I would like to update my phone to the most recent firmware (1.02), but my phone is jailbreak-ed. Before updating, I would like to double-check I have a backup.

How do I backup my SMS/txt messages before restoring the phone to factory defaults. Then, once upgraded, how do I return my SMS conversations to the iPhone.

I understand that iTunes does sync/backup the phone, but how would I restore my settings?

A quick step-by-step guide in upgrading my iPhone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
    2007-08-23 10:25 PM
    Itunes backs up all my phone numbers, sms, weather places, alarms, calendar.
    2007-08-23 10:30 PM
    Itunes backs up all my phone numbers, sms, weather places, alarms, calendar.
    I am aware that iTunes backs up the following above (except for contacts in Windows unless it syncs w/ Outlook). My question is the following, if I restore the iPhone to factory defaults in order to upgrade to 1.02, how do I restore my previous backups (specifically my SMS messages) to my newly upgraded handset.

I DO NOT want to wipe my iPhone for the upgrade and then find out I cannot restore my backed-up versions. Hell, I don't even know how to restore my back-ed up versions.

If anyone could give a detailed account on how to upgrade and then restore a backup (and how to make a backup), I would be very thankful.
    2007-08-23 10:38 PM
    /var/root/Library/SMS/sms.db
    /var/root/Library/Maps/Bookmarks.plist
    /var/root/Library/Calendar/Calendar.sqlitedb
    /var/root/Library/CallHistory/call_history.db
    /var/root/Library/Notes/notes.db
    /var/root/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist
    /var/root/Library/Voicemail/*
    /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.weather.plist
    /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.stocks.plist
    /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mobiletimer.plist

--This is if you added your own Ringtones
    /var/root/Library/Ringtones/*

--This is only if you have vRecord/vNotes installed
    /var/root/Library/Recordings/*

I may have missed some as I'm going from memory, however these are the ones I backed up and everything worked.... except SMS, I'm thinking I missed something on that one. I might have needed the SMS .plist

Don't copy your /Media/Photos as that caused me iTune sync problems later on.

-David
    2007-08-23 10:52 PM
    /var/root/Library/SMS/sms.db
    /var/root/Library/Maps/Bookmarks.plist
    /var/root/Library/Calendar/Calendar.sqlitedb
    /var/root/Library/CallHistory/call_history.db
    /var/root/Library/Notes/notes.db
    /var/root/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist
    /var/root/Library/Voicemail/*
    /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.weather.plist
    /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.stocks.plist
    /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mobiletimer.plist

--This is if you added your own Ringtones
    /var/root/Library/Ringtones/*

--This is only if you have vRecord/vNotes installed
    /var/root/Library/Recordings/*

I may have missed some as I'm going from memory, however these are the ones I backed up and everything worked.... except SMS, I'm thinking I missed something on that one. I might have needed the SMS .plist

Don't copy your /Media/Photos as that caused me iTune sync problems later on.

-David
    excellent work on this...I've begun to backup the above files. Any guesses on the needed SMS files or if anyone successfully transferred, it would be great to know.
    2007-08-23 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD