Well I am not a very technical guy, but I have managed to jail break my iphone (3gs) and add a ton of programs. I have just gotten through changing all my sounds using winscp (unlock, keyboard etc etc.), so I guess I am not a complete idiot.

At one point early on I tried to update to the new firmware. I knew it was risky and of course it ruined everything (hopefully this will help at least one person that has used google search to try to find some answers)

Anyway, at that point it was easy to get back to where I was in the process. I now have over 250 apps and have all my settings where I like them and would like to have a safe backup. Since itunes has made it impossible to save multiple backups, or to even find where the backups are located, I am a little annoyed that I do not have a backup I can count on.

Well, what I have done is to copy the entire root file. If something gets messed up, do you think copying this back onto the iphone will immediately get me back to where I am when I make the backup?

I hope one of you more technical types here can confirm if this will work or if I should do something else.
    2009-09-12 05:39 AM
    That's a very good question!
    2009-09-12 02:10 PM
    .... Well, what I have done is to copy the entire root file. If something gets messed up, do you think copying this back onto the iphone will immediately get me back to where I am when I make the backup?
    One would think so ...... but in my non-expert opinion - no.

Why, because with our current utilities I don't believe it is possible to fully back-up the complete current state or restore to that complete current state.

As an example: external ports like the USB may look like files in the /dev directory, but they are really inodes. They can not be restored with a copy command. A special command is used to create them. I also believe some system files (ie SpringBoard) can not be replace while in-use. If it's running (IE: WinSCP) it can't be overwritten. Hense Apples low-level DFU mode operation.

What I think is necessary to accomplish your goal is something like an IMAGE backup/restore probably performed in DFU or Restore mode. It doesn't exist today, and probably never will. But this would do the trick for sure

But don't despair. Having a full root backup is good. I do it! It helps when I accidentally overwrite or delete something while messing around
    2009-09-12 02:37 PM
    Have any of you done a full restore, and restored the backup manually using these files rather then using the restore backup feature in iTunes?
    2009-09-12 10:09 PM
    Well what I tried does not work after all. It just slows down at the end until it stops and never makes the entire copy.

I would think someone would know how to make a reliable backup. HELP!
    2009-09-13 08:08 PM
    Well I guess I will try bumping this one time. I would think someone here would know how to make a reliable backup. HELP!
    2009-09-16 03:14 AM
    Anyone?
    2009-10-10 02:46 AM
    nope... cant be done for the reasons stated above... you have zero access to the device when springboard is not running... no wifi, no ssh, no nothing... and you cant overwrite something while it is running... apple does this through DFU mode but i dont think anyone has attempted to do the same.. its really not worth the effort imo..

Having a full copy of root is very useful.. it provides you with everything you need to restore your phone manually.. its just not the lazy mans way.. lol
    2009-12-12 02:18 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD