User Tag List

how could anyone use their phone for 8 hours straight?
    unless I was on some kind of flight or train ride, I dont see how I myself could use it for that long-

Stop being childish and use some common sense.

8 hours of a Normal Day's Use-

meaning the phone wasnt being charged for an 8 hour period in which I made phone calls, sms, browse the web, checked the time, etc..

some of it was in standby obviously-

Please dont direct your comments in my direction unless you have formulated some kind of half way educated response.

and as far as an update on my battery; Since Ive deleted bossprefs and done a full wipe and restore, I have been pretty consistant with the drain.
    The phone as become functional and not tied to the charger.
    However I feel that a firmware upgrade is going to be an asset to this situation.
    Last edited by Carrbone; 2008-10-09 at 07:09 AM.
    2008-10-09 07:02 AM
    hey guys, I'm the same as carrbone, I'm still running stock 2.1 but I hardly use my charger and I'm a heavy user. I really miss my themes but now I really happy
    2008-10-09 12:24 PM
    how could anyone use their phone for 8 hours straight?
    unless I was on some kind of flight or train ride, I dont see how I myself could use it for that long-

Stop being childish and use some common sense.

8 hours of a Normal Day's Use-

meaning the phone wasnt being charged for an 8 hour period in which I made phone calls, sms, browse the web, checked the time, etc..

some of it was in standby obviously-

Please dont direct your comments in my direction unless you have formulated some kind of half way educated response.

and as far as an update on my battery; Since Ive deleted bossprefs and done a full wipe and restore, I have been pretty consistant with the drain.
    The phone as become functional and not tied to the charger.
    However I feel that a firmware upgrade is going to be an asset to this situation.
    First of all, I wasn't even trying to patronize you, simply saying that a lot of people have had battery meter getting stuck.

Second of all, your post clearly said 8 hours of USE, not 8 hours of normal day use. There's a reason why there's a standby and a usage counter in the settings. And if you haven't figured out, standby time includes usage time, which means standby time indicates how much time the phone has been off the charger since the last charge.

Third of all, let's assume you did mean standby. No where in your posts did you mention the time you charged you took the phone off your charger, so there's no way for me or anyone to know the time frame you're talking about. I could have inferred from your posts and time stamps, but even then it doesn't add up to 8 hours. You said you went a whole day, starting at 8AM in your first post. And in your post that said it's been 8 hours of use, it was right before 2PM according to the timestamp. Last time I checked, that's only 6 hours. So unless you took your phone off the charger before 8, there's no way you could have had 8 hours of standby. And since again, you didn't mention when you took your phone off the charger, there's no way for anyone to know.

Maybe you shouldn't run your mouth like that next time. Thanks
    2008-10-09 06:03 PM
    enough e-thugs, dont kill the thread.

just an update: im still running jailbroken 2.1 and my phone is almost permanently connected to a charger.

apple introduce new power saving things in 2.1, could these new power saving features conflict with jailbreaking apps? causing the drain?

at 2.0.2 and before i dont remember the battery being as bad so...
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker
    2008-10-09 06:30 PM
    enough e-thugs, dont kill the thread.

just an update: im still running jailbroken 2.1 and my phone is almost permanently connected to a charger.

apple introduce new power saving things in 2.1, could these new power saving features conflict with jailbreaking apps? causing the drain?

at 2.0.2 and before i dont remember the battery being as bad so...
    I'm just defending my case.

Anyways, I think 2.0.2 was better on batter life than 2.1 too. After updating to 2.1, with the same settings, I was barely getting 4 hours of usage with mostly music and texting (80-90%), and maybe 20 hours of standby. With 2.0.2, I was getting closer to 5 hours of usage, but with more browsing instead of music.

Recently my battery life has been better though, but I turned off location services. I'm getting around 4.5 hours of usage, close to 5 with at least a full day of standby. The other day I had 4 hours of usage and 2 days of standby. Most of my usage was from texting and browsing through wifi, although 3G was on the entire time. I would say 30 min of it was calling and 30 min was music. I think turning off location services really helps. I never bothered before because I figured I don't really use apps that use location service too often. Try it though and tell me how it goes.
    2008-10-09 06:43 PM
    Through experience, I've noticed that charging the phone via USB (computer) doesn't charge the phone. Its like its charging... then charged... then dead. I think it has something to do with the computers power output levels through the USB port.
    2008-10-09 07:16 PM
    Through experience, I've noticed that charging the phone via USB (computer) doesn't charge the phone. Its like its charging... then charged... then dead. I think it has something to do with the computers power output levels through the USB port.
    Maybe you have a bad USB port? Did you try any other ones? I've always charged my phone through USB, and same with my friend. We've never had a problem in terms of it not charging.
    2008-10-09 07:19 PM
    im pretty sure you have something there. when your phone dies, if you plug it into mains charger it comes on instantly, whereas, if you plug it into the usb chrger on your computer it takes 5 minutes.

and ive lost my mains charger

Suck it up, Sucker
    2008-10-09 07:25 PM
    Well, after starting over without installing boss prefs I can honestly say I saw little difference. It has been about 12 hours since the last charge, though almost all of it has been on standby and it's nearing the 20% mark. I guess this is probably normal. How many hours of standby is the battery rated for?
    2008-10-10 02:20 AM
    i have a guess/theory that the jailbreaking process replaces some newer updated files with older ones that are jailbreak compatible. i think in this process the phone gets slightly downgraded in certain places, and doesnt run as efficient as possible.
    2008-10-10 08:52 AM
    Looking into the cydia package. There is obviously many many many items that are installed with cydia, especially after the essential updates. Could cydia itself be the cause for battery drain on the jailbroken phones. I'd like someone to use pwnage and jailbreak but just leave cydia unchecked so it doesnt install and see if life improves. I'm going to try and do this later on tonight
    2008-10-10 06:39 PM
    Well, after starting over without installing boss prefs I can honestly say I saw little difference. It has been about 12 hours since the last charge, though almost all of it has been on standby and it's nearing the 20% mark. I guess this is probably normal. How many hours of standby is the battery rated for?
    That's not normal at all. Rated standby time is like 300 hours, granted it's not actually going to be that long but 12 hours of mostly standby and its almost at the 20% mark is really bad. You should just take your phone back if you can. My phone gets at least a day of standby and 4 to 5 hours of usage before nearing the 20% mark. That's consider maybe average or a little above average. There's definitely something wrong with yours.
    2008-10-10 07:09 PM
    ye exactly, but for me, its only been since 2.1 and my battery is fine if i dont install anything. so its cydia/third party software related.....

pdanet is the only thing keeping me jailbroken right now....

Suck it up, Sucker
    2008-10-10 07:33 PM
    That's not normal at all. Rated standby time is like 300 hours, granted it's not actually going to be that long but 12 hours of mostly standby and its almost at the 20% mark is really bad. You should just take your phone back if you can. My phone gets at least a day of standby and 4 to 5 hours of usage before nearing the 20% mark. That's consider maybe average or a little above average. There's definitely something wrong with yours.
    So, quick update... I thought it was in standby but when I looked at the usage standby and usage were almost the same. I turned off push (for my exchange account) and location services and today the difference is night and day. And my usage is now appearing accurately. Not sure which one was the culprit but I'm going to guess location services because I've never tried turning it off before. But it looks like my battery life issue may be resolved (knock on wood).
    2008-10-10 08:50 PM
    So, quick update... I thought it was in standby but when I looked at the usage standby and usage were almost the same. I turned off push (for my exchange account) and location services and today the difference is night and day. And my usage is now appearing accurately. Not sure which one was the culprit but I'm going to guess location services because I've never tried turning it off before. But it looks like my battery life issue may be resolved (knock on wood).
    I would think it's a combination of both. I know A LOT of people are having problems with push and totally unreasonable battery life. But at the same time, turning off location services makes a huge difference, at least it did for me. i never bothered to turn it off before until recently because I figured I hardly ever use any apps that ask to use location services. Last week, I turned it off just for the hell of it, and my battery life got a lot better. Before, when it was on, I could barely get 4 hours of usage with mostly music and text, and my standby time was usually around 20 hours. Since turning it off, my times are much better! I never thought location services would matter that much.
    2008-10-10 09:27 PM
    My battery is always at 100% when I go to bed. When I get up in the morning, it's usually still at 100% or 99%. When I installed backgrounder, I noted when I woke up in the morning, my battery was usually at around 85%. This went on for three days, when I removed it, I was back to 100% again.
    2008-10-10 09:29 PM
    My battery is always at 100% when I go to bed. When I get up in the morning, it's usually still at 100% or 99%. When I installed backgrounder, I noted when I woke up in the morning, my battery was usually at around 85%. This went on for three days, when I removed it, I was back to 100% again.
    I think that's definitely expected and the downfall of Backgrounder. I love the idea of it, but iPhone's battery life is bad enough, but having applications constantly run in the background is just disastrous. Maybe that's why Apple won't let apps to run in the background.
    2008-10-10 09:37 PM
    I think that's definitely expected and the downfall of Backgrounder. I love the idea of it, but iPhone's battery life is bad enough, but having applications constantly run in the background is just disastrous. Maybe that's why Apple won't let apps to run in the background.
    I should clarify I never actually used backgrounder. This drain was just having it installed.
    2008-10-10 09:40 PM
    I should clarify I never actually used backgrounder. This drain was just having it installed.
    this is the exact problem with cydia.

with the appstore, you know what your buying, and exactly what it's installing on your phone has been qa checked, and nothing runs in the background when closed!

with cydia, we have no idea of what an app is instlling or doing to our phones as end users, just trusting the developer and repo.

is it possible that just having cydia installed can drain the battery?

and im still confused that i can respring/reboot straight to the lock screen, opening nothing, and still lose battery whilst in standby? i mean allot of % not your normal 1/2% over an hour or so.

Suck it up, Sucker
    2008-10-10 10:44 PM
    I really wish we could find out for sure if cydia or installer was the culprit. I really feel that all those ingredients to cydia may be part of the battery drain. This is just my opinion and I dont know too much about the system files. Im thinking of just restoring right now and leaving cydia and installer off and then see what happens
    2008-10-11 12:43 AM
94 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD