User Tag List

My iPhone is currently running 1.1.1 jailbroken. BSD subsystem has been installed. In another thread I posted my travails about trying to upgrade to 1.1.3 and jailbreak with ZiPhone.

My current situation is this: The iPhone is functional. Installer is working but I have no 3rd party apps currently installed. Following the ZiPhone instructions, I sync'ed my iPhone in iTunes (v 7.4.2 running on OS X 10.5.2) and attempted to install the 1.1.3 upgrade.

1.1.3 will NOT install and after attempting, iTunes wants to restore the phone. The restore attempt results in the situation I describe in the thread at http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread....301#post192301

So I'm at an impasse. I can't upgrade. I'd like to upgrade to 1.1.3 and then jailbreak with ZiPhone, but that appears impossible.

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this? Maybe I need to uninstall BSD subsystem (not an option in Installer) and "un-jailbreak" to upgrade to 1.1.3, but I'm wondering if my backup file in iTunes is corrupted or something to prevent a restore.

Help appreciated!
    2008-02-28 02:41 AM
    If Itunes wants to restore the phone, let it. Wont hurt anything. Then upgrade to 1.1.3 if you have the firmware downloaded already (cause 1.1.4 is out) or upgrade to 1.1.4.

After that, Ziphone it to jailbreak. If you upgrade to 1.1.4 wait a couple days, a new version of Ziphone will be out to break 1.1.4.

Ohhh PS - forgot to mention, put the phone into "recovery mode" first and try that way, if you havent already.
    2008-02-28 03:55 AM
    If Itunes wants to restore the phone, let it. Wont hurt anything. Then upgrade to 1.1.3 if you have the firmware downloaded already (cause 1.1.4 is out) or upgrade to 1.1.4.

After that, Ziphone it to jailbreak. If you upgrade to 1.1.4 wait a couple days, a new version of Ziphone will be out to break 1.1.4.

Ohhh PS - forgot to mention, put the phone into "recovery mode" first and try that way, if you havent already.

Problem is, iTunes WON'T restore. I get an error message (can't remember the error number) and the phone automatically goes into recovery mode. Upon reconnecting to iTunes, after getting the "phone in recovery mode detected" message, it still won't restore or upgrade. It seems to be hung on this version of 1.1.3 without any workable options for restoring or upgrading.

I have a Wintel laptop. How about downloading iTunes on it and then hooking up my iPhone and then seeing what happens? (Although it will probably want to upgrade me from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4 and skip 1.1.3). Would this work to get my phone upgraded? Just a thought....
    2008-02-28 04:23 AM
    it wont restore because you are not in DFU mode... connect yur iphone to itunes and hold both the power and home button until itunes doesnt see the iphone.... then let go of only the power button and hold the home button until itunes recognizes the iphone in recovery mode... you'll be good to go.
    2008-02-28 01:47 PM
    it wont restore because you are not in DFU mode... connect yur iphone to itunes and hold both the power and home button until itunes doesnt see the iphone.... then let go of only the power button and hold the home button until itunes recognizes the iphone in recovery mode... you'll be good to go.
    Still doesn't work. I get the message, The iphone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred. (1603)

This happened on my attempt to upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4.

It seems I have a non-upgradeable iPhone. How do I fix this????
    2008-03-01 04:58 AM
    I'm having the same problem. Last night I updated my sources in installer and my phone just decided to reboot and has been just stuck at the connect to itunes. Plug it into itunes and it wants to force me to restore and update to 1.1.4. Try that and I got and error 50, now I keep getting error 1603
    2008-03-01 02:27 PM
    I'm having the same problem. Last night I updated my sources in installer and my phone just decided to reboot and has been just stuck at the connect to itunes. Plug it into itunes and it wants to force me to restore and update to 1.1.4. Try that and I got and error 50, now I keep getting error 1603
    Try this:
    Download 1.1.3 iphone firmware here: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=6

Hold shown the shift key and click restore, navigate to the 1.1.3 firmware and restore from there

Good Luck
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked
    2008-03-01 02:42 PM
    thanks...trying that now...i tried ziphone refurbish which did nothing for me.

nope no go....says preparing for restore for about a minute than gives me error 1603
    Last edited by Jayman11; 2008-03-01 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-03-01 03:07 PM
    try to boot the phone with iBrickr 0.91

this will detect you phone in restore mode and give you an option to boot it, use that option and the phone screen should turn red, if it does all is well and your phone will reboot, once rebooted try restoring to 1.1.3
    2008-03-01 03:22 PM
    ok i tried ibrickr .91.....screen turns red...stays red....it shuts off after about 30 secs or soon and reboots right back into the same connect to itunes screen. This is starting to sound like my phone is screwed. All I did was update my sources list last night when this happened.
    2008-03-01 03:37 PM
    OK another possibility,

Close iTune, also close the helper in task manager, if your not sure how, just uninstall itunes.

Move the usb to a different usb connector and try force booting in ibrickr again

It might be that you filled up your 300mb partition so if you get access you might want to try and uninstall or manually uninstall some packages before restoring
    Last edited by ericidle; 2008-03-01 at 03:50 PM.
    2008-03-01 03:47 PM
    I'm fixed....ended up d/ling the 1.1.3 restore file....updating Itunes to the lastest version and it worked from there. It appears the problem was iTunes not the phone.
    2008-03-01 04:08 PM
    I'm fixed....ended up d/ling the 1.1.3 restore file....updating Itunes to the lastest version and it worked from there. It appears the problem was iTunes not the phone.
    Downloading the most recent version of iTunes (7.6.1 for OS X Leopard) cured me too. Unfortunately I now have a 1.1.4 iPhone and AFAIK the jailbreak hasn't been released for it yet.

So how do I downgrade to 1.1.3 so I can jailbreak it?
    2008-03-01 08:14 PM
    Downloading the most recent version of iTunes (7.6.1 for OS X Leopard) cured me too. Unfortunately I now have a 1.1.4 iPhone and AFAIK the jailbreak hasn't been released for it yet.

No need to downgrade

wwww.Ziphone.org is a one click way to activate, jailbreak and unlock any version right up to 1.1.4 its really is as easy as that

And thanks for clicking thanks, help the other guy for ages and he never gave it a thought...........
    Last edited by ericidle; 2008-03-02 at 11:35 AM.
    2008-03-01 11:11 PM

I found out how to do it yesterday by the trial and error method. Finally came up with this, and it worked:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...601#post230601

Hope it helps.
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!
    2008-03-01 11:29 PM
    No need to downgrade

wwww.Ziphone.org is a one click way to activate, jailbreak and unlock any version right up to 1.1.4 its really is as easy as that

And thanks for clicking thank, help the other guy for ages and henever gave it a thought...........
    Yep ... found out that there is a new version of ZiPhone out and it jailbroke my 1.1.4 iPhone simple as that.

So I am good to go and I guess the moral of the story is always have the latest version of iTunes running when I try to upgrade my iPhone.

And you're welcome for the thanks for thanking ... I like to acknowledge it when I get some help.
    2008-03-01 11:48 PM
    Good morning,
    I have iphone 1.1.2 otb and I get error 1011 from itunes. I believe that here is a damage on the firmware. i tried to restore with ibrick,ziphone itunes nothing I downgraded to 1.1.1 but i can not make phonecalls it says call apple support. I s there anything I can do?
    2008-03-02 08:31 AM
    Good morning,
    I have iphone 1.1.2 otb and I get error 1011 from itunes. I believe that here is a damage on the firmware. i tried to restore with ibrick,ziphone itunes nothing I downgraded to 1.1.1 but i can not make phonecalls it says call apple support. I s there anything I can do?
    Be sure you have the absolute latest version of iTunes and then restore. My problems vanished when I upgraded to the most recent iTunes and then restored/upgraded.

Try using ZiPhone to activate only -- not jailbreak or unlock.
    2008-03-02 07:58 PM
    thanks to god you just have error 1603 i have error 1011 my iphone says Repair Needed
    2008-03-03 03:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD