Yeah so I've had my 2G for awhile and the internet is just killing me now..so Im deciding to just buy a unlocked 3G from here or ebay. I don't want to go to att&t and upgrade because they make u start a new contract right? Well yeah my question is since I have the data plan on my 2g..will i have the 3G if i just put my sim into the unlocked 3g iphone that im going to buy?
    2009-02-05 03:12 AM
    Yeah your good. But you WONT get 3g data speeds.

But you can call att and add the 3g package.....you will still be eligible for upgrade and wont have to sign a new contract.
    2009-02-05 03:14 AM
    oh cool ! im paying like 20/month for the internet..how much is the 3g gonna be?
    2009-02-05 03:16 AM
    3g data plan is $30.
    2009-02-05 03:32 AM
    Yeah your good. But you WONT get 3g data speeds.

But you can call att and add the 3g package.....you will still be eligible for upgrade and wont have to sign a new contract.
    Hoooooold on now. When I bought my black 16gb and was on the 2g plan I stuck my sim in it and turned it on, then signed onto the att website to check what it said and it said "your phone 16gb 3g iphone"

They know you're running the hardware and once you have it, you are not eligible for an upgrade. Happened to me a month and a half ago, but I still got the upgrade by immediately going to the ATT store 2 miles away and he said it had not updated yet in the system, but upgrade now before it does. it had only been 20 mins since I did it and my att online said 3g iphone when I logged in so I had ran like hell down there to get it before the system updated my actual PLAN and kept me from getting the upgrade.
    2009-02-05 03:40 AM
    ^They cant force your "eligible upgrade" which consists of you signing a new 2 year contract with them....because you bought a 3g elsewhere.

They would have hell to pay if they did that to me.
    2009-02-05 04:20 AM
    The kick you out of being eligible for an upgrade by you breaking the original agreement and running a 3g phone on a 2g contract. No hell to pay, you are in violation.
    2009-02-05 05:45 AM
    ^I maybe confused then....

I talking about buying a 3g elsewhere.....adding the "3g data package" and you SHOULD still be eligible for an upgrade later.

No violation. In this manner, they have no right to void your upgrade.
    2009-02-05 05:48 AM
    lol you guys got me confused period!..so what you are talkin about now is still being able to upgrade..dont when u upgrade the phone only costs 2bills+?
    2009-02-05 05:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD