Hi,

I am using a rather buggy unlocked iphone that has no wi-fi.

I am visiting the US soon and am thinking if i can get my iphone replaced by the company.

Can anyone suggest what questions to expect? should i restore my iphone to 1.0.2?

Any other tips?

Thanks
    hk
    2008-02-04 01:03 PM
    First question is: do you have an AT&T iPhone?

If so, I suggest you put your iphone in recovery mode, then restore through iTunes. If that does not put you in the latest firmware (1.1.3) plug it into iTunes again and Update it.

With a defective 1.1.3 iPhone, unlocked, if you can show them your problems with wi-fi, they'll very likely replace it.

If you don't have an AT&T plan, though, I don't know if you can safely take your phone to use apple warranty.

Since you're from outside the U.S., I reckon you don't have an AT&T iPhone, so, I guess my reply is useless.
    Last edited by pedro.frota; 2008-02-04 at 03:04 PM.
    2008-02-04 03:02 PM
    yea... dont have an AT&T card.

thanks for the reply.
    2008-02-05 09:17 AM
    I was in exactly the same position - I had a 1.0.2 OTB from New York in September, which worked fine on various firmwares until December. Got the "repair needed" message and manually reflashed the baseband which sorted it out for a week - think the comm board was actually faulty, no service and had no wi-fi or bluetooth.

I had established by looking around the net that this problem occurs on iPhones where people have only used their AT&T SIM, so thought it worth taking back to Apple to see if they would exchange it.

So I restored the phone to 1.1.1, did oktoprep, upped to 1.1.2, jailbreaked but didn't unlock. I then put the AT&T SIM that it came with into the phone. Since one of the faults was I couldn't get service, the fact the SIM wasn't activated wouldn't have been immediately obvious.

So I took it to the Apple store in Las Vegas last month, made an appointment at the Genius Bar and just stated that it I suspected a hardware fault, showed him that the IMEI was missing, no wi-fi, bluetooth etc and he just said he'd like to swap it for a new one!! He didn't even question where it had been used...the receipt (for $0.00) had even picked up my real non-US address from the email address I gave them!

To be honest, I'm certain that jailbreaking / unlocking doesn't cause this problem, so it is only fair really for Apple to swap it out.

Surprisingly, he also did some kind of half activation - the new phone was already at the springboard...however, it went to the activate screen once I connected to iTunes.

Whilst I had to lose a 1.0.2 to get a working 1.1.2, I'd rather have a phone that's not faulty...
    2008-02-05 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD