Hopefully you guys can help me out. After having a play around with the new Iopd Touch i have decided to buy the Iphone.Im in the UK.Now i have 2 contracts with O2- one is 30/month which i use, the other a 35/month contract the wife uses.The 35 contract is ready to be renewed but the 30/month isnt.My wife uses the contract up for renewal but both are in my name and contracted to me.

Can i go an get the 35/ month contract renewed to get the Iphone, get it set up/activated but instead of using my wifes sim/phone number, could i add my sim/phone number and just use the phone for myself ( wife is happy with her current phone ).

2nd question-I see that firmware 1.1.3 is due shortly--if doing the above could i still upgrade ( phone will be bought at 1.1.2 )through Itunes?

Do i need to jailbreak the phone to get the apps to run the GBAgames, ringtones, pictures etc or can these be added without the jailbreak etc.It would be better as i an keep my UK warranty in tact etc....
    2008-01-04 10:07 PM
    Officially, you can only buy the iphone at full price, and get an o2 iphone contract.

Your comments are a bit confusing, so I'll just say that you can buy an iphone at 269, jailbreak and activate it and use any o2 sim card in it, either from your current contract, or from a cheaper contract. You need to pay the 269, no matter what.

No one is sure about 1.1.3 until it is released, and yes, you will have to jailbreak it to get 3rd party apps on it
    To live, you have to lie
    2008-01-04 10:45 PM
    I think during the activation process you can transfer any O2 number to the new contract, so in your case this would be good. Check for more details though before jumping

BB
    2008-01-04 10:54 PM
    Sorry if this has got confusing. I will try and clear it up.

Buying
    I WILL be buying the phone for 269 through O2
    It will be on a contract in my name but on a phone number my wife uses.

When i get home
    Can i activate the Iphone in MY number and not the wifes number?
    If so does this invalidate my warranty?

If i install the jailbreakme part so that i can get 3rd party apps--will this invalidate the warranty and can it be taken back to they way i bought it if i need to claim the warranty?

Do i have to use the Anysim section or will MY OWN SIM just pop in and be used ( seeing as its an O2 sim on a 30/month contract ).Or use something like a StealthSim?
    2008-01-05 12:12 AM
    You only buy the phone in the shop, you don't agree to any contract until you get home and activate through itunes. You need not do anything instore except pay for the phone.

Once home, you can activate and arrange to transfer your existing number to the o2 iphone contract, assuming you are going to be using the iphone contract? Why you would want to , I don't know, as your current contracts will no doubt be much more favourable.

You only have to jailbreak your phone, and activate it, no need for Anysim as you are still using o2, Though Anysim wouldn't work anyway for 1.1.2

MY ADVICE - Contact o2 to extend your wifes contract, try get a better deal, or even a free upgrade. The buy an iphone, and sell the free phone if your wife doesn't want it. Keep your 2 contracts going as normal, don't sign up for an iphone contract. Jailbreak and activate your iphone and use any o2 sim
    Last edited by redcard; 2008-01-05 at 12:46 AM.
    To live, you have to lie
    2008-01-05 12:31 AM
    Thanks very much for your replys so far folks--it has help quite a bit.

So i only buy the phone at the shop, do i not sign up to the 18 month contract like i had did each time before when getting a phone?

If i transfer my number to the Iphone contract then can i just transfer my wifes number to my own 30/month contract?

How easily is this done( transferring numbers to different contracts )--is it a complicated process?

If im not agreeing to the 18 month contract in the shop then can i just activate the phone and use my own Sim without the Iphone contract?If so how is this done ( im assuming its ok to do as some of the phones in ebay are still wrapped and not activated when they are sold ). Is it just a matter of downgrading to 1.1.1 and then jailbreaking the phone, put my original O2 Sim in and away i go...

If not using the Iphone contract do you get billed for WiFi use or just Edge use? ( i have wifi at home )

Sorry for all the " Newbie " type questions
    2008-01-05 12:51 AM
    Nothing about the contract need be talked about instore. If they ask you if you plan on unlocking, just look dumb.

You don't have to transfer any numbers!

You just pop your wife's (or yours) simcard into the iphone once you have fake-activated and jailbroke it. The sim that came with the iphone, just put it in the bin.

As I said, stick with your current contracts, as you only get 200 minutes and 200 texts on the iphone contracts. I'm guessing you probably get about 1000 of each on your current contract.

With EDGE / GRPS, o2 do unlimited usage for 7.50 per month, so you can just buy this as an add-on to your current contract if you don not have any data plan. You will not get billed for WIFI
    Last edited by redcard; 2008-01-05 at 01:00 AM.
    To live, you have to lie
    2008-01-05 12:57 AM
    Red Card you have been extremely helpful-many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

One last question and i wont take up any more of your time-

What do you mean by " Fake Activating "

Im assuming when i plug the phone in it should go to itunes and then some sort of activating type screen which would lock me into an 18 month contract. Then how do i get around this?
    2008-01-05 01:11 AM
    Yeah, if you want the o2 iphone contract then you activate in itunes, if dont want the o2 contract, then you need to do this - http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15849 , and you can fool your phone into thinking it has been activated. It's pretty straightforward
    To live, you have to lie
    2008-01-05 01:24 AM
    Thanks-much happier and clearer now.
    2008-01-05 01:50 AM
    It's relatively simple. Just get the software you need beforehand, save it on your desktop, send the wife down the shops for a bit, and spend 30mins getting the iphone sorted
    To live, you have to lie
    2008-01-05 01:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD