User Tag List

I've heard that Iphone has the ability to detect finger prints and can be use as a security lock for your iphone.. Is that thing real?
    Just curious about it..
    Guys I need Replies.
    2008-02-04 12:44 PM
    I havn't heard of this, can you give us a link?

I'm not sure if the sensor would be able to detect a finger print, as it would have to detect subtle details. If it were possible, it wouldn't be that secure as the data would not be encrypted, so someone could easily hack it.

Nice idea, but it would really be a novelty toy. Pretty cool though if the slide to unlock screen only accepted a certain finger, and asked for a password from everyone else.

"Please enter the password to access this device.
    If you are the owner, please try swiping again."
    2008-02-04 01:05 PM
    I've heard that Iphone has the ability to detect finger prints and can be use as a security lock for your iphone.. Is that thing real?
    Just curious about it..
    Guys I need Replies.
    Nope. The iPhone screen does not have scanning technology. So no software would be forthcoming without an accompanying hardware upgrade.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2008-02-04 02:11 PM
    Well I heard that the camera can be used as a retinal scanner to unlock your phone.

How bad *** is that. Granted I heard it from the little voices in my head...or was it the pixie on my shoulder? They are always fighting anyways.
    2008-02-04 02:15 PM
    Well I heard that the camera can be used as a retinal scanner to unlock your phone.

How bad *** is that. Granted I heard it from the little voices in my head...or was it the pixie on my shoulder? They are always fighting anyways.

Haha, retinal scanners measure the blood vessel patterns in your retina. No 2MB, non-flash camera is going to achieve that.
    2008-02-04 02:26 PM
    Maybe it's an OT but how the iPhone's touch screen works?

It's through screen's electrical capacity or IR or whatelse?

I tried searching this on google but I had non answer...

Thank you.
    2008-02-04 09:35 PM
    Maybe it's an OT but how the iPhone's touch screen works?

It's through screen's electrical capacity or IR or whatelse?

I tried searching this on google but I had non answer...

Thank you.
    The way the screen works, and indeed all multi-touch screens, is that it senses/detects (whatever you want to call it) "blotches" of infra-red; created by the finger when the screen it touched. The bigger the blotch, the harder the screen is being pressed, as determined by the sensor. It also allows the sensor to read multiple blotches at a time, thus multi-touch.

You'll also note because of this; regular styluses, finger nails, pens, etc.. are ineffective because they don't create an IR signature large enough to detect.

And because it reads blotches rather than details, this renders fingerprint recognition impossible.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-02-05 at 01:34 AM.
    2008-02-05 01:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD