume went back to low. Pushed again and raised the volume again. etc. etc.

So maybe what is happening is that when people have low volume it is a result of this internal barrier/cover coming loose or shifting. And what is happening when people puncture the barrier/cover is that they are pushing it back into place (maybe the glue holding it to the body of the phone failed?). And maybe what is happening when people punch holes and there is no change, is that the barrier/cover simply came loose again when they took the needle out.

To those people in the final third category, I ask you to press down on the barrier/cover with a needle or whatever. Even in the holes around the edge of the grille. Does pressing down increase the volume? If so you have provided evidence that this theory may be correct.

And that Apple will now be held to account for selling malfunctioning iPhones.

To all those who are trying to resolve sounds issues through software... take note: you may be futzing around with your settings for nothing.

-Joe

Appreciate this post? Thank me! :-)
    2008-01-18 07:57 PM
222 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD