Is there nobody listning if yes "please let us know what is wrong with pwned 2.1 with cydia phones" where is the battery going.
    2008-10-02 04:21 PM
    I have done some recent testing simulating the exact conditions. On all the same settings (3g On, Edge ON, Push Off with manual fetching, Location services Off, Bluetooth off, Wi-Fi Scanning off, Wi-Fi connected to the network but no data activity, Brightness around 25%, Auto lock set to Never).

Target: Test battery life with doing nothing. Just plain how long does the battery last after fully charging it. Kept the screen on all the time and auto lock off.

Here are the results. These are all Usage times as Stand by is same as Usage in my test because I am not turning the screen off at all.

Virgin iPhone: 6 hours 28 Mins
    Jailbroken iPhone (Cydia, Installer, Quickgold installed): 6 hours 20 mins
    same as above + winterboard (no themes installed): 5 hours 13 mins
    same as above + bosspreffs: 4 hours 24 mins
    same as above + wallpaper changing theme (rotates 7 wallpapers): 3 hours 49 mins

There is something seriously wrong with winterboard as it slows the iphone and kills the battery. What I don't understand is how bosspreffs also contributes to battery drain. If anyone wants to replicate the same test and report back that would give us better understanding.

I will think twice now before installing winterboard.
    Last edited by itsalok4u; 2008-10-03 at 12:32 AM.
    2008-10-03 12:26 AM
    agggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! this time after i did a complete restore... everything was great.... i only installed cycoder from cydia n thats it..... everythin worked fine after that..... no battery drain what so ever....... i didnt even use cydia after that.............. yesterday just to check a few things i started cydia n it took an update for ispazio repo.......... after that once again i have started facing the same battery prob.... last night the battery was at 80 percent n now its on 10 % in less than 8 hrs.... the phone was only on standby mode n nothing else.........
    2008-10-03 12:40 PM
    I find that things often work better if you reboot after installing anything from Cydia.
    2008-10-03 11:45 PM
    Hi itsalok4u

I havent done the tests like you but your stats seem correct. I thought before I send my phone back id restore and setup as new phone. Im now running stock 2.1 with brightness at 50% with wifi on since 12pm email on, fetch hourly, its now 9.45pm and i have about 75% remaining. I have made phonecalls, texts, browsing and synced a few times. Its amazing I swear. Even my 3g signal has a slight improvement. Im gutted about all the good stuff ill miss, but its now performing the way i want and im not scared of battery running out. Oh well at least i dont have to send it back.
    2008-10-04 10:50 PM
    ok ,im gonna have to say good bye to bossprefs... all I use it for is the numeric battery anyway. of which u can turn and, uninstall bossprefs and its still there-
    2008-10-04 10:56 PM
    hi guys quick update, I turned wifi of about 11 last nite and been playing with phone and a few calls and text during the nite(went bed at 4am) my phone has just given me 20% warning that's more than 24 hours and still going. Love it!

sorry it's now 12:49pm that's more than 24hrs on a single charge and u know the last 20% takes ages to drain
    Last edited by se23; 2008-10-05 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-10-05 01:51 PM
    im so glad i am not the only one experiencing this.

i can live without winterboard i suppose, and bossprefs. it would suck, and intelliscreen, but what is the best alternative to PDAnet?

since it came out i have used it like constantly, with a proper alternative to pdanet ill be done with jailbreaking.

i just honestly cant believe how much cydia etc. affect the battery life and performance. at 1.x my phone was almost identical to stock firmware performance and battery wise.

the update of the baseband is also holding me off, as the unlock will be handy when it comes to selling the phone in the future.

so as it stands, just jailbreaking in general is affecting the performance and battery, and the 3rd party apps such as bossprefs and winterboard and making them even worse.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker
    2008-10-05 04:53 PM
    Can someone tell me how to uninstall bossprefs and wingterboard. tks
    2008-10-05 10:50 PM
    apparently you cant uninstall as you will still have battery drain. you need to restore and I set up as new iphone because when I restore from back-up i still had bits of my jailbreak in there ie makeitmine & numeric battery. I will def jailbreak when I see problems fixed tho, I miss my themes lol
    2008-10-05 11:37 PM
    apparently you cant uninstall as you will still have battery drain. you need to restore and I set up as new iphone because when I restore from back-up i still had bits of my jailbreak in there ie makeitmine & numeric battery. I will def jailbreak when I see problems fixed tho, I miss my themes lol
    if you remove the numeric battery within bossprefs FIRST , it will be gone.

and choochoo888 :
    you can uninstall them via cydia (manage) just like everything else

ALSO can someone answer me this....
    Im obviously experiencing extreme battery drain also...

I only use winterboard for Springboard mods like, signal bars, removing the dots, different battery charging pic, keeping my wallpaper on all pages, etc... I dont use a theme....

I can still get away with doing these mods without winterboard no?
    I mean they'll basically just have to be overwritten and be permanent right?

winterboard is basically just giving me the ability to pick and choose and turn them off and on at will

Correct?

Could Erica's Utilities be causeing drain?
    Last edited by Carrbone; 2008-10-06 at 01:11 AM.
    2008-10-06 12:24 AM
    Yikes, I'm also glad I'm not the only experiencing this problem. I even returned my phone to apple for a new one before I realized it is probably a jailbreak problem. I wasn't having any of these problems until jailbreaking 2.1. Hope someone figures this out at some point. I lose about 15% battery in an hour without using it.
    2008-10-06 12:45 AM
    Hi carbone,

NO as others have said uninstall by cydia wont fix the problem you have to restore. I did read b4 I posted to make sure. As far as ssh go's im sure u can overwrite the files but I wanna do proper tests with no mods and Ive been happy with the results that im not gonna mod till more peeps realise then we get a fix. I wish I could work it out myself cos I would do it.

12hrs now since full charge and quite heavy use and im only half way down. Its good

Sorry guys but Heaiser I think thats still too much. Let you battery drain down till its dead, then plug it in at night and leave it till morning, thats what i did now my battery lasts long mate!
    Last edited by se23; 2008-10-06 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-10-06 01:03 AM
    All I can say is that I havent figured out a cause, but I do suspect that it could be several things. I have found a way to manage it.

1) I make sure I reboot the iphone at least once a day.
    2.) I shut off wifi if I'm in a spotty wifi signal area or if I'm not using it.
    3) I shut off 3G if I'm in a spotty 3G area likewise with edge. The iphone uses alot of power when it continually attempts to lock onto a signal.
    4) I installed Respring app and try to remember to use it after using the ipod or playing a game.
    5) I make sure I fully close apps like Safari and Mail (by holding the home button down until the springboard appears.
    6) If I still notice battery drain, I use terminal or putty and use the ps -e command or run top to see what processes are running. Occasionally I have seen two instances of a process running or a process that has been running for a long time even if the iphone has been in sleep mode. I'll then kill that process. (kill PID where PID is the number assigned to that process as seen in ps -e or top)

By doing all of the above I rarely see my battery drain much at all.
    2008-10-06 01:39 AM
    so Ive done a restore and havent installed anything yet as far as 3rd party. Just jailbroken.
    Im going to try and install only a few apps like Cycorder, Spoof, iblacklist, and stuff like that....

as far as theme mods Im going to just change them manually and leave winterboard and bossprefs out of the picture.

Update:
    So I did a restore yesterday..
    jailbroke,
    and ended up installing everything except boss prefs....
    ( I even installed winterboard, however I dont use a theme, just tweaks)

well what do you know!

I went the whole day today(8am-), even went to the gym with pandora streaming the whole time...

The battery hasnt even flinched, Im not even down at all.
    Some how I still have full battery without even missing the first battery bar.

I went from having crazy drain on the battery to none at all!
    I couldnt even just look at my phone without it losing battery before!

Im so happy now its not even funny.
    Last edited by Carrbone; 2008-10-06 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-10-06 09:22 PM
    so Ive done a restore and havent installed anything yet as far as 3rd party. Just jailbroken.
    Im going to try and install only a few apps like Cycorder, Spoof, iblacklist, and stuff like that....

as far as theme mods Im going to just change them manually and leave winterboard and bossprefs out of the picture.

Update:
    So I did a restore yesterday..
    jailbroke,
    and ended up installing everything except boss prefs....
    ( I even installed winterboard, however I dont use a theme, just tweaks)

well what do you know!

I went the whole day today(8am-), even went to the gym with pandora streaming the whole time...

The battery hasnt even flinched, Im not even down at all.
    Some how I still have full battery without even missing the first battery bar.

I went from having crazy drain on the battery to none at all!
    I couldnt even just look at my phone without it losing battery before!

Im so happy now its not even funny.
    Hate to burst your bubble, but there's a chance that your battery meter is stuck. Restart your phone to make sure make sure that you really have that amount of battery life.
    2008-10-06 09:25 PM
    also, after my restore and jailbreak, my battery seemed fine for a day or 2, then slowly worsened to the same point again.

and when it hits that point, no amount of restarting or respringing stops the phone from losing battery.

and also, i have never really had the battery hanging issue until the last couple days where it says 100 for over an hour when im playing music, after a reboot it drops down to around 50/60
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker
    2008-10-06 10:03 PM
    Hate to burst your bubble, but there's a chance that your battery meter is stuck. Restart your phone to make sure make sure that you really have that amount of battery life.
    I hate to burst your bubble kiddo but I restart the springboard all the time

its been 8 hours of use I an went down 1 bar-
    2008-10-06 10:47 PM
    Alright, I'm going to restore right now and start by only installing app backup and categories (and all of my app store apps). I'm leaving out BossPrefs and Winterboard for sure. Just to see if there is any change.
    2008-10-09 05:27 AM
    I hate to burst your bubble kiddo but I restart the springboard all the time

its been 8 hours of use I an went down 1 bar-
    8 hours of USE?!!? Or 8 hours of standby? cause if you get 8 hours of use, you must be either only listening to music or have the most amazing battery compared to all other iphones.
    2008-10-09 07:35 AM
94 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD