Well, I haven't done anything modding related to my phone in a while now, and I decided I should go from 1.1.4 to 2.1.

Earlier in the day, I decided to enable the 5-icon dock via freeboard again, and then downloaded the 2.1 ipsw and upgraded with the 5-icon dock still intact and tons of stuff hidden.

Now, I just have the spinning wheel of death when I turn my phone on and can't seem to find a solution... (I tried to search, by the way).

Anyway, I'll explain more if anyone wants; I have to run now, but I'll check back in a little while.

Thanks!
    2008-09-22 10:52 PM
    Put the phone into recovery mode and reinstall 2.1.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kguaW0doMWM]YouTube - iPod Touch/iPhone Recovery Mode[/ame]
    2008-09-22 10:54 PM
    ^Sorry, should have mentioned that, too... It's been done, G.

I'll give 'er another try, though. Thanks...
    2008-09-23 12:13 AM
    If you did it would have put a new FW on there, you just restored from backup. That's not going to help at all.
    2008-09-23 12:37 AM
    ^?

I did the shift+click restore and redid it to 2.1 a couple of times, with nothing. I can get it to boot, but all my info is gone, then when I try to restore it from the backup, it won't boot.

I already used quickpwn and SSHed in to delete the com.apple.springboard plist because I saw somewhere that would work, but it did not.

This is not legit. Any further help would be totally great... :/

Okay, I rejailbroke and have both Cydia and Installer again... If anyone knows another plist I could delete that may work, please help me out.

If anyone has an idea, can you at least reply in here or hit me up on AIM for a moment?

Thanks a ton.
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 2008-09-23 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-09-23 02:14 AM
    you shouldn't restore from a back up. if you want the 5 icon dock, just download it from cydia. i believe the one in there is compatible with 2.1
    2008-09-23 02:32 AM
    Really?! I think that's what I need to fix my problem.

If I don't restore from a backup, how do I get my stuff back?
    2008-09-23 02:56 AM
    as in contacts, calendar, photos, etc? if you didn't sync it with outlook or whatever pc program itunes is compatible with, i dont think you can get them back without a back up but obviously your previously jailbroken backup is not working...

i don't think you can extract the back up. sorry
    2008-09-23 02:58 AM
    EDIT: Crap. (Good thing no mods noticed this when it was originally posted )... I have to make this work.
    I did at least make a copy of the .db of my address book before I updated, though.

If I set it up as a new phone, would my backup still be available later?

What if I used a different phone? Or is it the backup is completely corrupt?
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 2008-11-25 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-09-23 03:26 AM
    How To Restore Your 2.1 Backup Explains a few issues with trying to restore to a backup and one about the 5-icon dock.
    iPhone 4 32GB JB & Unlocked w/ T-Mobile
    2008-09-23 04:21 AM
    ^Already looked at it and tried everything it said...

Just finished downgrading to 1.1.4, backup still won't work.

My phone is cashed. (EDIT again: ) Darn. This really sucks... I've downgraded to 1.1.4 rejailbroken, deleted the plist file that article you gave me said, nothing. I can't believe it...

I've worked on this for probably 7 hours today. (EDIT AGAIN: ) Screw me.

Thanks for linking me on Bosses page, though, by the way. I appreciate the effort.

Alright, I'm now trying to get into it via iPhonebrowser using this method: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/windows...ml#post2272391

It's not working, and I'm thinking it must have to be jailbroken again, so I'm restoring... (For about the 30,005 time in a day).

On top of all this, I just remembered that all my pictures will be gone, and I'm not even sure if I made a copy of the right address book file before. It's the .db from var/root/library/addressbook. Anyone?

JESUS CHRIST... When can I post so this won't be f'in automerged???????

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG...

I finallllllly fixed it somehow. I played around with the com.apple.springboard plists for a while, edited it, changed it back, and (EDIT: ) freaking went through about 12 restores/repwns and it somehow came back!!!!!!!

Thanks all around!!!!!

By the way, automerged postacular FTW.

Final EDIT: I'm hella glad this wasn't taken notice of before all of the edits, or I'd probably be banned about now... Good thing I just went back and did it.
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 2008-11-25 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-09-23 09:01 PM
    this was like a soap opera LOL
    2008-09-23 09:10 PM
    ^Yeah, for the time I spent working on it it should have been. There's got to be at least 5 different posts all in that one above yours.
    2008-09-23 11:51 PM
    Does the 5 dock icon work on 2.1
    2008-09-23 11:55 PM
    LOL.

Yeah. I think it was part of what helped me fix mine.

It's on Cydia under "Five Icon Dock". DON'T FORGET TO UNINSTALL BEFORE YOU RESTORE
    2008-09-24 12:02 AM
    okay... so does one actually have to UNinstall the 5 icon dock, or do you just have to move one of the icons off the dock before restoring from back-up after upgrading? [that's a big question..]

ps.
    your story reminds me of restoring my iphone from the back-up of the ipod touch that i had stolen from me... after hours and hours of restoring, re-jailbreaking, and being convinced that i had bricked a "less than 1 day old [to me]" iphone- everything magically seemed to work- thanks to this forum, searching, searching and more searching, and of course, google [aka god herself]-

thanks ALLDAY for an entertaining story...lol... glad it all worked out for you...
    2008-09-25 03:36 AM
    One of teh great mysteries of iphone modding, repeating apparently the same process and having it turn out differently!
    2008-09-25 04:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD