Does anyone know whether i'll even need to unlock my 2g iphone when 2.0 fw is released? It seems like whether the phone recognizes the sim is all fw based, not hw, and previously, updates allowed new countries to use 2g iphone.

if so, that means i could virginize my phone, upgrade to 2.0, and use it as normal in Canada on Rogers and Fido?
    2008-07-10 12:24 PM
    I was wondering the same thing if I can upgrade my phone to 2.0 and not have to unlock because now Rogers carries it I would do it right now but I'm afraid it bight be locked and them I'll have to wait for the jailbreak and unlock to work...Let me know if you find anything out!
    2008-07-11 01:45 PM
    I upgraded my 8gb iPhone to 2.0 last night, and then put my o2 sim in which is not an iPhone contract sim just there inexpensive simplicity contract, iTunes asked me to activate the iPhone which consisted of pressing continue where it asks for your Apple login, entering an e-mail address and then activate. The iPhone was then activated and runs 2.0 smoothly, all the phone features work perfect (including Edge) and I have been busy downloading half the appstore to it.

It does seem that the software just checks to see if the sim is from an allowed carrier, although if it is your only phone it might be a safer bet to wait until the is an actual Jailbreak out because once you are on 2.0 it seems pretty hard to go back to 1.1.4
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac
    2008-07-11 02:20 PM
    I upgraded my 8gb iPhone to 2.0 last night, and then put my o2 sim in which is not an iPhone contract sim just there inexpensive simplicity contract, iTunes asked me to activate the iPhone which consisted of pressing continue where it asks for your Apple login, entering an e-mail address and then activate. The iPhone was then activated and runs 2.0 smoothly, all the phone features work perfect (including Edge) and I have been busy downloading half the appstore to it.

It does seem that the software just checks to see if the sim is from an allowed carrier, although if it is your only phone it might be a safer bet to wait until the is an actual Jailbreak out because once you are on 2.0 it seems pretty hard to go back to 1.1.4
    Very interesting experiment, thanx for sharing. How can I check the 'allowed carriers' in advance? I am in Greece, with Vodafone Greece as my carrier. Vodafone has confirmed they will be the selected IPHONE carrier for Greece (it is one their website etc.), but they will bring the 3G IP in Greece around October. It will be great if I can do what you did right now.

I am not bothered about installer/cydia etc right know. The appstore will have to do until a proper jailbreak/unlock/activate method is ready from the great DevTeam. What I really want is to get to 2.0 from my 1.1.4 ziphoned (3.9BL) iphone gen1, and the phone to remain completely operational (calls, sms, youtube, edge, etc...).

wow I just saw in zibris blog that VODAFONE GR is one of the supported carriers... man I am tempted!

ZiPhone Status
    Last edited by fuzzy; 2008-07-11 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Locked 1.1.1 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.1 --> Upgraded to 1.1.2 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.2 --> Upgraded to 1.1.3 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.3 --> Upgraded to 1.1.4 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.4 with zIphone --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 2.0.2 with QuickPwn
    Network - Vodafone GR
    Call In/Out - Working!
    Youtube - Done!
    SMS/Edge/GPRS/Wi-Fi - Working!
    2008-07-11 02:49 PM
    very interesting, i bought one for my GF, this saves me alot of headache...yes i bought one right out...ugh 499+tax CDN.

WoW + iPhone = Powned.
    2008-07-11 02:59 PM
    @ Robcoffee, I am very eager to give it a bash what you did with your phone. I want to upgrade my 8GB as well, I have been using a 3g sim card in the phone for the past 6 months with Optus my carrier here in OZ, and they are also 1 of 3 telco's with the new 3g phone. This morning i received a text from them saying " Thanks for choosing Optus for your NEW iphone" I have never been 1 to rush into things, if it aint broke don't fix it sort of moto, but I think, might have to toss a coin.
    2008-07-11 03:31 PM
    Sounds tempting, but I think I am a chicken till a official hack is out, even though I use a supplier who has is an official supplier....
    2008-07-11 03:54 PM
    Very tempting, in another thread, poster stated it was activated in the store and rest was done with itunes and a password, waiting to see what's posted back, might bite the bullet.
    2008-07-11 04:04 PM
    I am picking up another 8gb iPhone 2g (original) tomorrow night I got cheap off ebay, I will try the upgrade to 2.0 and see if I can activate it with a non iphone carrier sim in - and let you know what happens. In theory it should refuse to activate but it will be interesting to see what happens!
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac
    2008-07-11 04:48 PM
    Iit will be, will keep eye on this post. Out of interest did you shift/alt restore to new FW, how did you go about it? Also i DL 2.0 Fw from link up yesterday and it was 225 MB, and currently DL itunes 2.0 FW which is 218.2 MB now thats interesting, wonder what the difference is? anyone shed some light
    2008-07-11 04:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD