Right? I bought it on Sept. 13/07 and the receipt says I'm covered for warranty until the 13th of 2008.

But, I have jailbroken and upgraded it to 1.1.4

The problems with the phone are:

-bad cosmetic condition (screen is fine but lots of dings)
    -slide to unlock doesn't work unless top button is pressed twice to refresh
    -ringer doesn't work

I crossed the border from Vancouver to Seattle and bought the phone from there.

What do I need to do in order for Apple to honor my warranty?
    Any help is MUCH appreciated, otherwise this phone is almost useless because the vibe doesn't get my attention much of the time.
    2008-09-03 06:54 AM
    If your using AT&T, just restore it so its not jailbroken and take it in. The only thing they may give you crap about is it being "beat up", they may say this is why its not working, then your screwed.

If your not using AT&T....your screwed, you have no warranty.
    2008-09-03 07:01 AM
    Also i think when you wanna get a replacement phone (I think dont take my word for it) you have to go to the store you bought it from this is assuming you bought it from apple if not then at&t should replace it from any location.
    2008-09-03 08:04 AM
    nah, doesn't matter where you bought it from.
    2008-09-03 09:09 AM
    Just restore, make sure your on AT&T though.
    Oh custom boot logos probably won't be a good idea
    2008-09-03 05:59 PM
    The thing is, I bought it without a contract from the Apple store, so the whole not being on AT&T thing shouldn't be a big deal. I could just throw in an unactivated AT&T sim and have it restored to factory settings.

And the slider not working is a software issue, not physical damage issue.
    2008-09-04 01:42 AM
    restore , cross the border again , go to apple store and get yourself a new phone
    2008-09-04 04:09 AM
    The thing is, I bought it without a contract from the Apple store, so the whole not being on AT&T thing shouldn't be a big deal. I could just throw in an unactivated AT&T sim and have it restored to factory settings.

And the slider not working is a software issue, not physical damage issue.
    They can/will check the activation status, you MUST be activated using AT&T. Otherwise no go.

This is because anyone else using an unlocked iphone can just throw in an AT&T simcard for return, they have already thought of that.
    2008-09-04 04:54 AM
    Plus if it was a software issue then everything would go back to normal after a restore, which would mean no phone replacement anyways. (and your ringer not working could be because you beat the phone around too much. Again, don't expect apple to cover you.)
    2008-09-04 05:38 AM
    just do a dfu restore. Then make the appt with the genius. Tell them you keep getting the repair needed pop up. Make sure the phone is activated on AT&T. You can use someone elses sim to activate.
    2008-09-04 02:59 PM
    Can't I just say I used to be on AT&T but now I'm not? I mean I bought the phone directly from Apple, who are they to ask me about my phone service etc when all I'm doing is buying the product from them?

I am Canadian and don't know anyone on AT&T...

And just in case they DO require me to be on AT&T, can I just walk around the shopping area and ask someone from AT&T to lend me their sim for a few mins?
    2008-09-05 06:35 AM
    I plan on going to the Apple store in Seattle on Thursday, what should I say to the rep if he asks me things that have to do with AT&T?
    2008-09-09 04:06 AM
    they wont help you at all if its on another carrier
    2008-09-09 04:15 AM
    What if I buy a prepaid AT&T sim, can I activate it right away or do I need to use a computer
    2008-09-09 05:48 AM
    BRAND NEW IPHONE!!
    thanks for the help guys!
    2008-09-13 11:40 AM
    Yo kh0sa what did you say to them at the store?? What did you end up doing??
    2009-01-02 10:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD