Hey guys, ok I had 3 iphones that I updated to 1.1.3 for me and my friends, all three worked great........ but custom ringtones had no sound. So after a few hours of playing around, I got them to WORK FINALLY, here's how....

1)Open itunes and right click on the song you want as a ringer

2)Select 'convert to aac', let itunes convert the song

3)Once the song is converted, it shows under the original, copy the aac version to the desktop.

4)Right click on the desktop copy and rename the file from .m4a to .m4r

5)Finally use SSH to copy the .m4r version to ringtones folder, youll know its the right folder because it will list your default ringers in there as well.

6)Thats it!!!!!!! Go to general, sounds, and select your ringers!!!! They now have sound!!!!!
    2008-01-29 06:03 AM
    one thing bug me about 1.1.3 no ring tones thank you for finding a way
    2008-01-29 03:02 PM
    Awesome. Can't wait to give this a try.
    2008-01-29 04:29 PM
    i use itunes to sync ringtones on my iPhone.

the basics:
    1. drag and drop the mp3 file to itunes (it's wise to shorten the mp3 to 30 seconds. go to makeownringtone.com to cut mp3s and tweak them out)
    2. right click, convert to AAC
    3. go to your library and drag that .m4a file onto your desktop.
    4. change the extension from .m4a to .m4r.
    5. the icon should change to "ringtone"
    6. double click and itunes will recognize it and places it in the ringtone folder.
    7. sync your phone and it will be on your ringtone list under "custom".

this method works with
    1.1.2 jailbroken
    1.1.3 jailbroken (nate true method)
    and my brother tried it on his stock unmodded 1.1.3 iPhone and it worked! No more CRICKETS chirping when his phone rings.

this is so much simple for people that don't know what SSH is.
    Last edited by jvallesteros; 2008-01-30 at 01:51 AM.
    Blah Blah and Blah
    2008-01-30 01:47 AM
    anyone else having a limit to 4 custom ringtones? or was that always there? i came from 1.0.2 where i could put as many as would fit and it never was listed under custom, they were listed in all the other ringtones.
    2008-01-30 07:46 AM
    I have five custom ringtones all added with iTunes. I think the tones have to be 30 seconds or less for iTunes to add them.
    2008-01-30 12:55 PM
    awsome....works perfect!!
    2008-01-30 02:04 PM
    how do you change the extension from .m4a to .m4r and what is ssh
    2008-01-30 03:06 PM
    Just rename it, right click then hit rename then change the A to a R. SSH is from what i understand a way of looking at your iphone like another computer, you can see all the folders and usually can upload or change files with it.
    2008-01-30 04:03 PM
    i've tried both way as listed above and neither one has worked for me. what version of itunes are you using? every time i try to ssh it over to my phone the connection keeps being disconnected by the phone.
    2008-01-30 07:42 PM
    i'm using itunes 7.5.0.20

if u cant convert to aac on itunes and its giving you a different extension like mp3, go
    EDIT>PREFERENCE>ADVANCED>IMPORTING.
    Choose "AAC Encoder" on the "import using" section. then click OK.

if you cant see the extensions on windows explorer, go
    TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW.
    Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". click OK

i have over 20 custom ringtones using the "change the extenson method". all are under 30 seconds.
    Blah Blah and Blah
    2008-01-31 12:01 AM
    I did everything that was posted and when i click on rename all that it show's is the file name and not the file extention so i just add m4r to it double click and all it does is add a third entry onto my music list in itunes, i sync it and nothing. not to the ringtone list and not in my phone please tell me what am i doing wrong
    2008-01-31 12:19 AM
    see my post above yours about having the extension showing up in windows
    Blah Blah and Blah
    2008-01-31 07:27 AM
    didnt work for me. i tired it with two different files, trimmed the songs down to 30 seconds, and put them in the ringtones folder in itunes, but wen i try syncing,,itunes would say,,,the following files could not be played on this iphone!! :S anyone know whats wrong?
    2008-01-31 08:53 AM
    And for those who still have not gotten this to work here is a gauranteed fix!!! What these guys are not telling you is that the directories on your iPhone are probably still utilizing the 1.1.2 firmware if you used the special jailbreak 1.1.3. This is what I did because none of this stuff works for me. I used winSCP to gain access into my iPhone. One you have connected you need to go up 3 levels by clicking the ".." or you can just select the box that says "root" and click the down arrow to choose the "/root" directory. You will know your in the right place because you can click that ".." a few more times and you still be in the same directory because you can't go up any farther. Double click the "library" directory and then the "ringtones" directory. This is where you need to be. If you follow what these guys said to do then you should already have your .m4r extension files. If not I recommend copying the files you want to use for ringtones into a seperate folder to avoid messing up your files. Now go to the command prompt by selecting start, run, and typing cmd and hitting enter. navigate to your folder that you put your files in and type ren *.m4a *.m4r and that should change all the files extensions. The easiest way now to copy these is make sure you have your folder window open to your ringtone folder. Hit ctr + a together which highlights them all and right click and drag all them into the winscp program window into the ringtones folder. I hope this helps those who can't get this to work like I was having problems with. I know this is a crappy write up for now but I will put something together for those who still can't get this to work.
    2008-01-31 11:59 PM
    Sorry OP was using the newest version of iTunes, 7.6

Did you convert them to AAC using itunes 7.6?

And for those who still have not gotten this to work here is a gauranteed fix!!! What these guys are not telling you is that the directories on your iPhone are probably still utilizing the 1.1.2 firmware if you used the special jailbreak 1.1.3. This is what I did because none of this stuff works for me. I used winSCP to gain access into my iPhone. One you have connected you need to go up 3 levels by clicking the ".." or you can just select the box that says "root" and click the down arrow to choose the "/root" directory. You will know your in the right place because you can click that ".." a few more times and you still be in the same directory because you can't go up any farther. Double click the "library" directory and then the "ringtones" directory. This is where you need to be. If you follow what these guys said to do then you should already have your .m4r extension files. If not I recommend copying the files you want to use for ringtones into a seperate folder to avoid messing up your files. Now go to the command prompt by selecting start, run, and typing cmd and hitting enter. navigate to your folder that you put your files in and type ren *.m4a *.m4r and that should change all the files extensions. The easiest way now to copy these is make sure you have your folder window open to your ringtone folder. Hit ctr + a together which highlights them all and right click and drag all them into the winscp program window into the ringtones folder. I hope this helps those who can't get this to work like I was having problems with. I know this is a crappy write up for now but I will put something together for those who still can't get this to work.
    Correct but this is the same as my OP, just thanks for adding a little more on the iphone folder structure.
    Last edited by AccordTR; 2008-02-01 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-02-01 02:33 AM
    being on a mac, this is what i did

converted song to .30 long with itunes
    now theres 2 songs of the same name, i moved the song to my desktop, changed the name to .m4r
    went back into itunes and deleted the .m4a file
    double clicked the m4r file and it came right up into my ringtones

hope this helped the mac guys
    2008-02-02 04:08 AM
    i still like send song if only we could select which portions of the song we want that would be wicked ill probably still stick with that for now
    Acer 5050
    250 gb harddrive
    2.5 gb of ram
    2.2gz
    Mac os 10.5.2

Iphone
    2.0-pineapple
    2008-02-02 04:52 AM
    i downloaded the program and have no idea how to use it there has to be an easer was han someone please help me
    2008-02-02 06:05 AM
    I used itunes 7.5 to convert them to by importing the folder they are in. What's really weird is itunes actually converted mine to m4a's instead of aac. I then went to the command promt to change them from m4a to m4r's.
    Also sendsong doesn't use the new 1.1.3 directories. On top of that sendsong is only great if you don't have 2000 songs on your iphone too. So sendsong is out of the picture for me.
    2008-02-02 11:21 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD