My friend is willing to sell me an iphone for 200 bucks with a broken screen (only the glass is broken, touch and LCD works fine). I am ready to jump at this deal because its an unlocked 1.0.2 and I have tested it, no other damage whatsoever other than the screen. Touch works fine, 8 gigs of data, apps, the whole bit. I know that I can change the screen and I have seen the tutorials for this. What I am wanting to know is others experiences with this.

PLEASE ONLY ANSWER IF YOU HAVE CHANGED OUT THE SCREEN BEFORE:
    1. How hard is it to open without "special tools" and without scratching up the case at all?
    2. Can I JUST replace the glass or do I need to do glass/touchscreen/lcd (pretty sure the answer is just glass but still). If YES how hard is is to sepparate glass from the rest of the screen without damaging touch screen components?
    3. What is the BEST site to buy a quality (hoping OEM but doesn't have to be as long as its good) glass screen?

Thanks for all your help in advance!
    2008-01-18 06:49 AM
    ok visit my blog http://vomoco.blogspot.com/
    you will find tips how to unlock your iphone
    plus free tutorials. Don't waste your money do it yourself
    Are you just pasting this all over various posts to get hits on whatever your blogging site is? I called you on this in a post where we were talking about the $20 apps for the itouch being installed for free and you posted this EXACT message. Please don't spam posts with this message. You obviously didn't follow my request, I asked only people with experience replacing their glass screens to reply to my post!
    2008-01-18 08:18 AM
    hey i have the same problem. i was wondering if you ever found the answers?
    2008-04-15 10:34 PM
    Opening the iphone and replacing the screen is not extremely difficult, but i would not suggest attempting it unless you are real comfortable doing this sort of thing.

1. 1. How hard is it to open without "special tools" and without scratching up the case at all?

- I would not suggest trying to open the iphone without at least a set of precision screwdrivers, but some ipod opening tools are essential to avoid scratching the case.

2. Can I JUST replace the glass or do I need to do glass/touchscreen/lcd (pretty sure the answer is just glass but still). If YES how hard is is to sepparate glass from the rest of the screen without damaging touch screen components?

- Replacing just the LCD is possible but with the risk of damaging the touchscreen during the process i would suggest you just purchase a new LCD and touchscreen(digitizer) to avoid wasting your money.

3. What is the BEST site to buy a quality (hoping OEM but doesn't have to be as long as its good) glass screen?

- I bought the LCD/digitizer on ebay for about 140$ cdn, but i've noticed the prices have really gone up since then. I dont know any other sites that i can vouch for, but if it costs any more than 150$ i would suggest just selling the phone on ebay and using that money to get a new one. Broken iphones still fetch a decent price.

P.S. If you do decide to replace the screen yourself a good tutorial can be found . Hope this helps.
    2008-04-16 02:19 AM
    excellent post screwface, my iphone screen is cracked, and i just purchased a new glass screen, gonna attempt it myself, i dont have the necessary tools but i figure a few scratches is better then a crack in my screen. so im gonna have fun while i do it.
    2008-04-16 05:58 AM
    hey bart i just ordered a new glass off of valvolo.com yesturday. just wondering how your installation went?
    2008-05-13 05:00 PM
    please tell me how hard just the glass was to replace
    2008-06-09 05:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD