User Tag List

So I upgraded to 2.2 and immediately noticed an extreme decrease in call quality. So, thinking it was something with a jailbroken app or process, I restored. Right after my fresh restore, I placed a call to several numbers all of which were terrible call quality. Equivalent to placing a call with 1 bar of signal-- like maybe in an elevator. Out of curiosity I went into settings and disabled 3G. Placed those same calls again and quality was crystal clear, back to normal. This wasn't an issue with 2.1 which I know I can't revert to since 2.2 involved a baseband update.

Apple is suggesting a replacement if I come into their store (closest is 2.5 hours away in Dallas). I'm fine with the drive/replacement etc....but, I've gotten conflicting reports reading about whether or not a freshly restored iPhone would reflect a history of being jailbroken in some sort of internal log?

I don't want to drive over there to have them say--- "Oh, you've jailbroken at one point we're not doing **** for you".

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    iPhone 3GS 16GB 3.0fw White + Jailbroken
    2008-12-04 04:20 PM
    I'd go there and see if they give you a new one. The worst they will do is turn you away. At least, I think so. I don't think that they would confiscate your iPhone if they saw that at some point it was jailbroken. They'd probably just say that they can't help you. That's my two cents anyways.

I also don't think that they would turn you away for being previously jailbroken as long as the phone is all set now. They might, but I doubt it. Then again, I've seen a lot about Apple being pricks lately. Anyways, I think that as long as you restored and set it up as a new phone you should be all set. That's also what this link says:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/10...phone-restore/
    Last edited by andypropaganda; 2008-12-04 at 04:46 PM.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.
    2008-12-04 04:42 PM
    Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I wrote my initial post while on hold with Apple support. The guy came back on and said 3G issues with 2.2 is a documented problem for some users, so I'm not the only one. I also found a post on their forums with some users also disabling 3G as a "workaround".

Funny thing is, the support guy came back suggesting I go back to 2.1 by doing a shift-restore in iTunes . He had no answer when I pointed out that more than likely my issue was a result of the baseband update and attempting to go back to 2.1 would not revert the baseband.

Oh well, guess I can shop around in Dallas anyways even if Apple Store does turn me down.
    2008-12-04 04:50 PM
    He had no answer when I pointed out that more than likely my issue was a result of the baseband update and attempting to go back to 2.1 would not revert the baseband.
    LOL that's funny, and that's probably because the majority of customer service people for just about any company don't know anything lol. They just follow tutorials half to the time.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.
    2008-12-04 05:16 PM
    I'll just turn 3G off for now...I'm on wifi most of the time anyway. Upside is, battery life should increase in the interim.
    2008-12-04 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD