I've had the same iPhone from the beginning with barely any problems, I've jailbroken it to 1.1.2, but during the months I've had it, it has gotten pretty beaten up, dents and scratches on the back, a dented speaker, and now today a giant slash through the screen, but it still works. I was hoping to replace it, but i cant seem to find the sales receipt. Would I just be able to walk into the apple store after restoring and showing them the damage, and having it completely replace with a new iphone? and if so, do you think I will still be able to jailbreak it, or are OTB 1.1.2 unjailbreakable?

thanks in advance... and if anyone cares (doubt it) my GF broke up with me on New years Day =[ (yeah I know its random)
    2008-01-04 10:07 AM
    I've had the same iPhone from the beginning with barely any problems, I've jailbroken it to 1.1.2, but during the months I've had it, it has gotten pretty beaten up, dents and scratches on the back, a dented speaker, and now today a giant slash through the screen, but it still works. I was hoping to replace it, but i cant seem to find the sales receipt. Would I just be able to walk into the apple store after restoring and showing them the damage, and having it completely replace with a new iphone? and if so, do you think I will still be able to jailbreak it, or are OTB 1.1.2 unjailbreakable?

thanks in advance... and if anyone cares (doubt it) my GF broke up with me on New years Day =[ (yeah I know its random)
    This is a joke right? No Apple will not exchange your modded beat up phone, as it is not their fault that you dented, dinged and scratched it. Sorry to hear about your breakup.
    2008-01-04 10:20 AM
    whats her number lol
    2008-01-04 10:22 AM
    omfg, u guy's piss me off, I said I would RESTORE it, and the speaker starts to make unwanted noises while playing music.
    also, the scratch/cut through the screen wasn't even my fault. I was walking and some dude basically knocked it out of my hand into the street... As well, the camera which used to have good quality, will blur images even with a steady, and I mean steady hand
    2008-01-04 10:31 AM
    omfg, u guy's piss me off, I said I would RESTORE it, and the speaker starts to make unwanted noises while playing music.
    also, the scratch/cut through the screen wasn't even my fault. I was walking and some dude basically knocked it out of my hand into the street... As well, the camera which used to have good quality, will blur images even with a steady, and I mean steady hand
    Uh dude with an attitude like that no wonder your Girlfriend broke up with you. If you read his post he did answer your question

....Like the Man said, whether its your fault or not I don't know any company that will give you a replacement based on the problems with your iPhone...You have a better chance on your ex coming back to you...Sorry to add that last comment...

Anyway, Your iPhone will be categorized as wear and tear damage and thus will not be covered under warranty. You have two choices...

1. Buy a NEW / Used phone
    2. You can buy the replacement parts from http://www.ifixit.com/Products/iPhone/105 and replace the damaged hardware yourself (not easy to do if inexperienced)

Good Luck though!
    Last edited by Sony311; 2008-01-04 at 12:08 PM.
    1.1.2FW w/ 4.02.13_G Baseband. Rock Solid!
    2008-01-04 12:04 PM
    the easiest thing to do is to drop it in water for 2-3 seconds. try to dry it out as much as you can, then turn it on and off continuously for a good 10 minutes. if you do not see any problems in the start up, repeat every step again until you see problems at startup. then put the phone in rice and wait for 3 days. by that time the touch screen should have a really slow response rate.

Then you can replace it.

this happened to my phone by accident (the water part), so i put it in rice and waited and the screen was really slow, like really slow. so when i get back to the states (in south africa atm) apple can replace it b/c of a faulty system. don't tell them about the water. just tell them it suddenly stopped responding =)...fool proof

would appriciate comments about anything i said

thanks and hope it works for you
    If my post is helpful, give it a ThAnKs!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    iPod mini 4g
    iPod Video 30g (not anymore, I will miss you =[)
    Jailbroken iPhone 7.32g
    2008-01-04 01:01 PM
    the easiest thing to do is to drop it in water for 2-3 seconds. try to dry it out as much as you can, then turn it on and off continuously for a good 10 minutes. if you do not see any problems in the start up, repeat every step again until you see problems at startup. then put the phone in rice and wait for 3 days. by that time the touch screen should have a really slow response rate.

Then you can replace it.

this happened to my phone by accident (the water part), so i put it in rice and waited and the screen was really slow, like really slow. so when i get back to the states (in south africa atm) apple can replace it b/c of a faulty system. don't tell them about the water. just tell them it suddenly stopped responding =)...fool proof

would appriciate comments about anything i said

thanks and hope it works for you

But I think you are missing his post..Cause he also mentions:

1. DENTED speaker
    2. Cracked/Scratched LCD

There's no Way apple is gonna say "Oh yeah it happens to it all the time, sure we'll replace your Wear and tear item" - NOT...
    1.1.2FW w/ 4.02.13_G Baseband. Rock Solid!
    2008-01-05 03:45 AM
    sorry dude look like you're outta luck... sorry bout the gf too >.< that really blows.

what a ho to dump you on new years...
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.
    2008-01-05 05:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD