User Tag List

Hey There,

I just bought a used 3g that I jailbroke. I don't have cell access where I live and am primarily using it to make calls with fring.

That said, I don't even have a sim card in the thing.

So I'm trying to figure out how to save battery life and have run across a few posts saying to turn off 3g and edge, and only use GPS for location services.

Question is: since I don't have a sim card in is the phone still able to triangulate my location over edge and, if so, how do I go about turning off edge while leaving GPS on? The latest version of bossprefs doesn't seem able to turn off edge... every time I tell it to, then relaunch it, it says edge is still on.... and the battery continues to drain more quickly than I should suspect.

Can anyone give me an overview of what's going on?
    2008-12-30 05:21 PM
    Boss Prefs v 2.15b has a 3g, Edge, wifi toggles.. If you don't see the toggles click on config and make sure that they are turned on.
    2008-12-30 06:53 PM
    I've got bosspreffs configured right... and when I click on Edge, it toggles off for a second, and then pops right back on... like it's being over-ridden by something.
    2008-12-30 07:15 PM
    you can't possibly be connected to edge or 3g without a sim card in your phone, and i just took my sim card out of the phone and gps works but unless you're connected to the internet via wifi there's no point in connecting to gps
    2008-12-30 08:17 PM
    Yea I don't know... given that the battery drains so fast unless I'm using airplane mode (with wifi manually switched on) I have my suspicions that the phone is still using cell in order to triangulate... wouldn't it be able to do that without a sim?
    2008-12-30 08:20 PM