iPhone 3G: Get more power from your battery!

Here are a few simple ways to conserve the battery on your iPhone 3G and not limit it's functionality, after all, it's meant to be used. Many people around the net are complaining about the battery life yet they don't seem to understand any common sense to saving power. It's a lithium ion battery, it will get better after a few charges!

1. Turn off 3G at home if you have WIFI access.
    2. Turn off WIFI when not at home and use 3G or EDGE
    (1 & 2 Shown Below)

3. Turn off Location Services (Settings - General) [This will automatically turn on again when going in Google Maps and use Locate Me]

4. Turn Push Off (Settings - Fetch New Data) and set Fetch to whichever desired time.

By following these simple steps you will drastically improve your battery life! Numbers 3 & 4 being the most important.

Sure it's a pain at first, but I've only started doing this yesterday and this being my 3rd day with the iPhone 3G I'm already used to switching off and on.

If you have any more tips, please share so that I can add to this guide.

Corey
    iPhone 3G User
    2008-07-19 01:13 AM
    Someone should make a profiler app that schedules these changes via time,etc....

Lots of other phones have this functionality it would be a good idea for iPhone too.
    2008-07-19 02:28 AM
    Bah, I just carry a sync cord in my wallet. There's always a USB outlet somewhere. Computer at work, car charger in the truck, computer at home, wall charger in the bedroom, battery pack in the truck to grab while out and about, etc.

J/k. Great informative post!
    2008-07-19 05:42 AM
    Actually, I've found that the best way to get better battery life is by:

1) Quitting any program I am using
    2) Turning off the iPhone
    3) Using the handy little SIM removal tool to get the SIM Card out of the phone (be very careful not to damage it!)
    4) Again, being extremely careful not to damage the SIM card, placing it in my 1 year old iPhone.

Viola! Guaranteed +2 hours of battery life just like that...

(Sorry about the harshly satirical nature of my post, but if you're disabling all the features that distinguish the iPhone 3G from the original iPhone, whats the point?)
    -granted, I'm on a college campus covered by wifi so I don't ever really need 3G...
    2008-07-19 07:59 AM
    Well it's only disabling the features as you go along. Would you rather have about a days worth of battery life or more like 3 days?

Turning off the iPhone is just not an option!
    2008-07-19 06:45 PM
    battery life problems are mostly user related problems- i have the same complaints with all my users on all the equipment i manage( army commo equipment).

Im still over 40% power and i have over 30 hours of standby time and almost 5 hours of good average daily use. my bluetooth is never on- dont have anything bluetooth, my wifi only goes on when i use it, and 3g stays on all the time when there is 3g service. my phone is on 24/7

1. CHARGE FULLY and let it drain COMPLETELY (let the device turn off/die on it own.) Lithium Ion (li-ion) batteries packs do not have a memory effect, NiCd batteries do- alot of Li-ion have circuitry that controls the charge.

2. This calibrates the iphone's battery meter, as well as being part of good preventive maintainance for the battery.

3. Wifi, Bluetooth off when not in use.

4. Screen set dim as comfortable, mine is about 40% and auto.
    Attached Thumbnails [Guide] iPhone 3G: Maximize your battery power!-img_0001.png  
    2008-07-20 02:00 AM
    So far it's lasted more than 50% longer than last full charge, and I'm letting it die down until it turns itself off. In a week or so, the battery life will be the same if not better than my 2G iPhone. (Which would last up to 4 days)
    My Mac:  iMac 21.6" 2.5GHz Quad-Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB, AMD 512MB Video (10.6.6)

iOS Devices: iPhone 4 32GB (4.3.2 JB) | iPad 2 16GB (4.3.2) | Apple TV 2G (4.3 JB)

MobileMe User
    2008-07-20 08:13 PM
    So far it's lasted more than 50% longer than last full charge, and I'm letting it die down until it turns itself off. In a week or so, the battery life will be the same if not better than my 2G iPhone. (Which would last up to 4 days)
    So far so good after doing this! Right now it's actually better than my 1st gen iPhone!
    Attached Thumbnails [Guide] iPhone 3G: Maximize your battery power!-photo.jpg  
    My Mac:  iMac 21.6" 2.5GHz Quad-Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB, AMD 512MB Video (10.6.6)

iOS Devices: iPhone 4 32GB (4.3.2 JB) | iPad 2 16GB (4.3.2) | Apple TV 2G (4.3 JB)

MobileMe User
    2008-07-22 05:37 PM
    Good post guys. Thanks for the tips
    lalp
    Iphone 4G fan!
    2008-07-30 12:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD