A relative sent me an OG (not 3G) iPhone (brand new) that is from Germany. I figured I'd just unlock it and use it over here. I've unlocked tons of iPhones (to sell and for friends) but this one is different. I've been working on this problem for 5+ hours now lol.

The phone will only display the emergeny call screen. And it will NOT get recognized with iTunes 7.5. When I try to connect it to 7.5 I get a dialog box error that says I must have iTunes 7.7 for it to be recognized.

So upon connecting it to my wife's computer (with 7.7) it recognizes it but the iPhone page of iTunes says it must have a valid SIM inserted (if no SIM is in it) or that the SIM is not valid (if an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM is installed).

I've tried rebooting it in recovery mode but it requires that I install firmware 2.0 and that won't work if I wanna unlock it. I've tried to run my unlocking program on it (in case 1.1.4 was already installed) but it wouldn't take. So I'm guessing 2.0 is already on it.

I can't get it back to 1.1.4 unless I use iTunes 7.5 but as stated above, it won't get recognized by that version and gives me the dialog box error!!! Very frustrating.

I've searched extensively with no answers. ANY help would be appreciated. I'm beginning to think I'm SOL.
    2008-08-05 02:46 AM
    Ok i will help you out . Search on youtube : how to enter dfu mode. This is a special recovery mode. You must hold power and home buton until iphone turns black after 2 seconds release the power button and w8. Itunes 7.5 will recognize an iphone in recovery mode . PS: In DFU mode the screen is black and you must have the iphone connected via usb. Now in itunes hit SHIFT + restore and select you're 1.1.4 firmware and mac... alt + shift or command i don't know because i don't have mac. After you restore 1.1.4 you must download ziphone from ZiPhone's Blog . You will still see Slide for emergency but that is ok. In ziphone 3.0 hit DO IT ALL . Now wait until it's ready could take 10 min ... In you're phone will come some numbers and line in a black screen with white text so don't be afraid. After that you will have carrier and it won't be Slide for emergency , it will be Slide to unlock. Reply if it workes plz
    2008-08-05 08:49 AM
    Nope, tried getting 7.5 to recognize it in DFU mode PREVIOUS to my post and no dice.

As soon as I connect the USB cord, iTunes opens up and gives me the dialog box error. Once its connect via USB, it WON'T go into DFU mode. When I try to get it into DFU if continues the iPhone screen continues to display the screen with the USB cord and iTunes icon. iTunes won't display that anything is connect either.

I'm gonna try the 2.0 itunes pwn method. I'll post if it works.

Nope, tried getting 7.5 to recognize it in DFU mode PREVIOUS to my post and no dice.

As soon as I connect the USB cord, iTunes opens up and gives me the dialog box error. Once its connect via USB, it WON'T go into DFU mode. When I try to get it into DFU if continues the iPhone screen continues to display the screen with the USB cord and iTunes icon. iTunes won't display that anything is connect either.

I'm gonna try the 2.0 itunes pwn method. I'll post if it works.
    The 2.0 Unlock/Jailbreak will not work either. Keep getting error 6 in the dialog box. C'mon guys, I know someone out there knows how to get this thing working.

I'll paypal $30 to the first person who helps me get this thing out of emergency call only mode!!! DEAD SERIOUS!!!!

figure it out. I had somehow been trying to use the 3G file in my ipsw. I finally noticed that it said to "be sure to connect an iPhone 3G." Soon as I got the right file in there, all went smoothly.
    Last edited by jdm.accord; 2008-08-06 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-06 03:47 AM
    is it already in the regular recovery mode when connected to the usb?
    2009-01-18 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD