i know this might be a dumb question but can you unlock an i phone to use it with the network verizon?what networks can you unlock the i phone with?will you think they will make a 30gb i phone?thank.post back
    2007-08-24 02:56 AM
    When it's unlocked, you can use it with any carrier.

-David
    2007-08-24 03:13 AM
    i believe when its unlocked you can use it on any GSM network. (ones that use a sim card)

verizon is a CDMA network and does not use a sim card.
    therefore it will never work on verizon.
    2007-08-24 03:38 AM
    As said above, when unlocked you can use the phone with any GSM carrier (Verizon is CDMA unfortunately). BUT! there are a few things you should consider. All the phones I've seen unlocked so far did not have the ability to use visual voice mail on the other services. Visual Voicemail (which is really friggen cool) requires AT&T service. In addition I think that data doesn't work on the other carriers as well. Maybe someone will chime in if I'm wrong on that.

As far as 30GB, I don't see it happening in the next 1-2 years. Reason I say that is because all the devices that have 20+GB of storage right now use MicroDrives. The iPhone and iPod Nano use flash memory as storage for energy consumption reasons, and thus far 8GB is the highest we've seen from Apple. In fact, 8GB is unprecedented storage for a cellphone in terms of flash storage, which is why there were several articles last month claiming Apple's demand for flash memory is effecting the price of the world's flash memory.

While it's possible to mate a MicroDrive found in the larger iPods to a device like the iPhone, expect the battery to last half as long. Sor for that reason I believe Apple will stick with flash memory, and we won't see anything higher than 16GB for a year or maybe more.
    Last edited by Cheule; 2007-08-24 at 03:44 AM.
    2007-08-24 03:41 AM

-David
    Wrong. You can only use it on other GSM carriers (i.e. T-mobile, bell, fido, rogers, etc)

Verizon is CDMA so an Iphone will NOT work on the Verizon network.
    2007-08-24 03:49 AM
    based on the quick progression of SSD (solid state drives ie flash based drives) that are being used in laptops and such, i think we will see the iphone more than double in the next high end version. they will probably come out with a smaller, less feature filled version soon (think nano)...then release another full blown, 3g version of our beloved soon thereafter...in about a year...maybe a little more with ~30gb storage.

but hey...that's just my guess. i'm an optimist
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable
    2007-08-24 06:10 AM
    As said above, when unlocked you can use the phone with any GSM carrier (Verizon is CDMA unfortunately). BUT! there are a few things you should consider. All the phones I've seen unlocked so far did not have the ability to use visual voice mail on the other services. Visual Voicemail (which is really friggen cool) requires AT&T service. In addition I think that data doesn't work on the other carriers as well. Maybe someone will chime in if I'm wrong on that.

As far as 30GB, I don't see it happening in the next 1-2 years. Reason I say that is because all the devices that have 20+GB of storage right now use MicroDrives. The iPhone and iPod Nano use flash memory as storage for energy consumption reasons, and thus far 8GB is the highest we've seen from Apple. In fact, 8GB is unprecedented storage for a cellphone in terms of flash storage, which is why there were several articles last month claiming Apple's demand for flash memory is effecting the price of the world's flash memory.

While it's possible to mate a MicroDrive found in the larger iPods to a device like the iPhone, expect the battery to last half as long. Sor for that reason I believe Apple will stick with flash memory, and we won't see anything higher than 16GB for a year or maybe more.
    iphone isn't a flash drive it's a hard drive thats why there is less battery life on the 8gig then the 4gig because it uses more power
    2007-08-24 09:37 AM
    iphone isn't a flash drive it's a hard drive thats why there is less battery life on the 8gig then the 4gig because it uses more power
    have you seen the iphone disassembled ,,,where`s the hard drive ,,and where talking spinning disc,,,its flash..and i have a 4 and a 8 no diiff in batt life

Wrong. You can only use it on other GSM carriers (i.e. T-mobile, bell, fido, rogers, etc)

Verizon is CDMA so an Iphone will NOT work on the Verizon network.
    verizon doe have a sim card they use it with the blackberry 8830,,i have it (p.o.s)u can order a global vodaphone sim for verizon 70$$a month and cancel the global and keep your reg plan and i belive it should work on a full blown unlocked iphone...i will check tomorrow for sure..but i will tell you this my verzion/vodaphone sim does work with my regular at&t phone,and i do not have the global plan any more...

have you seen the iphone disassembled ,,,where`s the hard drive ,,and where talking spinning disc,,,its flash..and i have a 4 and a 8 no diiff in batt life

verizon doe have a sim card they use it with the blackberry 8830,,i have it (p.o.s)u can order a global vodaphone sim for verizon 70$$a month and cancel the global and keep your reg plan and i belive it should work on a full blown unlocked iphone...i will check tomorrow for sure..but i will tell you this my verzion/vodaphone sim does work with my regular at&t phone,and i do not have the global plan any more...
    yeah its vodafone my bad
    Last edited by jedinight; 2007-08-24 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-08-24 11:04 AM
    [email protected]
    2007-08-24 04:06 PM
    Ok you guys got me on that one. Let me rephrase. You can use it on any carrier network..... within reason. i.e. one that supports the same radio network that the iPhone uses. Obviously you can't connect to sprint or verizon.

I jumped the gun and gave an inaccurate post. Time to shackle myself to the wall and as for 5 whippings.

-David
    2007-08-24 04:21 PM
    It's been 3 months since the last posting. Has there been any updated hacking technique, maybe at hardware level, to make iphone work on Verizon?
    2007-11-15 09:49 AM
    Nope. You should just buy a new sim card and use that, port your number from verizon if you an to keep it
    2007-11-15 10:51 AM

-David
    way to be an idiot David....it won't work cuz verizon is not GMS
    2007-11-15 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD