Hi,

I am going to buy an o2 iPhone in the UK in a couple of days. I have heard lots of stuff about apps etc but am confused an have a couple of questions.

1) What exactly is jailbreak and how reliable is it?
    2) What is the difference between web apps and native apps
    3) What are the pros and cons of modding the iPhone

4) What suggestions would you make to a first time user of an iPhone? (Should I use jailbreak/mod the phone/install certain apps....)
    5) Are there going to be any price changes or new releases in the next month which are worth waiting for before purchasing?

Look forward to posting more in the forums

Thanks

Guy
    2008-01-12 06:48 PM
    1.Jailbreaking is required to use 3rd party apps on your iPhone.
    2.You need Safari to launch web apps. They need some sort of wireless connection. They are in the form of sites launched by Safari. Native apps are installed on your iPhone, and do not require a wireless connection like Wi-Fi, EDGE, etc. Think of it as online apps, and installed apps.
    3.Some of the features missing in the iPhone (multiple SMS, business card, MMS, etc.) are taken care of by third party apps. Modding your iPhone gives good results, but do it at your own risk.
    4.Go through the guides here. IMO, get iDemocracy. Its the most user-friendly software for the iPhone. Google it to get the download link.
    5.I strongly suggest you do not buy the iPhone now if you don't have an O2 connection. The iPhones in the market now are OTB 1.1.2 and cannot be unlocked for any other SIM.
    2008-01-12 07:17 PM
    but if you can use a o2 pay and go sim in the phone if your not wanting too take out the 18 month contract they offer.
    2008-01-12 07:30 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies aahandagr8.

I googled idemocracy and found the page. Looks like a really useful piece of software.

As far as O2 goes... I am currently with O2 at the moment and my contract is about to finish, so I don't mind taking out a new 18 month contract. What I meant by my question was, are there any predicted new releases or price drops for the iphone, in which case I would be prepared to wait a few weeks.

Finally, how reliable is idemocracy and modding in general? I am very computer apt, but don't want to save up for an iphone only to screw it up and void the warentee ...
    Last edited by mrwooster; 2008-01-12 at 08:07 PM.
    2008-01-12 07:41 PM
    There's an apple convention this January 15th. Apple usually introduce new products on this ocasion so you might wanna wait a few more days.
    There's blood in my alcohol system.
    2008-01-12 09:13 PM
    And also 1.1.3 is also gonna be released soon, but I guess if you have an O2 sim, you can always upgrade it later.
    2008-01-13 05:53 AM
    Good point, will wait for the apple convention.

aahandagr8, what do you mean? Can you not upgrade without an o2 sim?

And also, what does OTB mean? I see a lot of posts with 1.1.1 OTB or 1.1.2 OTB...

Thanks for all the help so far.
    2008-01-13 01:21 PM
    Otb stands for "out of the box" so when people say 1.1.2 otb they mean they brought the iphone wih that firmware on
    2008-01-13 02:10 PM
    Good point, will wait for the apple convention.

aahandagr8, what do you mean? Can you not upgrade without an o2 sim?

And also, what does OTB mean? I see a lot of posts with 1.1.1 OTB or 1.1.2 OTB...

Thanks for all the help so far.
    People who do not use AT&T or O2 have to unlock their iPhones to make it work with other carriers. When someone upgrades their unlocked iPhone, it gets locked again.

However, since you're using O2, you will not face any such problems. You will be able to upgrade without any worries.

Deck has already explained what OTB stands for. The iPhones currently available in the market are OTB 1.1.2, and they cannot be unlocked to use with any other SIM, but since you're using O2, you can buy an OTB 1.1.2 with your O2 contract.

Are there going to be any price changes or new releases in the next month which are worth waiting for before purchasing?
    Well, I cannot comment on that, but because the current iPhones cannot be unlocked, the number of customers has reduced, but I don't think its reduced that much to cause a drop in the price. People are willingly switching to AT&T and O2 just so that they can use the iPhone.
    Last edited by aahandagr8; 2008-01-13 at 03:12 PM.
    2008-01-13 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD